Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it Me or is it the sprocket?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-19-18, 08:37 PM
2pedals5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start in the beginning. I had a single speed bike as a gift (SE DRAFT Bike). Later I bought 1977 miyata Americans 10 gears(off from offer up apps for $100). I never enjoyed that stem shifts. It wasnt my type shifting. So I brought the miyata to a LBS and told them I wanted that bike to a single speed. They did everything I asked them to do. When I rode that bike on the way home, I noticed this bike wasn't at the same speed like the se drafts. With this se draft, riding on single feels single speed. But with this 1977, it FEELS like I'm riding on a gear that you put it for going uphill. When I pedal, I'm pedaling faster than my draft bike. But moved kinda behind than the regular speed I did with draft bike. Its not the same as my draft bike. Do I modify the 1977 sprocket to speed up on a single gear it is it something else ? I counted 40 teeth on the 1977. And 42 on the draft bike. If I buy a new set of sprocket, with more teeth, will it make any different? I'm kinda new in this. When it comes to numbers, I'm trying to understand if it a big thing to pay attention to.
Old 08-19-18, 08:46 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you are not liking the gearing, and describing the difference between spinning vs mashing. I'm assuming the cadence is off for you or you prefer the mashing which can be frustrating when you only have one gear.

​​​​​If the gearing of the SE was at a nice cadence for you then you would want to replicate the setup from that. You would want to know the front chainring tooth count, the rear sprocket tooth count and, to a lesser degree, the crank arm length. Match those up and you should be good to go.

It begs the question though, why not just stick with the SE?

*edit* If you want to make it harder to pedal (i.e. require more mashing) then you will either want to increase the tooth count on the front and/or decrease the tooth count in the rear.

If you want to make it easier to pedal (i.e. require more spinning) then you will either want to decrease the tooth count in the front and/or increase the tooth count in the rear

Last edited by zze86; 08-19-18 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-19-18, 08:56 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
Yes, it sounds like you are not liking the gearing, and describing the difference between spinning vs mashing. I'm assuming the cadence is off for you or you prefer the mashing which can be frustrating when you only have one gear.

​​​​​If the gearing of the SE was at a nice cadence for you then you would want to replicate the setup from that. You would want to know the front chainring tooth count, the rear sprocket tooth count and, to a lesser degree, the crank arm length. Match those up and you should be good to go.

It begs the question though, why not just stick with the SE?
to answer your question, to improve my knowledge and working on this 1977 gives me this excitement. You said lesser degree...that is...what?
Old 08-19-18, 09:54 PM
zze86

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2pedals5
You said lesser degree...that is...what?
There are a couple of reasons:

a) Without getting too technical about it, the crankarm's length has less impact on the overall system than the gearing. If you want to get geeky about it, I would suggest reading up on gain ratios first and then play with the [/url]gear calculator via the late great Sheldon Brown's website.

b) chainrings and sprockets are cheaper and easier to change out than a crankset

c) the selection of crank arm lengths are much more limited than chainrings/sprockets although selection for single speeds is much better than multi-speeds.

Also you may want to re-read my other post. I must have edited the post while you were replying.
Old 08-19-18, 10:13 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
There are a couple of reasons:

a) Without getting too technical about it, the crankarm's length has less impact on the overall system than the gearing. If you want to get geeky about it, I would suggest reading up on gain ratios first and then play with the
gear calculator via the late great Sheldon Brown's website.

b) chainrings and sprockets are cheaper and easier to change out than a crankset

c) the selection of crank arm lengths are much more limited than chainrings/sprockets although selection for single speeds is much better than multi-speeds.

Also you may want to re-read my other post. I must have edited the post while you were replying.
Yes I got them. Thank you. Ill work them through when I am not working. Appreciate you giving out in this.
Old 08-19-18, 10:38 PM
zze86

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best of luck in learning more and have fun!
Old 08-20-18, 06:59 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You have a 1977 Miyata.

It's impossible for me to tell what kind of condition it's in. Does everything spin smoothly with no load? I'd want to be sure that everything was working properly before I initiated any more changes.