Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Struggling..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 11:14 AM
2pedals5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Struggling..

Before I got into road bikes, I went through years of drugs and drinking. Unfortunately got me into coma more than once. With a long rehab, I got back on my feet and staying sober. Tomorrow will be my 10th months soberity. On the sad side, I still smoke cigs. When I got into bike, I thought it would help me quit and stay quit. Well it didn't. So when I commute 10 miles or whatever the ride is for....I often beat myself that I couldn't quit. Any suggestion to quit cigs and stay quit? If youre gonna say patches, I have tried that. Its a mental torture. Its not much helping. Hope you can come up with something. Thanks.
Old 08-23-18, 11:32 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Persist. Keep quitting until it sticks, however many times it takes. Also,

for turning your life around!
Old 08-23-18, 11:34 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the Chantex and it worked. The side effect is VERY VIVID DREAMS!!!
Old 08-23-18, 11:47 AM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Persist. Keep quitting until it sticks, however many times it takes. Also,

for turning your life around!
thank you!
Old 08-23-18, 11:47 AM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
I did the Chantex and it worked. The side effect is VERY VIVID DREAMS!!!
my insurance just cut off...thats the problem. Chantix is one Crazy expensive, right?
Old 08-23-18, 12:05 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
keep smoking... we’re here for a good time, not a long time.
Old 08-23-18, 12:09 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 2pedals5
Before I got into road bikes, I went through years of drugs and drinking. Unfortunately got me into coma more than once. With a long rehab, I got back on my feet and staying sober. Tomorrow will be my 10th months soberity.
I just want to congratulate you on the ten months.
Old 08-23-18, 12:16 PM
2pedals5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I just want to congratulate you on the ten months.
thank you!
Old 08-23-18, 12:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Unless you have a serious need to quit, it in my opinion, isn't the worst habit. Some of us should probably be more concerned with overconsuming coffee or the types of foods being had if anything.
Old 08-23-18, 12:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Nicotine Anonymous

Check your local hospitals, county health care clinics and the American Heart Association and American Lung Association for smoking cessation classes.
Old 08-23-18, 12:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Yes, well done to take your life back.

I don't know about any specific stop-smoking program. I never smoked cigarettes much, but when I quit, i just got sick of it and quit. I think @Korina has a good idea, though ... keep quitting.

A little trick i was told but never tried .... hold you cigarette between the tips of your thumb and third finger (ring finger.) it is enough of a pain that you notice smoking more, and get less habitual satisfaction.

The nicotine addiction, you might just have to taper off until you quit cold turkey. But for me what made the difference was when i was just annoyed to be carrying a lit cigarette around.

Keep riding, too, of course. You will appreciate your lungs more. Also, it will help clean out the nicotine.

Keep quitting. You can do it. You quit the tough stuff already.
Old 08-23-18, 12:38 PM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2pedals5
my insurance just cut off...thats the problem. Chantix is one Crazy expensive, right?
Yes and my insurance didn't cover it either. But you buy the full kit ONE TIME! But DO NOT smoke while you are taking it or you might as well burn the money.

Trust me the dreams will make up how much you paid...trust me on this!
Old 08-23-18, 12:40 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I smoked for about 45 years. I tried everything to quit once I decided to, patches, gum, lozenges, Chantix, and Zyban but nothing worked for me. I quit over and over but I always went back. Three years ago I found "why quit" dot.com by Joel Spitzer. He had never smoked so I thought what does this guy know? I read his book and quit the next day. I haven't smoked since March 21st 2015. I have COPD now so I can't ride with any strong riders any more. I wasn't into bikes when I was able to drop about anybody anywhere but I rode. Now I'm a bike freak and I can only make fairly short rides at a moderate to slow pace. My advice: QUIT NOW!

Edit: It is an addiction that can be broken. Two or three days of slight physical and mental distress and then it is all downhill.

Last edited by deephate; 08-23-18 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 12:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
If smoking fulfills a social need, then find other ways to fulfill that social need, for example heading off to get a coffee or smoothie with friends.

You might join a non-smoking group of cycling friends (also hopefully cognizant of your previous drinking issues).

I've heard of people smoking half cigarettes, with the second half leaving a bad taste in their mouth.

When you finally make the commitment to quit, go all in. If you smoked in the house or car, invest the money to get them professionally cleaned, or carpets replaced. Get rid of some paraphernalia.

Make it so you won't wish to take that step backwards.
Old 08-23-18, 12:47 PM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Unless you have a serious need to quit, it in my opinion, isn't the worst habit. Some of us should probably be more concerned with overconsuming coffee or the types of foods being had if anything.
Wait... what?!?
Old 08-23-18, 12:54 PM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Yeah okay! :::Rolling Eyes::::
Old 08-23-18, 01:01 PM
honcho

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Your info doesn't say what state you're in, but there are states that have smoking cessation programs funded with money from lawsuits against the tobacco companies. Unfortunately, many states have just dumped the money into their general funds and use it for things other than helping smokers.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-18, 01:03 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gradually cut down by avoiding locations/situations you associate with smoking (if you don't smoke in your home or car, that's a huge head start - if you do, start there). You'll have to exercise some willpower to NOT give in to temptation, but you've already demonstrated you've got that. You'll slowly disassociate smoking from being part of your regular life.

I used to be a pack-a-day, in-all-situations smoker. Today, I smoke only once a year, when on vacation. I will smoke 2 or 3 packs during a 1 to 2 week vacation. In other words, I am NOT a non-smoker, but have cut my smoking down from 365 packs/year to 3 packs/year.
Old 08-23-18, 01:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Congratulations on the 10 months. Keep coming back.

You can use the Steps on nicotine too.
Old 08-23-18, 01:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Here is another option ... I ride occasionally with a guy who vapes. If we go for long rides, he likes to stop for a vape ... I think he rides so hard he burns it all up in a hurry.

This guy is a senior bu he does sprint triathlons and he is a strong rider ... he just happens to have quit cigarettes for vaping.

I am not a fan, particularly,.... because my addiction is to coffee, not nicotine. But vaping is so amazingly less harmful than cigarettes .... if you don't Want to quit, and all the methods here fail because of that ... then it is an option ... beats inhaling blazing-hot carcinogenic particulates.
Old 08-23-18, 01:11 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Make biking your habit of choice. Really. Do it as many times a week as you can. Just pedal. Got the urge to smoke? Go pedal.
Old 08-23-18, 01:12 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Wait... what?!?
If smoking is what it takes to get through the day without drinking or drugging, then ... yes, it is not the worst habit - better than driving drunk or high, or losing your job due to being drunk/high at work, or missing your child's HS graduation because you're too drunk/high, or ......

(Words from one who's partner is a recovering addict.)

-----------
Old 08-23-18, 01:13 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I quit 30 years ago cold turkey, no aids. Fell back into it several times, kicked myself and tried again. It sucks badly for a few days and weeks. I slept a lot and felt like I had little reason to live. But you get over that and then are proud of yourself. I think tapering off or ingesting nicotine prolongs breaking the addiction. Rip off the patch and embrace the pain!
Old 08-23-18, 01:18 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Congrats on sobriety!!!

Echoing others on smoking cigs, don't beat yourself up. I smoked some but never really liked it, so I lucked out.

Yes to vaping. Biggest harm in cigarettes is all that other "filler" besides nicotine, like the burning plant matter. Also, the tobacco plant has a nasty tendency to absorb heavy metals, and this is amplified when cured.

Turn smoking from a habit into a treat, and don't push yourself too hard.
Old 08-23-18, 01:22 PM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
If smoking is what it takes to get through the day without drinking or drugging, then ... yes, it is not the worst habit - better than driving drunk or high, or losing your job due to being drunk/high at work, or missing your child's HS graduation because you're too drunk/high, or ......

(Words from one who's partner is a recovering addict.)

-----------
I agree with you. But the guy I replied to compared it with drinking too much coffee and eating certain foods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.