Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 09:24 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Based on how widespread the use of FS is in their line, getting parts won't be an issue for the life of the bike. I have it, really like it, and I'm not worried.
Except that you can count on Specialized introducing second, third, and fourth generation versions of the future shock. Most likely every 3 or 4 years, which is about the time a lot of owners of the previous generation FS will need to replace theirs. I hope Specialized makes the future versions of this part backwards compatible, but I suspect it will not be.
Old 01-20-18, 09:51 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
So what happens when it's shot? If it's anything like aging suspension on a car, I would think that it could be hazardous on a bicycle. It'd be weird for a lawsuit-happy corporation to open themselves to that kind of liability.
IDK, maybe death wobble?
Old 01-20-18, 09:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
I have a pre-Future Shock Roubaix.

Should I have my Zertz inserts replaced? They clearly have well over 500 hours on them.
Old 01-20-18, 10:34 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by datlas
I have a pre-Future Shock Roubaix.

Should I have my Zertz inserts replaced? They clearly have well over 500 hours on them.
Precisely my point. What happens when the inserts need to be replaced? Will Specialized support the previous gen technology?
Old 01-20-18, 10:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Precisely my point. What happens when the inserts need to be replaced? Will Specialized support the previous gen technology?
Well, I was half joking. The Zertz should last a lifetime.

If it turns out the Future Shock needs to be replaced every year (for "serious cyclists") or every few years for casual ones, I don't see that this is a huge problem. More like a nuisance. Specialized is a big enough entity that I expect they will support this technology for quite some time. I can understand that some people who jumped in on the new tech may feel bothered, but this is not unusual for any "first generation" new tech and probably mostly a tempest in a teapot.
Old 01-20-18, 11:04 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by datlas
Well, I was half joking. The Zertz should last a lifetime.

If it turns out the Future Shock needs to be replaced every year (for "serious cyclists") or every few years for casual ones, I don't see that this is a huge problem. More like a nuisance. Specialized is a big enough entity that I expect they will support this technology for quite some time. I can understand that some people who jumped in on the new tech may feel bothered, but this is not unusual for any "first generation" new tech and probably mostly a tempest in a teapot.
I would hope so, but I wouldn't count on it. Didn't Cannondale make something like the Future Shock for road bikes years ago? My understanding is, replacements for those shocks are no longer supported by Cannondale, so if you own one of those bikes, the alternatives are finding someone to repair it, or buying a NOS one on Ebay.
Old 01-21-18, 07:46 PM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Roubaix last fall. Not sure I'm really worried about getting the cartridge when it wears out(not sure how to keep track of the hours though). I am a little annoyed that I didn't know about the need to replace the cartridge before I purchased the bike; I was on the fence between the Roubaix and a Domane and it would have been one more thing to think about. After reading about the issue here I did contact my LBS who sold me the bike and they had no idea about the need to replace. Just to be safe I ordered a replacement cartridge.
Old 01-21-18, 11:52 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
May be not quite a fair comparison, but my experience with Specialized Dropper Seatpost (for a mountain bike), which similarly requires maintenance. Specialized makes some minor changes to the part each year, most of the time local dealers do not have the part (which is tear and wear) in stock. To replace, you need a tools, basically a simple plastic washer, which you cannot obtain anywhere, so you have to pay the dealer $65 for work and $40 for the part, for what is a 10 minutes work to do the maintenance. Every time it takes between 1 and 2 weeks to do the maintenance.
I was lucky (or so I thought) to buy several of those for my mtb stable at a very discounted price, but I paid several times over it's price in maintenance now.
Old 01-22-18, 07:40 AM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Exactly. The service interval on the future shock is only an issue for people who weren't going to buy one anyway.
I agree with this!

I see lots of naysayers that are negative about it, but don't actually own a bike with FS....Specialized has quite a few bikes designed around the FS, I doubt they'll go away any time soon.

500hrs with what other factors.....I weigh 155lb, maybe I'll get 800hrs?

I ride much more because of it specifically. It's added hours to my riding and I'll consider it a wearable item, like chains. No biggie, it's worth it to me. If its not to you, don't buy it, but why complain about it?
Old 01-22-18, 04:35 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still cheaper than Canonodale lefty shock on slate?
Old 01-22-18, 07:52 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The comparisons with current and past off-road suspensions provide all of the answers.
Suspension components typically require some degree of maintenance, and this is expected.
As with suspension forks, a neglected suspension initially becomes sticky and harsh more than dangerous.
And as with old Headshocks, the aftermarket provides reducer "cups" that allow one to fit a conventional headset and suspended or rigid fork of the customer's choosing, just as future owners of these well-aged Future Shok bikes may likely be able to choose to more economically fit their stem rigidly to the steerer.

This Future Shok was designed I believe to compensate for the extreme rigidity in the fork legs that is mandated by the use of a disc caliper mounted to the left leg. I was curious as to how well that this bike's ride remains well-controlled versus having the bars tugging at your hands in response to the Future Shok topping-out of it's travel, but the picture clearly shows the use of a dual-rate spring on the rebound side of the piston to better cushion the upper limit of it's travel.

I was told by a guy working in their "destructive" endurance testing department that all of the testing of earlier Roubaix frames was done without the Zertz fittings present, so their removal shouldn't prevent the bike's use if the elastomers were to fall out or were perhaps removed due to rattling.

It is expected that support for a sporting product becomes more limited as the product's features become dated, just as the owner of a pro-level 10s Dura-Ace bike can no longer buy a Dura-Ace level chain for it because no more CN-HG7800 chains have been made for a long time now. Those are like $900 bikes now, so the Ultegra level chain is fully expected to satisfy the owner of such a bike after so many years have gone by.
A big part of the cost that a US customer pays for bicycles and parts pays for the liability that these still-in-circulation products impose for years to come on the company that sells them, and there is thus no great motivation for the maker to encourage their use beyond a duration that satisfies a certain majority of buyers, the sort of buyers that might buy from the same company again and not so much the buyer of the bike used or the buyer who rides the same bike for a near-lifetime.

Last edited by dddd; 01-22-18 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 09:24 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Fwiw, my plan is still to buy a Diverge or Roubaix with the Future Shock. Imo, it is a watershed design that has lead to the bikes being simultaneously faster and much less fatiguing over long rides, particularly gravel. I'm more annoyed that they didn't even bother to tell dealers about the service interval and details, which is typical of them.
Old 01-22-18, 10:03 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Bottom line for me? If the bike is much better than anything I've ridden, then the hell with worrying about the maintenance cost. Buy the damn thing.
Old 01-22-18, 10:37 PM
DoYouDiverge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Fwiw, my plan is still to buy a Diverge or Roubaix with the Future Shock. Imo, it is a watershed design that has lead to the bikes being simultaneously faster and much less fatiguing over long rides, particularly gravel. I'm more annoyed that they didn't even bother to tell dealers about the service interval and details, which is typical of them.
Is it even legal for Specialized to withhold that information until after the sale of a Future Shock bike?

I'm curious what will the total labor/cost will be on replacing the cartridge. It also seems silly that the replacement period is a measure of hours rather than miles.
Old 01-23-18, 10:58 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
@DoYouDiverge I'm not sure, that thought struck me as well. I'm sure a company like Spec has probably already thought that through before taking such a decision.

Back tracking on my previous post, I've decided to not pursue a new bike with Future Shock for a couple reasons. Expensive bikes for me are long term purchases and it would be foolish to get into the first generation of this without having a clue how this will mature. 2. Call me retrogrouch, but maybe it's faster and more comfortable BUT there is a purity and connection with bike that's removed by adding any sort suspension to a road bike. I'm sure I'll be muttering differently next time I'm getting beat up by a washboarded road.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 01-23-18 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-23-18, 12:35 PM
hagak

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
So what happens when it's shot? If it's anything like aging suspension on a car, I would think that it could be hazardous on a bicycle. It'd be weird for a lawsuit-happy corporation to open themselves to that kind of liability.
Unless it separates I would suspect little hazard would be involved. It only moves 2cm up and down. I suspect it stops performing its job via either being overly stiff or bottoming out, nether of which would be much of a hazard. Now if it were to physically break and become 2 parts that would be an issue. Its job is more about comfort and less about traction like in your car.
Old 01-23-18, 01:10 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
@DoYouDiverge I'm not sure, that thought struck me as well. I'm sure a company like Spec has probably already thought that through before taking such a decision.

Back tracking on my previous post, I've decided to not pursue a new bike with Future Shock for a couple reasons. Expensive bikes for me are long term purchases and it would be foolish to get into the first generation of this without having a clue how this will mature. 2. Call me retrogrouch, but maybe it's faster and more comfortable BUT there is a purity and connection with bike that's removed by adding any sort suspension to a road bike. I'm sure I'll be muttering differently next time I'm getting beat up by a washboarded road.
I'm no lawyer and I'm just pontificating but I would doubt that there is any legal liability here. Nobody lists that chains should be replaced every x upon sale of a bike, brake pads, etc. Same for cars, motorcycles yada yada. In the owners manual perhaps they list service needs and requirements but again probably just to reduce liability.

Could you imagine someone in a bike shop saying "yup, this is a great bike, fits you perfectly and rides like a dream, but be forewarned, you need to change out this piece every 500 hours (which may be a year, or 5 who knows), your brake pads when they pass this line, your chain and cassette every 2000 miles..." you get the point

I hear you on your reason for not getting the bike. Rational enough but on the retro grouch thing, purity of feel can only go so far. If I'm more comfortable on a bike I'm riding longer with less fatigue, that makes me a happier camper and I ride more!

I can't remember from the beginning of the thread... Had you already tried the bike and was it incrementally better than anything else you've ridden?

Good luck on your purchase either way!
Old 01-23-18, 01:41 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I wonder if the 500 hour recommendation is something that they've only come up with as they gained history with bikes in the field passing that point. In other words, they didn't intentionally deceive anyone or withhold information early on. They just didn't know any better until bikes started coming in a little dodgy after 500 hours of use.

I wonder if the problem isn't the spring (which doesn't make sense to me) but is rather the bearings. If grit can get to the needle bearings, it seems you could end up with some resistance / grinding / binding issues with turning the bar from side to side. If that's the problem, I could see why they might prescribe a preventative replacement every so often. The CPSC might even mandate it.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 01-23-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 05:36 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I wonder if the 500 hour recommendation is something that they've made since bikes in the field have been passing that point. In other words, they didn't intentionally deceive anyone or withhold information early on. They just didn't know any better until bikes started coming in a little dodgy after 500 hours of use.

I wonder if the problem isn't the spring (which doesn't make sense to me) but is rather the bearings. If grit can get to the needle bearings, it seems you could end up with some resistance / grinding / binding issues with turning the bar from side to side. If that's the problem, I could see why they might prescribe a preventative replacement every so often. The CPSC might even mandate it.
I think you're spot on. We have seen the posts about these things making noise and now they claim it is normal. I would not be happy to find this out after the fact.
Old 01-23-18, 05:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
According to Strava, I tipped just over 500 hours on the bike last year. Whew!!!
Distributed between several bikes, of course.

I wonder if Specialized will warranty that part. Just bring in the old one once a year for a replacement (and to restart the warranty clock).

It would be fun to try the Future Shock, but I'm still leaning towards the rigid bars Roubaix if I ever was to buy one.
Old 01-23-18, 06:28 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
So not only does Specialized reduce the recommended weight for riding a future shock equipped Roubaix(does this weight recommendation apply to all future shock equipped bikes?), but they then after the fact state that there is now a 500hr replacement cycle to follow.

Have they been getting real life data that they didn't anticipate and pick up in their own testing?

This sounds disastrous for Specialized.

I'm a prime contender for a Sirrus in the future, but not anymore, at least until things become a lot clearer on the future of future shock.
Old 01-23-18, 06:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I have heard that Silk Road Headshoks are a wonderful design, but almost impossible to find good parts for.

Oh, wait, that was Cannondale, not Specialized.

I hope Specialized does better with long-term product support.
Old 01-23-18, 09:32 PM
uwsrider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
other parts too

This just happened with the Specialized proprietary SCS Wheelset that they added to certain disc brake bikes (Roubaix, Diverge). They phased it out and its really difficult to find SCS wheels. Specialized is really forward thinking with their engineering, but they only engineer for proprietary replacement..
Old 01-24-18, 12:58 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
A good reason to ride faster.
a good reason NOT to buy a Roubaix or Diverge. A 500 hour service interval for replacement is ABSURD.

This from a guy who owns and rides a Specialized RoubaixSL3 Pro almost everyday. Best bike I have ever owned. No FS for me. I was on the bubble a bit about the FS being an actual benefit it not riding pot hole strewn roads. This confirms it for me. No FS. Didn't want the disc brakes anyway...another head wind for me...I don't do high speed descents.

PS: there have been reported issues with the FS with untoward noises that some owners have complained about.

Thanks for the public service OP of letting us know. I had no idea.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-24-18 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 01:44 PM
coolkat
Cyclist

Bikes: '84 Univega Specialissima, Rawland Stag, '87 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Just look at some of the unsupported proprietary shocks on their mountain bikes, like the Epic. That's your future with one of these things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.