Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Short chainstays for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Short chainstays for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 03:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
That Jamis might wake up and be a little more fun with a more speed oriented wheel-set, and tires as you mentioned. Maybe not fully to your satisfaction. You’d have to try it out. Lighter, stiffer wheels do feel different than heavy ones, though. You just can’t go so light that you sacrifice too much strength.[/left]
Well, until I get the Argos sorted out, the Jamis it is.

I put some Ultegra wheels + 23/25mm tires on it. Whew, night and day difference in feel!!! I still have to sort out some chain skipping. I only have about 10,000 miles on the cassette, I can't imagine.

But, the Jamis should be good for the next big ride.
Originally Posted by fietsbob
BoB trailers work even with carbon fiber race bikes .. and Extra wheel trailers can take your rear panniers

and a 2nd front wheel like on your bike ... maybe hub dynamo in it for charging your phone..
I have a little BOB that I picked up a while ago, but I haven't used it much. It is small for regular "cargo", and I'd prefer not to take it on long distance rides that I could otherwise carry on the bike.

My Colnago C-40 has aluminum dropouts, and I've started using a skewer based trailer with it. I've had a few long rides pulling a trailer, but don't really want to do that for touring.

Still, I have another 150 miles or so pulling a trailer planned for this spring. Although, I suppose I just need to move a bicycle that 150 miles.... But, unfortunately, things like logistics make trains difficult.

Last edited by CliffordK; 01-14-19 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 04:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
June sees a new batch of transamerica tour racers head out from west coast to east, bike packing gear seems favored..

Challenge is leaving more stuff home..