Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

new hobby - old passion

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

new hobby - old passion

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 09:11 AM
mugglemomof3

Bikes: old FS Elite 6-Convertible? (looked cool and old in a flea market - so I traded in my mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new hobby - old passion

Hello everyone out there in web land! Isn't this just amazing - how easy it is to connect with other people interested in the same things you are from all across the globe with just the click of a mouse! I'm so thankful to be living in this day and age.

Well, I'm a 35-year-old mother of three beautiful kids, and the girlfriend of a wonderful road racer who has inspired me in more ways than I could ever dream! He lost 40 pounds a couple of years ago while re-acquainting himself with mountain bikes - and subsequently won every race one year in our local mountain biking circuit and was named Rider of the Year. When I first started dating him - I would tag along to some of the time trials and road races and was amazed at the variety of people in his club. I had long seen these packs of guys and gals in vividly bright colors racing along our local highway service road and thought they must be nuts! It's West Texas and 100° outside! Now I still think they are nuts but wonderful and amazing just the same!

I've decided that I don't want to be fat anymore. I used to be a ballet dancer and had wonderful energy, but since I started having kids I don't dance anymore - and realized that I don't even drink water or exercise either - no wonder I'm 50 pounds overweight and depressed! I started riding my bike with the kids around the neighborhood and remembered the wonderful feeling I used to have as a kid - free to explore and let the wind whip through my long hair as I tore around the neighborhood! I was riding my bike a long way from home one day when I was about 11 and this little black fluffy puppy followed me home - we kept her and named her Bubbles - and she was the most amazing, most wonderful pet I've ever owned. I owe many wonderful memories of my childhood to my bicycle. It's such a shame that I forgot the joys of riding once I got old enough to drive.

Anyway - I'm thankful for the freedom to get out there on my old garage sale bike and start up again! I've once again discovered the joy of riding a bike. It's funny - the last five minutes of my ride I can't wait to stop (I'm sore and thirsty), but an hour later all I want to do is get back on the bike!!!

These forums are wonderful - I found them when my boyfriend broke his collarbone and I was looking for websites that discussed whether or not it was safe for him to keep riding with a broken shoulder - one of the forums was all about that and it gave us some great things to think about. He's fully healed now and back on track. Anyway - I'm working my way up to 5 miles or 30 minutes a day - whichever comes first! and my goal is to lose weight, get my heart and lungs and energy in shape, and be able to one day go touring across Europe with my honey! Right now I can't imagine riding more than 20 miles in one day, ever - but I've been assured it can be done - even those crazy century things!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed and work hard to get there!!!

Thanks to everyone who keeps these forums up and running and all who contribute - it's nice to know other people with the same passion.

Amy

P.S. I love being able to do things as a family - and we've found that reading/listening to the Harry Potter books and riding around on our bicycles are two of the greatest pleasures in life!
Old 08-02-05, 09:35 AM
jabike

Bikes: Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, Amy. What can I tell you that you haven't already figured out. First, you know that those crazy century things are a possibility, even if it is highly remote at this time. Second you clearly know that cycling solo is great, but cycling with someone you love is fabulous. Best of luck in this new passion. By the way you can ride farther. Simply ride away from your home for 5 miles or 30 minutes. Then you will have 5 miles or 30 minutes to get back. Somehow you will find a way.