Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Hungary and France

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 12:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts

My Lovely Wife™ and I are traveling to Hungary and France. Should I look for anything bike-related there?

Our hosts in Hungary will have bikes to loan us. I'm picturing myself lost on a rural road, far from their home, not being able to communicate anything to strangers. And that is what you call an adventure!

I've been to France, and I speak skeletal French. Hungarian is impossible to learn, and I haven't even tried. I watched a video on how to count, and oh, forget it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-03-19, 12:54 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
My impression is that these are fairly large countries (i.e., asking, "I'm going to the United States. Anything bike related I should do there?"). You might want to specify what cities/regions you'll be in.
Old 06-03-19, 01:07 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Hungary is on my short list. Enjoy the trip! Where will you be staying while there? I have a good friend who went to Central European University (the source of much current controversy in the free world) and my wife has spent some time in Budapest and loved it there. It's rather important to consider that right now Hungary is experiencing quite a bit of forceful and hostile political upheaval. Personally, as someone who's been a lonely tourist in some nearby Balkan states, getting lost in the countryside is not always going to guarantee sympathy or even comfort among the locals. I would recommend knowing exactly where you're going to and from before wandering and letting others know your plans.

-Gregory
Old 06-03-19, 01:27 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I suggest consuming food while there. Also consider drinking liquids!
Old 06-03-19, 01:40 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Go to Cycles Alex Singer, it's right off the metro in Levallois, a northern suburb of Paris. A bit of a long ride, but a very cheap metro ticket will get you there for the same price as going one subway stop. Buy a water bottle and chat them up with your skeletal French! They're friendly.
Old 06-03-19, 02:27 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Hungary is on my short list. Enjoy the trip! Where will you be staying while there? I have a good friend who went to Central European University (the source of much current controversy in the free world) and my wife has spent some time in Budapest and loved it there. It's rather important to consider that right now Hungary is experiencing quite a bit of forceful and hostile political upheaval. Personally, as someone who's been a lonely tourist in some nearby Balkan states, getting lost in the countryside is not always going to guarantee sympathy or even comfort among the locals. I would recommend knowing exactly where you're going to and from before wandering and letting others know your plans.

-Gregory
No danger whatsoever in Hungary! Great people.
Old 06-03-19, 02:30 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts
And yes, France is quite large! But it's great to bike there. Lots of B&Bs. And campsites. And farm-hotels/rooms.
Old 06-03-19, 02:56 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
I suggest consuming food while there. Also consider drinking liquids!

Seriously.

Old 06-03-19, 03:36 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by LucasHartong
No danger whatsoever in Hungary! Great people.
I'd heard the same thing about Croatia and Greece, but out in the countryside as I traveled alone in those places I had several encounters where villagers made me feel unwelcome and were not helpful when I was seeking directions or advice. I'm not thinking about danger, but simply the possibility of becoming lost or finding one's self in inhospitable circumstances.

-Gregory
Old 06-03-19, 06:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Hungarian is impossible to learn, and I haven't even tried. I watched a video on how to count, and oh, forget it.
Don't feel bad, Hungarians have problems when they come to English-speaking countries as well:

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I've been to Hungary, but that was in 1977 and I suspect much has changed since then.
Old 06-03-19, 10:55 PM
onre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Be sure to eat some lángos in Hungary.

Regarding Balkan inhospitability, my personal experience has been exactly the opposite. Basically everyone I've met at random has been friendly and helpful.
Old 06-04-19, 11:55 AM
vp1337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
Hey, Hungarian lad here. Make sure to lock your bikes _always_. Be very careful on roads, cycling culture is still in baby shoes here compared to more western regions of Europe. Drivers often pass close, and not all of them are jerks, most are simply unfamiliar with this stuff. Oh, and our roads and bike lanes generally suck, potholes everywhere etc.
People are generally friendly, but English is not this nation's strong suit by a long shot - smartphones, Google Translate can help a ton.
We have fine wines, pálinka (distilled fruit spirits), and ridiculously good craft beers if you're into that, but the latter can only be found in Budapest (mostly). As for cuisine, previously mentioned lángos is good stuff (greasy as hell, just like most stuff here), but don't pay more than 5-600 HUF for it, since it costs like 50 HUF to make...
Old 06-04-19, 12:33 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
My experience in Paris was the French were very friendly especially if I at least tried to begin things in my very rudimentary French. I think that they A) appreciated the effort and B) didn't want me to continue to butcher their beautiful language. All those rumors of rude, snooty Parisiennes were just that rumor, very nice and helpful and even if I didn't have much command of French I could always say Merci! I know at one point they had a very robust bike share program in Paris -Velib but they decided to change vendors in 2018 and I understand that caused issues not sure what the current state of their bike share program is. There are about 370 km of bike paths in the city so if you can find a bike that bodes well.

Baguettes, Croissants, Vin Rouge especially St Emilion region. I had the best lunch of my life in a little brasserie near Notre Dame. Have fun Tom -Bon Voyage.
Old 06-04-19, 12:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I have heard there are flea markets where you can find bike stuff in France. Not sure if I will be there long enough to go to one, but it sounds interesting
Old 06-04-19, 12:53 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by onre
Be sure to eat some lángos in Hungary.

Regarding Balkan inhospitability, my personal experience has been exactly the opposite. Basically everyone I've met at random has been friendly and helpful.
I'd say the same thing - basically everyone. I spent a total of about 100 days touring Croatia and Greece on my own, and almost everyone was helpful. But there is no country full of perfect people in this world, and communication and cultural boundaries can serve to provoke irrational behavior.

The few people I met who weren't helpful or friendly were not the norm, but they were there, as they almost certainly are in every place on the planet.

My initial post was made to warn against any assumptions that "everyone is nice," because that's never true.

-Gregory
Old 06-04-19, 05:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by vp1337
We have fine wines, pálinka (distilled fruit spirits), and ridiculously good craft beers if you're into that, but the latter can only be found in Budapest (mostly). As for cuisine, previously mentioned lángos is good stuff (greasy as hell, just like most stuff here), but don't pay more than 5-600 HUF for it, since it costs like 50 HUF to make...
I remember enjoying the wine when I was in Hungary. I don't remember craft beers, but that was 40+ years ago. I remember particularly enjoying the Roman baths in Budapest. By the time we got to Budapest, we had been on the road for several months, mostly camping and cold showers, so the hot spring baths were a real treat.
Old 06-04-19, 06:04 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I took my Bike Friday folding bike to Paris in 2005.

Gorgeous city, but shortly after arriving and biking in the curb lane, had a motorcyclist use the 1 ft. gap between me and the curb to thread through at 50+mph. No joke. The right lane is supposed to be bikes, buses and turning vehicles only, but in reality, motorcyclists and scooters thread in and out of traffic at breakneck speeds. I learned to keep much closer to the curb as a result. Don't know if it's still the same way, it might have changed by now.

Last edited by bargainguy; 06-04-19 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 10:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
We are Jewish, visiting Jews, so we are a bit wary, but so far, so good. There is political division, but there is also a respect for the fact that people have different views. We spent a pleasant evening with a couple who ostensibly support Orbán.

Right now, we are in the Kali Basin, around Lake Balaton. It's gorgeous. We did get a ride in already, and we did just fine. The food is amazing, and the wine is a pleasant surprise. Everything is impressive. A proper Hungarian table has salt, pepper, and paprika, and maybe even red pepper flakes.

The bikes I've seen here are unimpressive but functional. I might check out a bike shop in Budapest, which is our next stop.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-07-19, 11:05 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
My experience in Paris was the French were very friendly especially if I at least tried to begin things in my very rudimentary French. I think that they A) appreciated the effort and B) didn't want me to continue to butcher their beautiful language. All those rumors of rude, snooty Parisiennes were just that rumor, very nice and helpful and even if I didn't have much command of French I could always say Merci! I know at one point they had a very robust bike share program in Paris -Velib but they decided to change vendors in 2018 and I understand that caused issues not sure what the current state of their bike share program is. There are about 370 km of bike paths in the city so if you can find a bike that bodes well.

Baguettes, Croissants, Vin Rouge especially St Emilion region. I had the best lunch of my life in a little brasserie near Notre Dame. Have fun Tom -Bon Voyage.
this was my experience also.....of course the cynic in me is that everyone would be friendly with the prices (compared to Provence) and automatic tip I went to a little bakery every morning and my bad french became a bit of shared joke/experience.......and the bread and butter are worth the weight gain.

and the simplest food is often the most fantastic.... simple sandwich of baguette (don't need to say fresh they are), tomatoes and cheese at a cafe near the Eiffel tower...I still think about

In paris do watch out for pickpockets and street scams......... three card monte with bad shills by gypsies is classic draw for pickpockets..... but the 3 card monte guys are no where as good as the ones I remember in NYC. and for agressive street vendors targeting me as and american.....I just started speaking german

it will be a great trip

Last edited by squirtdad; 06-07-19 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 11:50 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Lake Balaton. Nice! Mrs non-fixie and I have been to Keszthely a couple of times, and swimming in Lake Balaton was one of the highlights on both occasions. Breakfast was the other one.