Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Motobecane Whipshot Ti

Old 01-02-19, 09:05 AM
MTBHHP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ShaneShane for the feedback on my rear derailleur issue. I will have a closer look at my chain length and brake pads/springs.

I also found another potentially big issue, I just emailed BD about. The rear brake is leaking fluid under the shifter hood, from the side of the master cylinder, not the bleed port screw. A few drops come out when I squeeze the brake lever. The front side brake may be a little moist here, but not leaking like this. I assume this may be a SRAM manufacturing defect?
Old 01-02-19, 02:39 PM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by criswell
Looking at picking up a Whipshot...what are the biggest tires that you guys have put on? Anyone using the 40c WTB Nanos or something similar?
Sorry I haven't tried any other tires yet. I have a set of Maxxis Rambler 700x40c that I expect to fit.
Old 01-03-19, 09:38 AM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People with these Force hydraulic brakes may want to peel back the rubber shifter hoods and make sure there aren't any brake fluid leaks under there. There's a seam on the side where brake fluid was leaking out on mine when I fully squeezed the brake lever. I was able to tightened down the 4 reservoir cover bolts a bit and this seems to have helped. Cleaned and dried with alcohol. But that seam still gets a little damp with brake fluid when I pull the brake lever, which doesn't seem normal? This is only happening on the right (rear) brake.

I'd appreciate any feedback if you're seeing this on yours or not. I do my own wrenching, but haven't worked on these brakes before. I'm reviewing the SRAM service manual.
Old 01-03-19, 09:49 AM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sucks I have to deal with this and broken derailleur hanger right out of the box. Waiting to hear back from BikesDirect whether they can compensate me any to deal with this myself, or just ship bike back for exchange/refund. They were hinting they wanted me to take to a bike shop and deal with a possible SRAM warranty claim.
Old 01-03-19, 04:08 PM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "leaky" hydro brake reservoir shouldn't be a big issue. I got some compensation from BD, and should be able to deal with it myself. Happy to be keeping this bike now.
Old 01-04-19, 12:06 PM
shaneshane

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good to hear that it's not an issue.

I had found the same liquid in the right side shifter/brake (rear), and I wiped it away, and it stays dry, I figured it should be the residual when they do factory bleeding.

I do not have any brake problem or perceive any brake power loss so I guess it's not an issue.
Let me know what you figured out with BikesDirect

Originally Posted by MTBHHP
My "leaky" hydro brake reservoir shouldn't be a big issue. I got some compensation from BD, and should be able to deal with it myself. Happy to be keeping this bike now.

Last edited by shaneshane; 01-04-19 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 05:17 PM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My right side shifter/brake would get a few drops of brake fluid every time I fully squeezed the lever. BD suggested I just try tightening up those 4 reservoir cover bolts. I was able to tighten them up a bit, and the leaking has pretty much gone away. The brake power still seems OK, so I'm just going to keep my eye on this. Not looking like I'll need to bleed the brakes unless I try shortening the long brake cable. BD gave me a small refund and shipped 2 replacement hangers for the broken one. BD was very responsive and I'm happy now.

I haven't checked whether I have too short a chain or the brake pad/spring issue yet. But I'll deal with that later. I also have their Mulkick CX Pro bike that came with SRAM Force 1x11. It also came with a 110 link chain, but only has 40T front chain ring, . So the 110 link chain may be too short for a 42T chain ring like the Whipshot has.
Old 01-06-19, 09:03 PM
shaneshane

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTBHHP, Great to know

Also, given so many people had jumped on this deal, seems we got a bigger group of Whipshot Ti owners. would be great to know where are you guys and we can see if possible to have some bike events.
I'm in Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area.

Originally Posted by MTBHHP
My right side shifter/brake would get a few drops of brake fluid every time I fully squeezed the lever. BD suggested I just try tightening up those 4 reservoir cover bolts. I was able to tighten them up a bit, and the leaking has pretty much gone away. The brake power still seems OK, so I'm just going to keep my eye on this. Not looking like I'll need to bleed the brakes unless I try shortening the long brake cable. BD gave me a small refund and shipped 2 replacement hangers for the broken one. BD was very responsive and I'm happy now.

I haven't checked whether I have too short a chain or the brake pad/spring issue yet. But I'll deal with that later. I also have their Mulkick CX Pro bike that came with SRAM Force 1x11. It also came with a 110 link chain, but only has 40T front chain ring, . So the 110 link chain may be too short for a 42T chain ring like the Whipshot has.
Old 01-07-19, 08:06 AM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneshane
MTBHHP, Great to know

Also, given so many people had jumped on this deal, seems we got a bigger group of Whipshot Ti owners. would be great to know where are you guys and we can see if possible to have some bike events.
I'm in Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area.
Yes, that would be nice if we lived close enough together. I'm in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area so you would be a little too far for me . But maybe some others are closer.
Old 08-03-19, 10:46 AM
Danbob

Bikes: 2016 Modded Trek Domane 4.5, 2007 Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resurecting. Probably been over 10 years and a whole lot of cycling experience since I posted on here...so I work part time for a shop and we sell zeroooooo brands of ti bikes. It is a shame because I coudl have gotten a foundry when we sold them a few years back. I know these moto frames are made by Ora, which is great, but the question is....Lynsky or this? They are within a couple hundred dollars of each other and i desperately want a ti bike ot add to my collection and possibly replace my aluminum jamis renegade frame. Parts are all sram 1x and will be transferred over save for wheels. Also do they still not clearcoat the ti frames? Because I want a bare frame so the decals gotta go.
Old 08-03-19, 08:03 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Danbob
Resurecting. Probably been over 10 years and a whole lot of cycling experience since I posted on here...so I work part time for a shop and we sell zeroooooo brands of ti bikes. It is a shame because I coudl have gotten a foundry when we sold them a few years back. I know these moto frames are made by Ora, which is great, but the question is....Lynsky or this? They are within a couple hundred dollars of each other and i desperately want a ti bike ot add to my collection and possibly replace my aluminum jamis renegade frame. Parts are all sram 1x and will be transferred over save for wheels. Also do they still not clearcoat the ti frames? Because I want a bare frame so the decals gotta go.
As someone who has gawked at both, the only “miss” with the Ti whipshot (for me personally, maybe not you) was the max tire clearance...from what I can tell, 40mm is max or maybe even 38mm (maybe others can speak up on that?). I think they say 45mm with the lynskey gr270.

I am honestly surprised the Lynskey stuff is so close in price, you can get a Force 1 GR270 for under $3k with the discount they are running now.
Old 08-04-19, 07:03 PM
Danbob

Bikes: 2016 Modded Trek Domane 4.5, 2007 Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
As someone who has gawked at both, the only “miss” with the Ti whipshot (for me personally, maybe not you) was the max tire clearance...from what I can tell, 40mm is max or maybe even 38mm (maybe others can speak up on that?). I think they say 45mm with the lynskey gr270.

I am honestly surprised the Lynskey stuff is so close in price, you can get a Force 1 GR270 for under $3k with the discount they are running now.
My exact sentiments .... this will likely be a lengthy decision process for me as being spoiled by shop employee discounts, I never pay more than cost so I want to really tske my time...maybe even just save way more for a firefly or calletti frame.
Old 08-04-19, 07:49 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
GR270 certainly a great price, but they weight a ton, 4lb to size 56 frame is hard to swallow, might as well go steel at that weight point
Old 10-19-19, 07:50 AM
wheelsmcgee

Just noticed BD has the 853 whipshots back in stock (or perhaps preorder). Two builds:

Force 1x hydro in midnight purple

GRX800 2x hydro in green or burnt orange...for some reason they call this a “mulekick 853” (geesh, who comes up with these names!) but it appears to be the whipshot frameset.

Both $1799. Really tempted by the GRX 2x...I really like that burnt orange, which i have on another BD bike. My only reservation is that tire clearance, would really like something that can do 700x40 plus mud. I did notice that the GRX build now comes with gravelking 38s. Still, at $1799 I’m not sure you’d be too bad off selling the frameset and moving the parts to a different one.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 10-19-19, 09:25 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
Just noticed BD has the 853 whipshots back in stock (or perhaps preorder). Two builds:

Force 1x hydro in midnight purple

GRX800 2x hydro in green or burnt orange...for some reason they call this a “mulekick 853” (geesh, who comes up with these names!) but it appears to be the whipshot frameset.

Both $1799. Really tempted by the GRX 2x...I really like that burnt orange, which i have on another BD bike. My only reservation is that tire clearance, would really like something that can do 700x40 plus mud. I did notice that the GRX build now comes with gravelking 38s. Still, at $1799 I’m not sure you’d be too bad off selling the frameset and moving the parts to a different one.
They even have the Aluminum whipshot in a 1x ST-RX600 build.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...oadbike-xx.htm

they claim the Aluminum version has room for a 700x45. Not that I care on clearance, because I'd probably be running a GK slick 38c, or a Barlow Pass. But at the same time a 700x 42 resolute might be fun for some of the stuff that I have been running my 29er hardtail on.
If the Kinesis made frame is anything like my Dawes sst AL. then I am all for the Aluminum frame version. Especially at $1200 with the only weakness being the WTB wheelset. Actually It could probably replace my SS bike. which is more less my foul weaather winter beater but so limited to 25c. :'(

I've been looking at the aluminum Giant revolt for a winter beater. However I am not so sure I want the trail on the Revolt on slick roads and washing out. and at $1000 I don't want the Giant Conduct brakes. I do want the mid fork lug. The Giant also needs a new crankset because I want a 170 crankarm.

So other than giving up a Midfork lug, and then having to deal with a 15x100 rather than 12x100. the Aluminum Whipshot 1x GRX makes more sense for a winter beater. But I am not fully sold yet. Oh I suppose a non propitiatory seat post is a selling point. but the Giant d-fuse carbon sL is only $158 which is on par with a few other higher end 27.2 seat post options.

Wolftooth even has GRX 1 chainrings now also. 38 - 40 - 42 - 44 - 46 make me wonder if the 46 will clear the chain stay on the whipshot frame.
Old 10-19-19, 06:26 PM
wheelsmcgee

Originally Posted by Metieval
They even have the Aluminum whipshot in a 1x ST-RX600 build.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...oadbike-xx.htm
I didn’t even notice that one...not a bad price for what it is, would probably be a fine beater/commuter build or get with the intention of upgrading. I haven’t seen all of the big brands’ 2020 lineups but I don’t expect to find a lot of 1x GRX hydro on anything near this price.

I also see they have another new GRX 2x in their carbon frame, not a bad deal there at 1599, maybe better tire clearance too, though it also comes with a lower end wheelset like on the Alu whipshot.
Old 02-18-20, 12:08 AM
stepeasy

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pamcinto
I have rubbed my feet on the front wheel a few times now, always in low speed cornering. I have platforms rather than clipless pedals so I think I may have had my feet poorly placed when it happened. (I`m size 11 feet)
I got the 58cm frame size. I`m 6`0`` with a 34inch inseam.

I appear to be about your size at just under 6'-2". I am wondering if this fits more like a CX bike or a Gravel Bike? It is advertised seemingly as both on bikes direct, as is the "Mulekick" and I am just in the market for something with the feel of an endurance frame feel rather than a less comfortable riding CX or race feel. I like those bikes but hard to tell without sitting on them.