Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Slightly above entry lever bikes

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 02:25 PM
Bassmaticmatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello first post here. I am looking to get into mountain biking. I've decided I want hydrolic disc brakes, a lockable 100mm fork and decent components. I test drove a specialized rockhopper sport and liked it quite a bit. I've also considered the Motobecane 529ht. They seem to be simular in spec. Am I wrong? There is close to a $300 difference in price. Is that difference Becouse one says Specialized? Or are the shimano parts superior to the Shram/suntour parts? Also is the fork comparable?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-18, 05:13 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmaticmatt
Hello first post here. I am looking to get into mountain biking. I've decided I want hydrolic disc brakes, a lockable 100mm fork and decent components. I test drove a specialized rockhopper sport and liked it quite a bit. I've also considered the Motobecane 529ht. They seem to be simular in spec. Am I wrong? There is close to a $300 difference in price. Is that difference Becouse one says Specialized? Or are the shimano parts superior to the Shram/suntour parts? Also is the fork comparable?

Thanks in advance.
Give links to the bikes with their specs and prices.
Old 03-13-18, 05:31 PM
Bassmaticmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Give links to the bikes with their specs and prices.
I can't it's my first post.
Old 03-14-18, 07:37 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
here is the link 29er Mountain Bikes Up to 60% Off - MTB - Motobecane 529HT
Old 03-14-18, 07:40 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
If you want a bike with decent components you're going to have to kick it up a notch to the Rock Hopper Pro.

Suntour Forks are all junk.
Old 03-14-18, 07:47 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I have suntour forks on my fuji I ride cross country trails they work fine. Eventually when it wears out ill replace with an air fork. they arent bad for the job I throw at them.
Old 03-14-18, 09:24 AM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-2

I just bought a Giant Talon 2 from the LBS. I like it quite a bit, the rear derailleur (Deore Shadow) works great, and the gearing is amazing for steep climbs. And the brakes feel great to me too, they are Shimano units (instead of Tektro like on the lower model). But yes, as pointed out with many bikes in this price range, the low end fork leaves a lot to be desired. This becomes very clear when you go down a bumpy descent going fast enough to have fun. It gets really shaky and sounds like the fork is getting beat up pretty bad. So for these couple spots on my ride I just go a bit slower.

With that being said though, if you're a REAL beginner (like myself) and you just want to practice basic riding techniques and fundamentals, I feel like its a fine choice. I'm just getting used to riding up (and down) paths that are much steeper than I've ever ridden, getting used to being high up on narrower paths, keeping the bike level when going off small drops, body positioning, etc. The gearing is good enough to get you into the fun stuff, and the brakes are good enough to keep you out of trouble. Oh and it coming tubeless is pretty nice!

20180311_102034 by Luan Pham, on Flickr

Last edited by RALEIGH_COMP; 03-14-18 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-14-18, 02:57 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Spend some more money and get a better bike! You don't need a 29er.

27.5+
https://www.rei.com/product/124172/s...-275-bike-2018

29'r
https://www.rei.com/product/133276/s...-nx1-29er-bike

Last edited by StarBiker; 03-14-18 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 04:50 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Spend some more money and get a better bike! ...

Sometimes you gotta draw the line somewhere! lol And for some of us peasants that line is low. Also somethings to consider into additional cost is riding accessories that can really help you enjoy the riding experience. So far I have only gotten pedals and shoes, one pair of riding clothes, and a hydration pack. All together over 200 bucks for sure, things I would have had to add to the cost of any bike.

Plus I hate the thoght of being a total noob that got more machine than he knows what to do with, like a guy that gets a crazy high performance sports car but still sucks at driving.
Old 03-14-18, 05:23 PM
StarBiker

Spending $750 when you can get a much better bike for a $1000 makes no sense.
And every bike I have ever owned with the exception of the two bikes my Father purchased for me in my youth came from thrift stores. So I understand the lack of funds. There is a saying about being penny wise, and pound foolish.
Also consider a clean used purchase on a nearby CL. How many people spend a lot of money on a bike, ride it for a while and get bored and want to sell. I would never buy anything new! Let somebody else pay for it. They will, just read the follow up comments after this post.
Old 03-14-18, 06:02 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
The extra $300 for the rockhopper is worth it for the Suntour air fork. Ontop of that you have the deore group, and ease of purchase at a local store.

Depends what you do, but I would buy used either way. A big problem is I believe the motobecane doesn't have a tapered head tube, so your fork options for upgrade are very very limited.
Old 03-15-18, 07:46 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Check out last year's Diamondback Mason Trail, on sale now for like $700 after you fold in "corporate discount," 5% discount code, 3% rebate. It has raked-out geometry, plus-size tires, an air fork, 1x drivetrain, and tubeless rims.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-15-18 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 03:22 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Well seeing as how I'm the noob, OP you'd be best not to listen to me lol. Just trying to give some input from a VERY beginner standpoint on the price/ bike range you were asking about. But really, if you see yourself doing hard serious riding, probably best to spend more like others are advising. I can see myself staying in my little comfort zone for a quite a bit while I get the basics down. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 03-15-18, 06:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Well between the two bikes you list, I think the Specialized is a better bike. Better fork (though neither is a “good” fork), and Shimano makes good hydro brakes.

Also, if you are a beginner (unsure if you are new the riding or just new to mountain biking), the support of a local shop that sells the Specialzed may be a good thing.

Also, I am seeing a ~$225 difference in the list prices not $300. And while the $399 for the BD bike is pretty set in stone, the $625 for the Specialized may not at the bike shop, so the difference may be less.

As others have said, if you can possibly afford more, do it. In this price range, what $200 can get you can make a big difference on the trail, and it is MUCH cheaper to get something a little better up front than to go cheap at first and then try to upgrade.

I would advise caution buying used off craigslist unless you know what to look for.

Sure, you can get a bike that cost $1000 new for $400, and if it has seen light use or has been well maintained, that is a great deal.

But you can also end up with a $1000 bike with a shot suspension fork, worn out drivetrain, and shot hub bearings. You need to know how to look out for these things.
Old 03-15-18, 07:52 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I don't know your size but if you look around, you can find a bike somewhere on clearance with decent components. You'll have to deal with getting one sight unseen, it may not fit, possibly having to put it together yourself, maybe the wheel bent in shipping etc but that happens with any mail order bike. Other options? Like others said. LBS or take your chances used on CL/facebook.

An example
https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mens...1ID?th=1&psc=1
The current price is $677, it will probably change back to retail price > $1000 as soon as 1 or 2 sell again (Amazon pricing does that on bikes). In theory, Amazon shipped and sold offers free setup/assembly at a local shop.
It's not a "Walmart Mongoose", the components are great and above what is on any bikes at that price point if you can get it for under $700.
Mongoose | Tyax 27.5 Pro

If you dig around somewhere you can find the size, the wheel (29 or 27.5) and a price you want somewhere. How much do you want to spend and how much do you want to look

Is $700 to high? There is always the Diamondback overdrive on sale and a number of bikesdirect bikes in the $300-400 range. Nothing great but could serve you well for years and 1/2 the price.

Last edited by u235; 03-15-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 10:55 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Well between the two bikes you list, I think the Specialized is a better bike. Better fork (though neither is a “good” fork), and Shimano makes good hydro brakes.

Also, if you are a beginner (unsure if you are new the riding or just new to mountain biking), the support of a local shop that sells the Specialzed may be a good thing.

Also, I am seeing a ~$225 difference in the list prices not $300. And while the $399 for the BD bike is pretty set in stone, the $625 for the Specialized may not at the bike shop, so the difference may be less.

As others have said, if you can possibly afford more, do it. In this price range, what $200 can get you can make a big difference on the trail, and it is MUCH cheaper to get something a little better up front than to go cheap at first and then try to upgrade.

I would advise caution buying used off craigslist unless you know what to look for.

Sure, you can get a bike that cost $1000 new for $400, and if it has seen light use or has been well maintained, that is a great deal.

But you can also end up with a $1000 bike with a shot suspension fork, worn out drivetrain, and shot hub bearings. You need to know how to look out for these things.
This is where common sense should prevail. Be picky, and try to buy in person.
Do a close by Ebay search so you can potentially see the bike before you buy
I can't remember the model/year, but I know a guy who works in the bike department of my local REI and he is asking $1200 for a beautiful full suspension Santa Cruz. The frame looks mint. The whole bike looks mint.
Old 03-16-18, 02:56 AM
WestWAGiant

Bikes: Giant Talon 2, Specialized Enduro Pro

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started off on a Giant Talon 650B with hydraulic brakes and Suntour forks. It got me started and really got me hooked on mountain biking. I did a couple single track races and was hooked. I was bottoming out the Suntour forks within the first year. Suntour does have a buyback upgrade program that is pretty good. I upgraded the forks, handlebar, grips and pedals and it was a lot better but I still really wanted a full suspension. I was looking at the Stumpy before I bought my Enduro. The Stumpy is a great bike and you cant go wrong with it. Check all the local bike shops and see if they might have a 2017 left lying around somewhere so you can get a really good deal.
Old 03-16-18, 01:38 PM
Bflutz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If you want a bike with decent components you're going to have to kick it up a notch to the Rock Hopper Pro.

Suntour Forks are all junk.

Not really Suntour just snatched the low end market. They make really good forks (Axon, Durolux, Rux). They were the first to make cartridge forks 13 years ago. Rockshox make some junk forks too like the XC 28. Saying Suntour is junk is like saying Giant or Trek suck because they make some low end bikes.
Old 03-18-18, 09:06 PM
Bassmaticmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies and info. I ended up buying a used Motobecane Phantom Pro 29er. It has a rock shox air shock with remote lock out. Deore XT derailers and shifters as well a juicy five hydrolic brakes. I payed the same $400 I would have for the 529ht but better components. I am new to mountain biking but I have been road biking for a while. I'm sticking to the bunny trails for the time being and practicing jumping and manuals and other things I never needed to know how to do on a road bike. Also one post saying I don't need a 29er is correct however I'm 6'3" and I find the smaller wheels awkward. Probably Becouse of my road biking background. Lastly one poster mentioned that the 529ht is $399 and the rockhopper $649ish and that is not a $300 difference in price. That is correct however the rockhopper is located locally and I live in Texas sales tax is 8.25% here. Bikes Direct is no shipping no tax to Texas so I was taking that into account. So far I'm ecstatic about my new used ride. It's more bike than I know what to do with, but hopefully that won't be the case for too long.
Old 03-19-18, 10:50 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
congrats, decent bike for the price. My son has the 529HT, if you start getting serious, you will need more. But to start with, it is a good bike.
Old 03-19-18, 12:29 PM
Bassmaticmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hig4s
congrats, decent bike for the price. My son has the 529HT, if you start getting serious, you will need more. But to start with, it is a good bike.
Thanks I'm ecstatic.