Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is This a SnakeBite Puncture (w/Pic)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 10:26 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

I was out on a normal ride today and had a flat. I weigh 160 lbs and am riding Conti GP 5000 (23mm) clincher tires that measure 25mm. I am pushing limits on tire pressure and riding at 80 pounds in the rear.

I had ridden about 10 miles and the last 1.5 miles was on the absolutely smoothest asphalt in the tri-county area (just put down about a month ago). I suddenly noticed some vibration from the rear (20 mph maybe) and looked down at the pavement to see if it was suddenly a bit rough and it was not. So I pulled off and I had a flat. I changed that out and just rode home (don't like riding without a spare and didn't feel like finding/patching a tube on the road).

When I got home I found a 'kind of snake bite pattern' in the Bontrager tube that is only a few months old. Here is the picture.

The first slash in the tire is clear. The second one didn't come out of the picture so I drew it in as the small red line. The two slashes are 5mm apart and roughly in the area where the tube would meet the bead of the wheel (and about 180 degrees from the tube stem).

I had not hit anything remotely rough on this ride and the previous 5 or so minutes had been on the smoothest pavement around here. I have checked the rim insides in that area and I guess that I need to take the tire completely off and give the inside a good scrubbing/inspection. But thoughts on what this is. I have never had a snake bit flat, but this is not exactly what I thought that one would look like. It clearly was not made by each side of the rim bead smashing against the tube.

Thanks.

dave
Old 07-11-19, 10:55 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Yea probabaly. You dont always get snakebites on both sides if you dont hit a object squarely. Say you hit a rock on one sidewall only it can compress and deflect that side alone. More likely to happen when the tire is deflecting when the bike is leaned over
Old 07-11-19, 11:10 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Originally Posted by redlude97
Yea probabaly. You dont always get snakebites on both sides if you dont hit a object squarely. Say you hit a rock on one sidewall only it can compress and deflect that side alone. More likely to happen when the tire is deflecting when the bike is leaned over
Thanks for the response. That makes sense but (to me) is inconsistent with both the angles of the slashes and the fact that there are two of them 5 mm apart. Then again - it isn't like I have an answer that is better.

dave
Old 07-11-19, 11:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Looks like it. The temptation on BF is always to scold people for not pumping their tires high enough, but in many cases, it's likely they had a slow leak that made it easier for a snakebite to happen.

Another thought: did you use any tire levers to finish installing the tire? You mentioned that it happened about 180 degrees from the valve.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-11-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 11:37 AM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Looks like it. The temptation on BF is always to scold people for not pumping their tires high enough, but in many cases, it's likely they had a slow leak that made it easier for a snakebite to happen.

Another thought: did you use any tire levers to finish installing the tire? You mentioned that it happened about 180 degrees from the valve.
There have been times that I have had to use tire levers to install a tire. I don't think that this is the case with the particular tire/tube, but I cannot be certain of that. I am pretty cautious when forced to do that. My 70 year old, somewhat arthritic hands simply cannot (sometimes) manage otherwise. But I just don't see how that particular pattern would come from impact with the rim. And given my aggressive choice of tire pressures, I air up/check my tires before every ride.

dave
Old 07-11-19, 01:13 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Thanks for the response. That makes sense but (to me) is inconsistent with both the angles of the slashes and the fact that there are two of them 5 mm apart. Then again - it isn't like I have an answer that is better.

dave
More common with MTBs but still possible with road tires if there is enough rollover which is more likely with low pressures
Old 07-11-19, 01:34 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Did you see a snake in the area? I also see only 1 fang mark.
Old 07-11-19, 01:43 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by seypat
Did you see a snake in the area? I also see only 1 fang mark.
The 2nd cut did not show up in the pic. I drew it in as the small red line. Dave
Old 07-11-19, 02:44 PM
DaveLeeNC

Well, I found the problem. First I watched the TdF that we had recorded. Fortunately for me my wife has become something of a pro cycling fan - she has more opinions about this than the typical BF poster . I took the tire off, carefully cleaned out the insides (nothing there) then carefully inspected the outside. At or just below where the sidewall starts, were two relatively sharp gashes that exactly match the gashes in the tire. Obviously I hit something pretty sharp, didn't notice (or didn't remember) it, and it forced the tire against the inside of the rim wall. And the rest is history. I doubt that another 10 psi would have mattered. And another tire bites the dust.

Thanks for all the comments/help.

dave
Old 07-11-19, 03:01 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
.................................... I doubt that another 10 psi would have mattered. .....................
Bet +20psi might have prevented it.
Old 07-11-19, 03:20 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I am surprised your tire bottomed out at 80 PSI. I am about the same weight and pump up my tires, 28mm, to 60 PSI or slightly over and don't get snake bites. There is the possibility that your air pressure was low to begin with. Before going to 28mm tires I used 25mm pumped up to 70 PSI.
Old 07-11-19, 03:31 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by berner
I am surprised your tire bottomed out at 80 PSI. I am about the same weight and pump up my tires, 28mm, to 60 PSI or slightly over and don't get snake bites. There is the possibility that your air pressure was low to begin with. Before going to 28mm tires I used 25mm pumped up to 70 PSI.
If you believe that 'standard' recommended psi vs. wheel load chart generated long ago, (e.g., https://i.stack.imgur.com/9RFfR.png ) and you assume that my spec'ed 23 mm tires are about 2 mm less wide than your (spec'ed) 25 mm tires, 70 psi at 25 mm is probably a tad 'safer' than is 80 psi at 23 mm.

dave
Old 07-12-19, 10:51 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
At 160# 80psi seems to be plenty, but it depends on what you hit and at what speed, and if you had your full weight on the saddle at the moment of impact. Stuff happens.