Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Struggling..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 10:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Cl904
keep smoking... we’re here for a good time, not a long time.
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die? That's your advice?

Seriously, smoking is an addiction, so you've got to find something else (hopefully less detrimental to your health), to occupy your interest. You definitely sound like you need to make a transition though. Ever try the patches or gum? In either case, the goal should be to quit completely.
Old 08-24-18, 03:55 AM
sally552

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR2 DA9000, ICAN SN04

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A craving to smoke only lasts three to five minutes, whether you smoke or not. Call a friend, get a drink of water, do some deep breathing or play a game on your phone. Find something to distract your mind so you can make it through those few minutes.
Old 08-24-18, 04:52 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 2pedals5
Before I got into road bikes, I went through years of drugs and drinking. Unfortunately got me into coma more than once. With a long rehab, I got back on my feet and staying sober. Tomorrow will be my 10th months soberity. On the sad side, I still smoke cigs. When I got into bike, I thought it would help me quit and stay quit. Well it didn't. So when I commute 10 miles or whatever the ride is for....I often beat myself that I couldn't quit. Any suggestion to quit cigs and stay quit? If youre gonna say patches, I have tried that. Its a mental torture. Its not much helping. Hope you can come up with something. Thanks.
Congrats on 10 months sober. Been there, did my fair share of drugs years back. Don’t beat yourself up about the cigs, everyone who has addictive personalities will always have an obsession or two, as long as they don’t overrun everything. I know, I know, justification. But just let it ride out, the day will come. Been cig free for 25 years now. For me it just finally happened, after trying many times. One day at a time dude.
Old 08-24-18, 06:46 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
While I've been fortunate to not personally have struggled with addiction, I've had several very close family members who have and have seen how difficult it is to break free. While I don't want to give advice on something I haven't had personal, direct experience with, I really wanted to congratulate you on the 10 months of sobriety - it's a very big deal and something you should be proud of. Please don't beat yourself up while you're working through the cigarette use. Sometimes we can be so hard on ourselves that we get discouraged and discouragement rarely helps us take positive steps forward. Celebrate each day of sobriety from the other substances and start each day new on working toward breaking free from the cigarettes - don't allow yourself to be discouraged or nurture thoughts that aren't helpful to your forward progress. Wishing you the best!
Old 08-24-18, 06:50 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sally552
A craving to smoke only lasts three to five minutes, whether you smoke or not. Call a friend, get a drink of water, do some deep breathing or play a game on your phone. Find something to distract your mind so you can make it through those few minutes.
I have serious doubts you were a smoker. There is a reason quitting smoking is so hard and we use things like Chantex to help us.
Old 08-24-18, 07:45 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Unless you have a serious need to quit, it in my opinion, isn't the worst habit. Some of us should probably be more concerned with overconsuming coffee or the types of foods being had if anything.
No.

Old 08-24-18, 07:59 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I agree with you. But the guy I replied to compared it with drinking too much coffee and eating certain foods.
Thanks for explaining, I apologize for my lack of understanding of your post.
Old 08-24-18, 08:23 AM
congaree

Bikes: Trek FX S 4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drlogik
You might want to Google "nicotine heart health" to find a different side.
I did...and there are articles both pro and con to nicotine. (ex: https://health.howstuffworks.com/wel...h-benefits.htm)
My point is, it's very close to caffeine in it's health impacts and is not a carcinogen. From a smoking standpoint, nicotine effects are the smallest risk factor.
Old 08-24-18, 08:28 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by congaree
I did...and there are articles both pro and con to nicotine. (ex: https://health.howstuffworks.com/wel...h-benefits.htm)
My point is, it's very close to caffeine in it's health impacts and is not a carcinogen. From a smoking standpoint, nicotine effects are the smallest risk factor.
BS!!! I can't even comprehend someone honestly believing that smoking risk factor is less than those drinking coffee.

I have to stop posting on this thread otherwise my bluntness will start coming out.
Old 08-24-18, 08:32 AM
congaree

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
BS!!! I can't even comprehend someone honestly believing that smoking risk factor is less than those drinking coffee.

I have to stop posting on this thread otherwise my bluntness will start coming out.
I was specifically not referring to smoking...I was referring to nicotine obtained from vaping.
Old 08-24-18, 08:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Hello people ... if someone wants a fight, he will find one---if he cannot, he will start one.

People who want to have a conversation will Ask when there is confusion. People who want to fight will Attack when there is confusion ... even if it their own.

Smoking is amazingly damaging to the body. I Hope no one thinks otherwise.

Not saying people shouldn't smoke--it is personal choice. Cancer, emphysema, general lung damage, vasoconstriction ... are Not choices. They just happen when you smoke.

Coffee and nicotine are both addictive substances. Both can have negative health effects. But ... neither is a hundredth as deadly as smoking cigarettes.

If someone stops smoking cigarettes by switching to vaping, they immediately stop doing massive damage to every bit of tissue from the lips to the alveoli. They immediately lower their cancer risk. They immediately get away from a very expensive, very destructive habit ... and if they swap it for a much less damaging ans slightly less expensive addiction ... it seems like a good swap to me. Don't care who disagrees.

I was lucky enough to be able to quit cigarettes. Some cannot ... and not through lack of trying.

The guy I ride with who vapes can drop me on the flat, and forget on a hill. We climbed a very rare 6.8 percent slope---one of the steepest within miles of where we live---and I was barely able to make it. The whole time, he cruised along side of me casually offering me encouragement ... not even breathing hard. Not many hard-core multi-pack-a-day smokers could do that. i bet he couldn't have done that, back in his smoking days.
Old 08-24-18, 09:12 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was specifically not referring to smoking...I was referring to nicotine obtained from vaping.
The effects on vaping have yet to come out. Now it's not that harmful but lets see in a few years. Vaping as long as it's been around is still new in the grand scheme of things. BTW it is very addictive. When I tried to quit I tried using vaping. Every 2 weeks I would degrees the nicotine count till I was at 0. When I was smoking 0 I felt like i was going cold turkey. So that alone shows it's effects on a person.
Old 08-24-18, 09:18 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
...Coffee and nicotine are both addictive substances...
I don't agree "coffee" is an addictive substance. I do agree if a person tries to quite caffeine (which you can get in many ways) they will suffer withdrawal but not experience cravings; the withdrawal is really bad headaches.

When someone believes they are addicted to coffee to me it's more they are addicted to the way it makes them feel. With smoking yeah it is great after a big meal, after sex, while driving, but when I stop smoking I feel it in my face and the cravings are like a vampire trying to quit drinking blood. But with coffee, whatever it does for you it can be accessed elsewhere.

I quit coffee with no cravings, but no interest in suffering headaches so I drink hot and cold tea.

I do miss smoking though, but I can't bike and workout like I do if I continue to smoke.
Old 08-24-18, 09:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Anyone who cannot admit to the enormous difference in danger between smoking and vaping is just unwilling to be honest.
Old 08-24-18, 09:21 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by andcarrotrope
I know. Nicotine is addictive. But dip or snus is like 98% less harmful than smoking.
Not really, it just shifts the risk of cancer from your throat & lungs to your mouth.
Old 08-24-18, 09:24 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone who cannot admit to the enormous difference in danger between smoking and vaping is just unwilling to be honest.
Give it time, I believe vaping is dangerous just hasn't come to light yet.

Go back to the origins of smoking which is when my grandmother was alive. She was prescribed/suggested to smoke to help with nerves. Now doctors are telling you to quit.
Old 08-24-18, 09:27 AM
Maelochs

Exactly. You are citing imagination and claiming it is fact. That's called "lying."

Go back to the origins of smoking which is when my grandmother was alive. She was prescribed/suggested to smoke to help with nerves. Now doctors are telling you to quit.
Cigarettes were called "coffin nails" back in the 1920s. Peopel knew smoking caused coughing and lung damage ... after people had been smoking in Europe for 300 years by then. People didn't know all the damage cigarettes did ... but no one thought they were healthy.

There is a reason doctors were paid to give pro-smoking testimonials for advertisers .... and it isn't because people thought smoking was offering health benefits.
Old 08-24-18, 09:28 AM
congaree

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The effects on vaping have yet to come out. Now it's not that harmful but lets see in a few years. Vaping as long as it's been around is still new in the grand scheme of things. BTW it is very addictive. When I tried to quit I tried using vaping. Every 2 weeks I would degrees the nicotine count till I was at 0. When I was smoking 0 I felt like i was going cold turkey. So that alone shows it's effects on a person.
I can't disagree with what you are saying, especially since you've had personal experience with vaping. It's kept me 100% off cigarettes for nearly 6 years now when nothing else worked for me, so I'm passionate about asking others not rule it out if nothing else has worked for them. But, it certainly doesn't work for everybody, as you can attest. The way I view the risk of the unknown harmful aspects of vaping is that I'll gladly accept the risk of any future potential harm being identified against the 100% guaranteed harm caused by smoking. And for somebody who has never smoked or completely free of nicotine, I certainly do not recommend they start vaping.
Old 08-24-18, 09:28 AM
Milton Keynes

if you still like nicotine (which isn't the part of smoking that destroys your health).
Anything which increases your heart rate while also narrowing your blood vessels can't be good for you.
Old 08-24-18, 09:31 AM
congaree

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep...agree with you 100%.
Old 08-24-18, 09:32 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Anything which increases your heart rate while also narrowing your blood vessels can't be good for you.
Right ... and exercising too much can hurt you too ... but CONTEXT, people .... we are talking about people who smoke cigarettes switching to vaping. if you think there is no benefit .... well, have a great life, and keep away from me.

As @congaree notes, better not to do either , perhaps ... and maybe better not to eat meat (certainly not grilled meat, which is carcinogenic) and no coffee .... but anyone saying "if you are going to vape, you might as well smoke cigarettes .... " well, that pretty much says all that needs to be said.

And whether they have thought it through or not .... that is what the nay-vapers are saying.
Old 08-24-18, 09:33 AM
Maelochs

By the way ... before this slap-fight gets even sillier ... anyone have anything to say which addresses the OP's situation?
Old 08-24-18, 09:34 AM
Milton Keynes

Wasn't there a news article a while back which suggested that vaping may cause "popcorn lung?"
Old 08-24-18, 09:34 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly. You are citing imagination and claiming it is fact. That's called "lying."

Cigarettes were called "coffin nails" back in the 1920s. Peopel knew smoking caused coughing and lung damage ... after people had been smoking in Europe for 300 years by then. People didn't know all the damage cigarettes did ... but no one thought they were healthy.

There is a reason doctors were paid to give pro-smoking testimonials for advertisers .... and it isn't because people thought smoking was offering health benefits.
Well what I said is how my grandma explained it.
Old 08-24-18, 09:35 AM
congaree

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I didn't say it was good for you, like vitamins or anything (though research has identified some potential benefits), but there is much, much worse to worry about when smoking. And it's clearly been overly stigmatized compared to any actual long term harmful effects it produces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.