Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cleaning Up After a Big Ride

Old 07-11-19, 08:10 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Cleaning Up After a Big Ride

You guys know the drill...

You get done with a big ride and are exhausted. Everything is filthy, gear gets shoved into the trunk or back of the SUV and you head home. Bottles with various mixtures inside and a layer of dirt outside, legs and shoes covered in mud, the forest service roads make the car look like the Grapes of Wrath dust bowl hit it and the bike is a disaster...

Doing laundry after my last big ride I found a banana peel in the jersey pocket - as a practitioner of leave no trace I had carried it out of the forest and forgotten it was back there when I took it off after the ride.

Pulling into the driveway all I want to do is shower and sleep. The last thing I want to do is clean everything but leaving it for later or tomorrow is going to be ten times worse.

So what do you guys do to make things easier after a big ride? Is there a way to cut down on mess, reduce the time and effort required to clean up and generally make things more efficient?

An outdoor shower like some of the beach houses have would be really nice.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-11-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 08:49 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
For me, one aspect is not being a neat freak in general so I don't have an insane level of cleanliness to maintain to feel comfortable. Sounds argumentitive but I mean it sincerely. My mini van is my bike hauler and looks a bit like a work vehicle. I mean.. it's a mini van - who would I impress anyway

I also prioritize the difference between cosmetic and functional cleaning. This also happens in scuba diving where rinsing certain things (regulators) has to be done if you want gear to last while others can wait a day or two. For the bike it is the drivetrain, rinse water bottles if they have something other than water, at least lay out sweaty wet stuff so it doesn't moulder.

After that I tend to tackle any cleaning as a more relaxing part of biking when I have the time.
Old 07-11-19, 09:14 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
You guys know the drill...

You get done with a big ride and are exhausted. Everything is filthy, gear gets shoved into the trunk or back of the SUV and you head home. Bottles with various mixtures inside and a layer of dirt outside, legs and shoes covered in mud, the forest service roads make the car look like the Grapes of Wrath dust bowl hit it and the bike is a disaster...

Doing laundry after my last big ride I found a banana peel in the jersey pocket - as a practitioner of leave no trace I had carried it out of the forest and forgotten it was back there when I took it off after the ride.

Pulling into the driveway all I want to do is shower and sleep. The last thing I want to do is clean everything but leaving it for later or tomorrow is going to be ten times worse.

So what do you guys do to make things easier after a big ride? Is there a way to cut down on mess, reduce the time and effort required to clean up and generally make things more efficient?

An outdoor shower like some of the beach houses have would be really nice.

-Tim-
Its called a garden hose. Assuming you stripped your kit before getting in the car, dump all the wet stuff and bottles in a pile and hose em off and spray down the entire bike. Wring evrything out and throw it in the machine no need to sort. Shower. Throw the clothes you had on after the ride in with the rest. Start cycle. Walk around the house naked with a beer. Crash on the couch
Old 07-11-19, 09:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

I'm hoping that we can have a conversation rather than a series of competing "I" statements or condescending as if the other person were an imbecile.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-11-19, 09:54 AM
Happy Feet

I'm hoping that we can have a conversation rather than a series of competing "I" statements or condescending as if the other person were an imbecile.

-Tim-
I also enjoy a conversation that involves more than how to be a better consumer for bicycle related products but if you ask other people what they do you have to be prepared for "I" statements. I can only tell you what I do.

The question to ask is: What will be ten times worse if left for a day or two? That guides my decision making.

If I am bone tired, detailing the car on the same day makes little impact (other than making me more tired and potentially grumpy towards my family). One shortcut is to have a dedicated sheet or tarp to lay in the vehicle so there is less mess (other than on the removable tarp).

Fenders also help to reduce post ride cleaning. In the summer I forgo them but during the rainy season they make the difference between limited mud carnage and zombie apocalypse. Of course, if the goal is to look dirty in a cool way fenders are out.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-11-19 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 10:51 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

-Tim-
Why do you have to be so sensitive? If you're going to try to call me out at least dont edit your posts. Sometimes the threads you start are ridiculous and the subsequent posts will reflect that.
Old 07-11-19, 11:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by redlude97
Why do you have to be so sensitive? If you're going to try to call me out at least dont edit your posts. Sometimes the threads you start are ridiculous and the subsequent posts will reflect that.
This type of statement is very condescending.

Its called a garden hose.
Yeah, no **** sherlock.

-Tim-
Old 07-11-19, 01:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Not sure how to contribute without using "I" or some goofy passive voice. I'll use goofy passive for fun... The arms, legs and head are rinsed from a gallon jug, surfer style. The clothes are dumped in the washer upon entrance to the house. Water bottles are put in the dishwasher. A shower is taken. The bike can wait for a convenient time. Seriously, the water jug really makes the drive home more pleasant. A trash bag to corral GU wrappers, etc is also useful.
Old 07-11-19, 03:13 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Tim, I have a friend who carries a pressurized water tank in his car for cleaning the bike after a ride before he jumps in the car. I think they make them for mountain bikers.
Sometimes I will jump in the shower with my whole kit on to save some time pre-washing clothes. Also using a hydration pack cuts down on all of the bottle washing (for me). I just need to clean a mouth piece most of the time.
Old 07-11-19, 03:14 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
Tim, I have a friend who carries a pressurized water tank in his car for cleaning the bike after a ride before he jumps in the car. I think they make them for mountain bikers.
Sometimes I will jump in the shower with my whole kit on to save some time pre-washing clothes. Also using a hydration pack cuts down on all of the bottle washing (for me). I just need to clean a mouth piece most of the time.
$15 pump sprayer from the hardware store works pretty well too.
Old 07-11-19, 03:59 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
If the ride was muddy, I will put my jersey and other non-black colored garments in a large sink to soak for a while, and will even do several rinses and re-soaks before doing them properly in the laundry; this helps to actually get them clean.

For the bike, I will usually wait until the next day, when mud has hardened; will then get it thoroughly wet before trying to scrub off (with a clean rag) the dirt, so that it comes off more easily and results in less paint scuffing.

If the shoes are caked in mud, I just spray 'em with the hose, then keep stuffing (and removing/replacing) newspaper in them, leaving them in the yard if it's sunny outside. They may take a couple days to fully dry.

As for the rest of the stuff: I just throw it all in a pile on the garage floor and deal with it as I can. This is when it's nice to have a second (and third, fourth, etc) bike, helmet, pair of shoes, etc.
Old 07-11-19, 05:29 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I take my kit and give it to my wife to wash. I shower, eat, clean my bike, then kick back and admire how clean my bike is LOL.
Old 07-11-19, 06:42 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
After a 50 mile race I’m good for a normal rest-of-the-day, might even come home and do all my cleaning over the course of an hour and feel pretty normal.

After a 100 mile race, I come home and am exhausted, and it’s probably later in the day. It’s about all I can do to start a load of laundry with my kit, get my water bottles in the dishwasher, and take a shower before I shut down and Netflix/beer mode engages. Cleaning the bike? A day or two later, or if I’m riding again soon, after that ride maybe. Meticulously cleaning my hydration bladder for storage or the next race? Sometimes a week later. A lot of it is really just as important as you make it.

Anyway, I guess I don’t worry about it too much. Cleaning is a pain in the butt, so do it when you can/feel like it. I am happy I don’t have any Judgy Judgersons among my family/friends/neighbors.
Old 07-11-19, 07:03 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
I live in a third floor walk-up so it's a priority to make just one trip. Everything goes in a big backpack, wet/dirty items get bundled in my beach-size changing towel and then hung to dry before washing. Shoes go in front of a fan. That's pretty much all I have to do immediately, I bring the bike up same trip but it gets cleaned later usually.

This year I've been letting the bike dry and then wiping off the dirt/dust with a dry cloth. Chain goes into the cleaning wax, use a damp rag to wipe down chainrings and derailleur, dry brush for the cassette. I dunno, it feels pretty efficient. Certainly better than when I'd have to go to my parents house and do yard work and chase toddlers around for a couple hours after a race

ETA: You know thinking about this a little more, what I really do to be efficient is pack and clean everything that needs it before I leave the venue/parking spot. When I'm still in that post-ride high is a good time to sort out the trash, wipe off the really egregious dirt and then get everything ready so that when I get home I can just grab it and go inside. Mentally very easy I think.

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 07-12-19 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 07:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
our laundry room is right off our master bath. with gym every day at lunch & a nite job 2 nites a week, plus at least 1 bike ride per week, I'm doing a load of laundry almost every day. I have an area near the home HVAC where small items dry, either straight from the ride or after hand washing in the kitchen sink. I've got a towel bar over the laundry just for socks to air dry. there's a hook over & between the machines for my shorts
Old 07-12-19, 08:18 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
My mom helps me to clean up.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-12-19, 08:29 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Clothes/gear get washed right away, the bike on the other hand lol Depends on if it's wet or not, if it's wet, then I'll clean it and dry it right after the ride. If it's dry, then I'll let it sit until I feel like it, or before the next ride. I still need to clean it from the last ride, been on the road bike all week.

We have two car wash bays in the community, makes it easy to clean the bike when it's really dirty and just a wipe down won't do.
Old 07-12-19, 08:40 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
If the bike needs cleaning, it gets cleaned with the hose. I use water to rinse off the dirt and any mud to avoid scratching the finish. Wipe the big stuff off the drivetrain. Then dry the bike. Then chain cleaner and relube. Next, inside, I rinse my cycling clothes while taking a shower. Sometimes I reverse the order of cleaning myself and my bike. I dislike driving somewhere to ride so I don't typically have to deal with that as I usually ride from home since I live in an area with more dirt roads than paved.
Old 07-12-19, 08:50 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Its called a garden hose. Assuming you stripped your kit before getting in the car, dump all the wet stuff and bottles in a pile and hose em off and spray down the entire bike. Wring evrything out and throw it in the machine no need to sort. Shower. Throw the clothes you had on after the ride in with the rest. Start cycle. Walk around the house naked with a beer. Crash on the couch
On really bad (after a rain, or a particularly long ride) days, I would sometimes stop at a nearby gas station and use the water hose to rinse myself at least, and sometimes the bike (not the car though, they start getting upset if you use their 'radiator filling' hose as a car wash...) before continuing home.

But yeah, even a 5 minute hose rinse is better than leaving the mud and dust to cake on everything.
Old 07-12-19, 09:06 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Completely unscientific observation on my part, but in my area I have noticed that rust forms much more quickly when tap water is applied and not dried off immediately (vs. rain water). Just something to keep in mind. If your bike is wet or if you spray it with a hose, dry it before you let it sit for final cleaning.
Old 07-12-19, 09:29 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I have no idea what it is like to throw dirty sweaty clothing /gear into a car, 99% of my rides start from home and end at home.
Old 07-12-19, 10:47 AM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy chainring
Given the topic, it's hard to imagine a case where you wouldn't get this kind of honest, truthful, feedback.

Wow, you went for a gravel ride! Your stuff got dirty!

Solution: wash everything. Or only wash some of it.
No ethereal solution to this question.
Something I was taught by my wife was to "clean up after myself immediately", regardless of how late or my disposition.
Old 07-12-19, 12:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
How many gravel rides can you guys do before you have to wash your shorts/bibs?
Old 07-12-19, 03:07 PM
Happy Feet

I can't even get though a single ride without soiling them.

...soft slow pitch, right over the plate.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-12-19, 04:42 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
This type of statement is very condescending.

Yeah, no **** sherlock.

-Tim-
for someone who is super sensitive about others' comments you sure like to dish out condescending remarks
Likes For Chi_Z:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.