Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Hancevill Alabama - Shring of the Blessed Sacrament?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 01:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

I'm thinking about a visit to the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Hanceville Alabama.

This would be a day trip and I'd love to get a ride in. Gravel or paved, doesn't matter. 30 to 40 miles with a store stop would be great.

Is there anything scenic out that way worth riding past apart from the shrine itself? Local restaurants with character or similar? Places to avoid? Places to park for a crack of dawn start before visiting the shrine?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-19, 08:33 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I've not ridden this, so take that it for what it is, but you're not too far from Smoke Rise, and I know one of the local centuries does/did climb up one of the roads there. And they use US-31 along that Blount Springs/Garden City/Smoke Rise stretch, so it must not be too bad for cyclists. If you like BBQ, Top Hat is on US-31 there. Smoke Rise gets you close to Rickwood Caverns, another attraction I haven't visited.

EDIT: RWGPS link of the organized century route: https://ridewithgps.com/events/62232...ferson-century
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff