Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flyte SRS-3s on ebay even cheaper! (99.99)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flyte SRS-3s on ebay even cheaper! (99.99)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 03:05 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
After all this Reynolds talk about their forks started I decided to look around. Turns out there are a lot of online shops that are clearing out Reynolds Ouzo forks. All between $150 and $200. Buy one if you want one.

Old 10-08-06, 03:07 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like they may be introducing an upgraded model soon and are clearing out the current stock. The low price makes sense in that scenario.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 10-08-06, 03:21 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think they are clearance as well. Regardless, it is a NICE quality fork. No corners cut anywhere
Old 10-08-06, 03:25 PM
Cot Du Trent
Nemesis of the mountain

Bikes: A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I missed something... Are Flyte frames really kickass? I've never really heard of them before. Seems really sketchy for $100...
Old 10-08-06, 03:34 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flyte is the former Airborne, which was a pioneer in selling high quality bikes exclusively online. Last year their license to use the name "Airborne" expired and they changed the name of the company and their products to Flyte. They are at a point now where they will no longer be selling complete bikes, and are going to be primarily marketing frames. As part of reorganizing the business model, they have moved to smaller facilities since they no longer need the space to assemble and store completed bikes. In any case, they have been clearing their '06 inventory on ebay at amazing prices, and yes they are well made quality frames. Hope this helps.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 10-08-06, 04:48 PM
Cot Du Trent
Nemesis of the mountain

Bikes: A 2005 Giant OCR3 and a 1970s Giant Quasar Fixed/Free conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely does! Thanks!
Old 10-08-06, 05:03 PM
bikerboyd
noob at large?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
What are you getting for parts?
I think I'm going to go with campy mirage, though I'm not certain yet. Real Designs aero hp fork, and no clue as far as the wheels are concerned. I'll probably be taking another walk down to the lbs tomorrow morning and check things out and then to the bank to check other things out..
Old 10-08-06, 05:07 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to figure out some sizing so I can purchase the frame, Hmmm wonder how long they give you to pay... anyone know?
Old 10-08-06, 05:38 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hi565
I need to figure out some sizing so I can purchase the frame, Hmmm wonder how long they give you to pay... anyone know?
It was buy now so I thought paying now was the only option. I would have preferred to pay next Friday I had a choice.

How do integrated and non-integrated forks differ? They don't all appear to say. I see the Easton EC90 SL is offered on the Flyte site but does that fork come in integrated and non-integrated styles? I need to be sure which to get.

Last edited by Dubbayoo; 10-08-06 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 02:35 AM
vinnydelnegro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so tempting.....i have a leader now. does anyone know if i could use my current cane creek is6 headset and fork with that flyte frame?
Old 10-09-06, 07:04 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinnydelnegro
so tempting.....i have a leader now. does anyone know if i could use my current cane creek is6 headset and fork with that flyte frame?
When I bought mine, the headset(FSA Orbit z) came installed on the frame.
Originally Posted by Dial_tone
How do integrated and non-integrated forks differ? They don't all appear to say. I see the Easton EC90 SL is offered on the Flyte site but does that fork come in integrated and non-integrated styles? I need to be sure which to get.
The SRS-3 has a 50mm OD headtube, and most forks for integrated headsets have a crown with a OD of 45mm-50mm . I think Reynolds forks have a 46mm OD at the crown, so that should work . Easton forks are integrated compatible, but will still work with a normal headset too.

Last edited by BoSoxYacht; 10-09-06 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 07:30 AM
djand

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1200, 2007 Specialized HardRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only one left now

I just bought the next to last frame set and a Reynolds OUZO Comp fork, I guess we will get to see what replaces the '06 stuff real soon now.

This will be my first bike build and I'm excited about having a road bike more appropriate for my dimensions. I bought one bike each from the two LBSs in town and the 'fittings' consisted of eyeballing the seat height on each. I just got the generic 54cm frame recommendation because I'm of medium height, not even an inseam measurment. Yeah, I'm a total noob.

Heck, if I am going to have to provide my own 'expertise', then saving money is my new loyalty. Thanks for the frame sale pointer guys!
Old 10-09-06, 07:53 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
djand - congrats on the new build. I just purchased the Ouzo Pro fork for my Flyte build this morning. My frame is sitting in my study begging me to build it up NOW, but I have to hold off a bit. Looking forward to seeing more Flyte pics with Ouzo forks.
Old 10-09-06, 08:23 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I know I'm singing into the wind here, but have any of you considered how a frame can be fabricated, painted, and shipped from the other side of the world and sold for $100 with a profit being made by all parties involved? I have a feeling someone is taking it in the butt on this, and I'm pretty sure it ain't the stateside party.

I would appreciate hearing from the Flyte guys about the conditions under which these are built. My conscience won't let me ride something people suffered to make.

Flyte? Factory photos? Workers?

For more info, see this article.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-06, 08:35 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
I know I'm singing into the wind here, but have any of you considered how a frame can be fabricated, painted, and shipped from the other side of the world and sold for $100 with a profit being made by all parties involved? I have a feeling someone is taking it in the butt on this, and I'm pretty sure it ain't the stateside party.

I would appreciate hearing from the Flyte guys about the conditions under which these are built. My conscience won't let me ride something people suffered to make.

Flyte? Factory photos? Workers?

For more info, see this article.

Thanks.

Good luck riding anything for less than 4000 dollars. And even then if the frame is made in the states, all the other parts were made in Asia anyways.
Old 10-09-06, 08:40 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tekhna
Good luck riding anything for less than 4000 dollars. And even then if the frame is made in the states, all the other parts were made in Asia anyways.
I don't really care where the frame is made. Just what conditions are present and that the employees are treated decently. Shimano has a good track record on this, as does Trek with their Asian sourced stuff.
Old 10-09-06, 09:52 AM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
When I bought mine, the headset(FSA Orbit z) came installed on the frame.

The SRS-3 has a 50mm OD headtube, and most forks for integrated headsets have a crown with a OD of 45mm-50mm . I think Reynolds forks have a 46mm OD at the crown, so that should work . Easton forks are integrated compatible, but will still work with a normal headset too.
So to ask the question so painfully obvious I probably shouldn't ask - a frame with integrated headset means the headset is already built into the headtube so you don't have to buy one? as opposed to - you buy and it just gets installed within the headtube?

They're offering the 2007 Flyte fork for $140 and it's pretty nice looking, especially with the stickers. Any reason not to go with that and/or the headset? I may as well get the cables & housing too since I'm moving my grouppo over and my current cables are 10 yrs old.

edit - I see it doesn't come with decals. I need the OCP points.
edit #2 - 280 lb. limit on the Flyte carbon fork according to them.

Last edited by Dubbayoo; 10-09-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 09:58 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Dial - integrated headsets, the bearing races are built into the frame, thus part of the headset is integrated into the frame. You still need the bearings, other races, etc. The Flyte actually uses what is termed an 'internal' headset, which, apparently is different yet. And yes, you've got to buy those seperate as well.
Old 10-09-06, 10:23 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Took some work, but I finally found an Ouzo Comp Carbon fork with an aluminum steerer for under $150. Better yet I got it from Cambria, a company I have ordered from before. I've been watching all of the component groups pricing since I got the frame....I am just waiting for ProbikeKit to get a 2007 Veloce group.

Total Cycling has some great deals, but I am just dragging my feet.

I love bike builds, it gives you something to obsess over.

Old 10-09-06, 11:43 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Psimet - sounds like you and I are on the same track for the Flyte build. What wheels are you going with? I'll be interested to see what your build weight comes in at. I just ordered the Pro fork, and will probably get a set of Campy Ventos in the wheel department.
Old 10-09-06, 12:14 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm. I can get the parts I need to jump from 8-speed Dura-Ace to 10-speed Ultegra from excelsports.com for <$650. What's my LBS going to say when I walk in with all these parts I bought online and say "would you build this for me?". Should I buy the grouppo from them just to build some good will?
Old 10-09-06, 12:45 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by cuda2k
Psimet - sounds like you and I are on the same track for the Flyte build. What wheels are you going with? I'll be interested to see what your build weight comes in at. I just ordered the Pro fork, and will probably get a set of Campy Ventos in the wheel department.
I have been kicking around a lot of ideas. I like the Ventos, but I don't really know a lot about them and I want something that is going to be fairly bullet-proof. I have messed around with the idea of buying some Veloce or Centaur hubs and building them with some OP, DT RR1.1, or Velocity rims. They'll be more expensive, but it will give me something to do (I've done everything except build a wheel from scratch), and probably be bulletproof in the end.

I keep going back and forth on the Veloce group (06 vs 07). I really like the idea of the Ultra-Torque and the differential braking. The reduced shifting (2 cogs at a time) with the '07 won't bother me a bit because I never used the old setup. To top it off it looks like Total Cycling has the group for about the same price that a lot of places have the 06 group on clearance for....

....hmmm...how many parts can I hide at work.....

Old 10-09-06, 01:23 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Psimet - ask Patriot about how his Ventos have held up for him on his commuter rig. Everyone I've spoken to have liked them. I think it was DocRay who found them a little flexy for heavier riders, but I'm right around 165 so I doubt I'll have much trouble there. I too am looking for a bullet proof wheel, but something reasonably priced and a little "different". I'll also have a pair of Velocity Aerohead rim wheels on another Campy 10sp bike to swap over if I need a light weight set for the day's riding.

I'm going for the 07 Veloce for certain on this bike. I'll have a mix of 06 and 07 Chorus/Record/Centuar on the Gazelle so I'll have one with and without this new 'escape' thingy that their doing to limit the shifts. Looking back at what riding I do here in Dallas, I very rarely need to go down that far on the cassette that fast anyways.
Old 10-09-06, 01:39 PM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
I don't really care where the frame is made. Just what conditions are present and that the employees are treated decently. Shimano has a good track record on this, as does Trek with their Asian sourced stuff.

Working conditions may be poor, possibly even deplorable. I have no firsthand knowledge. What I do know, is that they are employed and earning a wage. If these folks weren't making bike frames, they might not have a job at all. Which do you think the workers would prefer?

As far as the companies involved taking it where the sun don't shine, I believe they made their profits when these frames were selling for considerably more. $100 doesn't seem like much, but it buys a fair bit of extruded aluminum. Certainly more than 3 pounds worth.
Old 10-09-06, 10:25 PM
Dubbayoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So how OCP am I? The only reason I didn't like the $140 Flyte fork deal is because they don't include stickers with it. I was almost ready to pay the extra $60 to get one with stickers.

edit - They are now including the stickers so i'm getting the Flyte fork and headset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.