Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you sometimes feel like you hate your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 08:51 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
In my mountain biking days I can remember pushing my bike up some single track hill and thinking "This would be a pleasant hike if I wasn't pushing this **** bike."
But I guess that feeling faded away, once you went flying down the back side of the hill?
Old 11-12-18, 08:54 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I wouldn't blame (or hate) my bikes for a bad ride. They're just inanimate objects that is my responsibility to maintain. However, there are some days were I'm just not "feeling it" when I get started on a ride. 99% of the time, after cycling for a bit, I'm enjoying it. Some of those rides have turned out the best. I do get bored by doing some of the same routes over and over. I try to vary things, but there is only so much I can do that is still safe and efficient.
Old 11-12-18, 09:53 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
No.
Old 11-12-18, 10:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
Ok, maybe "hate" is not the right word, but there's been times when I've been out on a long ride, and I ask myself, "Why am I out here doing this?" Your muscles hurt, you are hot or cold. There's other things you need to be doing.

Ever what to throw your bike into the ditch?

But I think cycling may be my medicine. It calms much of what bothers me. But like a drug, it's effect is short lived, and I need more in a day or two. Once a long ride is over, I feel refreshed all over. Much of my body aches and pains seem to subside. My mind feels fresher, more clear, more positive, more excited about what I've just accomplished.

But I don't intend to imply that the cycling experience is drudgery…But often time, the hardest part of the ride is just getting motivated, to get from the couch to the bike.

Once there, all is well.Most of the time, I do enjoy my bike rides. But the biggest joy comes from the over all feeling I have, once the ride is over. … But what wonderful memories I have of those efforts!

Anyone else relate?
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Your post reads like a paradox full of contradictions. It also recognizable since I've been there many times. My conclusion is its not about the bike but the journey.

Sometimes its a pleasant one, sometimes it isn't.To make sure my cycling is always a pleasant experience I make sure (as best I can) the benefits outweigh the negatives.

For instance, I know I don't tolerate cooler temperature so if the temp. is going to drop below my tolerance I won't go out. There's also roads, days and time of day that I try to avoid. To put it simply you may just be bored and need a change of environment, or may just need to take a break.
Originally Posted by Oakman
I see your point, but look at it differently. If having a bad ride I blame it on weather, traffic, roads, route planning, personal conditioning, etc.

If the bike is not riding right, I blame myself for neglecting to maintain it.
Hate” is indeed an attention–grabber in the title, but maybe “disaffection” is a better word. Two clichés come to mind: “A bad workman blames his tools,” and “No pain, no gain.”

I presume that a cyclist's bike is mostly freely chosen, perhaps with restraints, like cost, but is a tool of choice. Personally, I have frequently defended my choice of a high end bike as:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… The [steel] Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle,so that puts it in perspective for me,.… ….
…“At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I might be missing.”
To get me out on the road, particularly since I cycle-commute as one alternative to get to work, I’m mindful of these two taglines:
Originally Posted by SammyJ
I have NEVER regretted going on a ride;I have often regretted not going when I could have!
Originally Posted by chasm54
There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.
Another disaffection, as noted above may just be boredom, and my remedy is: :
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that "just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.
BTW, @5kdad, I read your pictorial ride report of Ragbrai; it was very illustrative and nicely captures the crowded field (one reason I have not been inclined to ride
)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-13-18 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 10:48 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I don’t think hate. But I find myself always thinking there is a better bike out there, and new tech and this featherweight bike is going to make every ride the “perfect” ride. So my road bike is lighter than my commuter. I have been on the carbon with better technology. And honestly, other than a couple more gears, better tires or 5 lbs less weight, I can’t add more than 1-2 mph depending on the configuration. Most of it is aesthetics and highly dependent on the engine.
Old 11-12-18, 10:58 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
I've never hated my bike. But I have sworn at the relentless headwinds on some rides. And there have been some rides where I hated my saddle. I still haven't found saddle/bike short nirvana yet in spite of multiple iterations of both, but things have improved with the last few combinations I've tried.
Old 11-12-18, 11:18 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I have never hated my bikes, But I am very aware my most fun bike, the completely custom ti fix gear named Jessica J from inception, can be a harsh mistress. ("Mistress" as in feminine of "master", not as an illicit partner.) She is a stiff, quick steering road racing bike (in a world where gears and freewheels were never invented; in that world, she would have been one of the best racing bikes ever made in 1988). If I am smooth, she rides like silk, If I am not, she can be a bucking bronco. And on long, hard days, there is no master (mistress) like a fix gear,

Ben
Old 11-12-18, 11:33 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Now you have me wondering. I've never had a bike with disc brakes. Planning to buy a tour bike next spring and planned to get them. What was your problem with disc brakes?
I had Shimano non line Ultegra level brifters with BR 785 calipers that we’re just rebadged XT mountain calipers on a 2015 road bike with QR’s. They squeaked no more or less than any caliper rim brakes, mechanical disc, or cantilevers I’ve used before. The industry decided it wasn’t good enough so my setup was superceded by thru axles and direct mount calipers. They worked great and felt good but I hated them because at the end of the day they were different but no better than rim brakes. They cost more to buy, parts are more expensive and cost more to maintain. I’ll stick with cantilever brakes and rim brakes and the requisite skill of brake lever control. Mind you the discs were on my rain/winter bike.
Old 11-12-18, 12:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
I don’t think hate. But I find myself always thinking there is a better bike out there, and new tech and this featherweight bike is going to make every ride the “perfect” ride. So my road bike is lighter than my commuter.

I have been on the carbon with better technology. And honestly, other than a couple more gears, better tires or 5 lbs less weight, I can’t add more than 1-2 mph depending on the configuration. Most of it is aesthetics and highly dependent on the engine.
FYA, I previously posted to this Road Cycling Forum thread,"What to expect with a higher end road bike?”:
Originally Posted by kbarch
Hmm.... 'Significant' how? There's the question of magnitude, and the question of whether the difference would be something you care about. As far as what you care about goes, only you would know, but you did mention speed, performance, etc., so presumably you're not concerned about prestige, which of course you can expect to have more of from a higher-end bike.

As far as magnitude goes, quantitative improvements would not be immediately evident; it's not like all of a sudden you'll be dropping folks you couldn't keep up with before. But if you've ridden enough to survive a few crits, I'm sure you've developed the sensitivity to notice increasingly fine differences in ride quality and responsiveness, andsuch improvements might be felt immediately…

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing about higher-end bikes that makes them more comfortable as a rule,
but one could get a made-to-measure frame to help ensure a good fit, and some frames are made to be more comfortable on extended rides.
I can’t claim to discuss technical specifics, and bought my high end road bike (Specialized S-Works) on the advice of my mechanic, but here’s my testimonial about going from a fine steel to a high end carbon fiber:
I made the switch from steel to carbon, and I started out wondering the same, if the quality of carbon fiber would justify the premium cost. I have previously posted on several threads:
Originally Posted by Rowan
…** Performance in this context does not mean out right speed because that is down to the person riding it and their strength and endurance.

But rather is in the quality of the shifting, braking, ride, handling through corners and over rough surfaces, aerodynamics and (dare I say it) comfort
I own a CF and have joined several such discussions.

IMO, Rowan's comment about various dimensions of performance being important in various ways to the valuation of the cyclist justifies the cost to the purchaser, and unlike speed is not necessarily quantifiable. I have posted my justifications as
My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end

At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I might be missing.”
I had tested a few different (cheaper) CF bikes for short rides, and they all seemed “nice.” I think it took me a while to really appreciate the quality of my current bike, which as noted I bought virtually on a recommendation. After four years I'm happy with my choice.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-12-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 12:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
But I guess that feeling faded away, once you went flying down the back side of the hill?
Yup! Never got angry enough to stop me from posting on BF.
Old 11-12-18, 09:02 PM
ManyBikess

Bikes: 22 Specilaized Roll 3, 18 Sirrus Carbon, 07 Colnago CLX, 03 KHS 304, 79 Schwinn Super LeTour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No
Old 11-13-18, 05:44 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I did a sprint triathlon this summer and I hated every minute of it. I felt too jump from the get go, and even though the bike ride was so short it was hillier than expected. I sprained my ankle a couple of days before. I HATED it. I wanted to quit, and it was only a sprint!

I look miserable in ever picture until when I finally crossed the finish line 3rd from last, I immediately wanted to do it again. I’m training for a longer one next year. I have no idea why the brain works like that, I’m sure I’ll feel the same next year. But the sense of accomplishment is overwhelmingly worth it.
Old 11-15-18, 02:00 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Have you ever been on a recumbent in hilly areas? I have on my Baron LowRacer. And, I hate it. Downhill is a rush like no other. Uphill? It's like hell. The steeper, the worse the pain is.

My other honorable mention is my 1987 Peugeot PGN10. I bought that bike at age 17 with money saved up from working at Arbys. But I didn't care about the size of the bike, and I should have. I wanted that bike, right there, on the showroom floor. I spent the next 30 years getting it to fit right, and never could. Stems, bars, saddle positions. Everything felt too big.
And when I would come back off leave from the USMC, every time I rode that bike, it always seemed like I had a flat tire. Enough so that I slammed to bike down on the pavement and bent the rim. After EAS'ing from the USMC, I took up biking again, got a new wheel, and rode it till about 5 years ago.
Just this year, I gave it to my daughter's friend who fit it much better than I did. I almost had tears in my eyes when I handed it over to him. I hated...and loved that bike.
Old 11-15-18, 02:18 PM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I wouldn't blame (or hate) my bikes for a bad ride. They're just inanimate objects that is my responsibility to maintain. However, there are some days were I'm just not "feeling it" when I get started on a ride. 99% of the time, after cycling for a bit, I'm enjoying it. Some of those rides have turned out the best. I do get bored by doing some of the same routes over and over. I try to vary things, but there is only so much I can do that is still safe and efficient.
This is basically me. Most of the time it sucks forcing myself to ride to work in the morning, especially if it's cold out. I'm not a morning person. Once I have been riding for 5 minutes it's all good (unless there's a terrible headwind.) Sometimes I have to make it a point to go on rides to do fun things so I don't associate riding my bike with going to work.
Old 11-16-18, 06:07 PM
Witterings

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Love my bike but do get bored of doing the same routes and our short mid week 20 miler .... the last 5 miles is virtually always directly into a 15 / 20 mph headwind on a wet ish gravel section which slows you down and if it's cold as well puts a bit of a downer on the whole thing .... knowing the pub's at the end of it is probably what gives you the will to keep going

Last edited by Witterings; 11-16-18 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 07:38 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
My bikes are like my children--I love all of them, and the one I favour varies from moment to moment, day to day.

I'll tell you what I hate, though. It's winter! It's the cold, the snow, ice, frozen brake lines, numb toes and fingers. That's what I hate!
Old 11-16-18, 08:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Witterings
Love my bike but do get bored of doing the same routes and our short mid week 20 miler .... the last 5 miles is virtually always directly into a 15 / 20 mph headwind on a wet ish gravel section which slows you down and if it's cold as well puts a bit of a downer on the whole thing ....

knowing the pub's at the end of it is probably what gives you the will to keep going
FYA, earlier on this thread, I posted:
Hate” is indeed an attention–grabber in the title, but maybe “disaffection” is a better word. Two clichés come to mind: “A bad workman blames his tools,” and “No pain, no gain.”…

Another disaffection, as noted above may just be boredom, and my remedy is:
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that "just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.
Old 11-17-18, 01:19 AM
Davednconfused

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope. When I'm towards the end of a century on my S5, undercarriage numb from the harsh ride, cold, and sore - I'd still rather be on my bike.
Old 11-21-18, 01:08 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I used to have a mix of enjoyment and hate every ride. I thought I "had" to use clipless but it caused my feet to hurt and go numb partway into every ride along with some knee pain. Tried multiple fittings, shoes, insoles, etc, couldn't fix it. I switched to flats with good shoes and pedals (five ten freerider shoes and dmr vault pedals) and all that went away and my enjoyment of riding went way to heck up. Some people never have this issue with clipless but I did.

But...I later hurt my leg working out (not biking) and have gone through physical therapy and I can tell you exactly why it sometimes gets painful to ride - because certain muscles that are supposed to be working aren't able to do their job. My glutes do not like to function. My hamstrings are rather gummed up. On better days it's ok but on bad days my body is complaining to me that things aren't right.

Ironically like the OP I feel pretty good after the ride. My body likes the medium-pace cardio, but complains when muscles aren't compensating for other muscles that aren't doing their job.
Old 11-21-18, 01:21 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji

I had the same feelings in a 4-5 hour round of golf where I start getting bored with how much of the day I'm devoting to this activity. I've found my sweet spot on bike riding is between 25 to 40 miles.
Agreed! 9 holes isn't quite enough and 18 is just too many. I think that there is a real market in this world for 12 hole golf courses.
Old 11-21-18, 01:29 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
[QUOTE=5kdad;20657486]
Ever what to throw your bike into the ditch?

In hindsight maybe - my 1999 Cannondale CAAD-framed road bike - rode like a truck on a rough road with no suspension. A 30 mile ride would feel like punishment.

I didn't fully perceive this at the time, but once I bought and rode a CF Specialized Roubaix the problem caused by the stiff aluminum frame and 23mm tires on th Cannondale was apparent.

Strangely enough, now that I am riding 'vintage' steel bikes with biggish tires (32 - 38mm) I find the Roubaix to be less-than-comfortable. What will come next?!
Old 11-22-18, 12:18 AM
SteelThisBike

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Intenso, Lemond Zurich, Stowe, Trek 930

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I sometimes wish I could transform my bike mid-ride into my motorcycle -- because I certainly can't produce 150 horsepower. But that doesn't make me hate the bike.
Old 11-26-18, 11:35 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Can't say I've ever hated my bike. I have hated my decision on taking my mtn.bike (heavy) out for a hilly road ride (thinking I'd like the workout), then realizing there were lots of hills which I would have handled much better on the road bike! Usually, if I'm not enjoying the ride, it's because of me, not the bike.
Old 11-26-18, 08:22 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I only hate my bicycle(s) when I develop a problem mid ride that can't be resolved until I get home. Once such instance was a pedal bolt coming loose causing a clicking sound with every full rotation.
Old 11-26-18, 09:18 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
The bike(s) can be annoying when they have mechanical issues, but I'm almost always successful at repairing them eventually.

As for some of the people that I have to share the roads with, definitely some hate there.

Some of the roads suck too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.