Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

As Safe as Driving a Car?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: It is possible to be as safe driving a bicycle in car traffic as driving a car?
Agree in principal (or even safer)
52.63%
Disagree in principal
23.16%
Impossible to generalize
21.05%
I have no idea
3.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 07:51 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Proposal: In general, all other things being equal, an experienced cyclist riding a bicycle in car traffic, using normal car lanes, riding legally and defensively, is in no more danger of having a collision than a car driver.

Caveats:
  1. Excluding interstate highways and similar roads
  2. "Legally" includes properly dressed and equipped for the conditions, including darkness (reflective material and lights)
  3. This is saying nothing about personal safety in the event of a collision, only chances of getting into one in the first place.

Last edited by JohnBrooking; 01-04-07 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-04-07, 07:59 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Negative factors:
  1. Bike is harder to see due to smaller size, and being less expected

Positive factors:
  1. Bike is easier to maneuver due to smaller size
Old 01-04-07, 08:18 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oops, didn't read the whole quote before voting. I said disagree, because I was reading danger as danger of injury. If you intend it to be danger of a collision then I would change my vote to agree.
Old 01-04-07, 08:21 AM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sub forum is a little danger obsessed IMO.
Old 01-04-07, 08:22 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think it is likely to be as safe per hour of travel, but probably not per mile. The longer travel time per mile increases the chances of a cyclist engaging in risk taking, which tends to be normalized according to activity time rather than distance covered.
Old 01-04-07, 08:24 AM
sgtsmile
Speed Demon *roll eyes*

Bikes: 1998 specialized s-works mtn bike / 2005 Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
I think it is likely to be as safe per hour of travel, but probably not per mile. The longer travel time per mile increases the chances of a cyclist engaging in risk taking, which tends to be normalized according to activity time rather than distance covered.
Which makes it the same as driving a car....
Old 01-04-07, 08:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts

Your guess is as good as mine or anybody else's guess with all these vague undefined bolded font parameters.

Anybody for guessing if the center of the moon is made up of green cheese?
Old 01-04-07, 08:50 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Are you trying to suggest that riding my tredly ain't safe?
Old 01-04-07, 09:45 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I agree in principal, but reality is another thing. Stupid actions by aggressive motorists tend to negate the principal.

And unfortunatly, the results to the cyclist, of even a minor fender bender, can be quite serious.
Old 01-04-07, 09:59 AM
cooperwx

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barba
This sub forum is a little danger obsessed...
That would address the SAFETY portion of Advocacy & Safety, I think.
Old 01-04-07, 10:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperwx
The other portion is obsessed with Bike Lanes, Cyclist "Training" and/or Ideology
Old 01-04-07, 10:20 AM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My feeling is that its much easier for me to avoid accidents and avoid other peoples mistakes in my bike than in my car.
Old 01-04-07, 10:27 AM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I know is I don't have people going out of their way to collide with me when I'm driving a car or motorcycle.
Old 01-04-07, 10:31 AM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Oops, didn't read the whole quote before voting. I said disagree, because I was reading danger as danger of injury. If you intend it to be danger of a collision then I would change my vote to agree.
Almost the same for me. Only difference is I was a little more careful and voted 'correctly'. However if we are talking about chance of injury I would reverse my vote.
Old 01-04-07, 10:34 AM
cydisc
Leaving Clydehood

Bikes: Trek 850

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything is possible.
Old 01-04-07, 11:16 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by barba
This sub forum is a little danger obsessed...
Originally Posted by cooperwx
yeah, but it doesn't do too much for the advocacy part.

Not only is there little context in place with these concerns, there's not much discussed about how the best way we can behave to avoid things to be safer.

Reading many of these postings it seems there's just a bunch of people who panic and worry and are cyclings worse avocates because they would scare anyone off two wheels.
Old 01-04-07, 11:23 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I hestiated and was going to vote agree, but didn't and voted impossible to generalize.

The reason is that one can apply safe driving principles to motor vehicles as well and drive a car with the care, alertness and situational awareness as one does when driving a bicycle. One can also avoid the more dangerous streets, take back ways, etc.

Al
Old 01-04-07, 11:43 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I won't generalize beyond my own experience so I'll just say that on my routes, riding my bike compared to driving my car, I feel less likely to be in a collision on my bike than in my car. It's more maneuverable and I can see and hear better on my bike.
Old 01-04-07, 11:47 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
It is impossible to generalize, but cyclists are people just like motorists and are subject to the same mistakes that lead to injuries.

If someone is concerned that a cyclist is more vunerable than a motorist to injury, they should look closely at motorists and their injuries. They're not better off.

Commuters makes up only about 5% of all cyclists here and BC has a 2% level of commuter cyclists while at the same time all cyclists are involved in only 1% of traffic collisions.

I had an old Stats Canada report that showed for every 100,000 motorists, 10 died, while for every 100,000 cyclists only 1 died.

I'm sure everyone is well aware of the Fatality Analysis Reporting System, a database of transportation crashes maintained by a branch of the US Federal government that shows the number of fatalities per 1,000,000 exposure hrs. for motor vehicles is twice that as for cyclists.

These numbers include all those (approx.) 80% of cyclists who were doing the most silly things on bicycles leading up to their injuries or deaths, like riding on the wrong side of the road, riding drunk etc. etc.

You'd have to define "safe" here as well. I don't think it's too "safe" if you make a mistake and have the potential to take several others to the grave with you too.

I don't think it's too "safe" to get around in a way that does nothing but decrease health as opposed to getting around on something that increases health.

And isn't that the perspective lacking here n the first place? People worrying about the 4% (or about 109,000) of deaths (almost half of which are automobile deaths) from the result of accidents as opposed to the millions of death due to diseases (in the USA - source: Time magazine cover story Dec 4/06) that cycling can do much to reduce.

I'd say it's risky not to ride a bike.

Last edited by closetbiker; 01-04-07 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-04-07, 12:00 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For the stipulations presented, there is no way to make an objective determination. The recorded statistics in the US, at least, do not include enough information regarding bike collisions to limit the data to this narrow subset. In addition, a high percentage of low speed collisions, where injuries are minimal, are not reported or included in the statistics.

That leaves us with individual opinions. However, my experience is that people regularly engaged in a particular activity tend to significantly underestimate the risks associated with that activity, whereas people not engaged in the activity tend to greatly overestimate the risks. So, the individual opinions expressed here would likely trend toward underestimating the risk of cycling (per mile, per hour, per lifetime, per whatever).

BTW, the question, as stated, did not impose similar constraints upon the motorist that was placed upon the cyclist. i.e., experienced, obeying traffic laws, and driving defensively. Nor, BTW, did the question define what "experiencd" or "defensively" entails. I, for example, many kids have been riding a bicycle for over 10 years by the time they are 16 years old. Would that make them more, or less "experienced" than a 45 year old cyclist who took had been riding for the past 5 years?
Old 01-04-07, 12:06 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Keeping up with traffic speed in a car or on a motorcycle helps a lot.
Any slow moving vehincle on the road is going to run into problems with being passed all the time and people being impatient. This includes bikes, car, trucks, tractors, anything that is slower than the flow of traffic.
Old 01-04-07, 12:20 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
This is related to the idea I came up with several months ago here that driving a motorcycle in the manner one drives a bicycle can be safer than a bicycle. Of course no one does this so the statistics are such that motorcycles are one of the more accident prone vehicles on the road.

Benefits of motorcycle over bicycle:
-Rider can wear more effective head and body protection
-Brighter and more effective front and rear lights
-Slightly larger profile
-Added mass and larger tires make it less prone to accident from debris or bad pavement (at matched bicycle speeds)
-Power to accelerate out of dangerous situations
-Better stopping distance at matched speed

Disadvantages:
-Perhaps field of visions and/or hearing are less than on bicycle ?
-Power and speed capability can be used to with risk of a more severe accident
-Somewhat less maneuverable, especially at low speeds.

The idea is that if one doesn't use the speed/power (except for emergencies) the motorcycle could be safer than a bicycle. That of course would mean not riding over 25mph unless this decreases the chance of accident in proportion that counters severity if one does occur. For sake of arguement one could simply never drive it over 25-30mph and deal with the same SMV challenges as a bicycle presents. The other factor would be route choice - the assumption would be that the motorcyclist would choose the same routes as a bicyclists. (i.e. not use freeways, choose back routes vs. arterials)

Its up to the rider of course and that is the weak point. No one could have the discipline to ride a motorcycle in such a manner. But it could be done, in which case would a motorcycle be a safer vehicle choice?

Al
Old 01-04-07, 12:26 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being slower cuts both ways in terms of safety. The number of interactions with same direction traffic is higher, but your ability to predict and avoid the more problematic crossing hazards is much better at lower speeds. It's probably close to a wash.

Similarly, and as pointed out earlier, the lower sensory cognitivity of a cyclist compared to a car is probably more or less balanced out by an improved ability to maneuver and avoid.
Old 01-04-07, 12:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Commuters makes up only about 5% of all cyclists here and BC has a 2% level of commuter cyclists while at the same time all cyclists are involved in only 1% of traffic collisions.

I had an old Stats Canada report that showed for every 100,000 motorists, 10 died, while for every 100,000 cyclists only 1 died.
Statistics are a funny thing... compare the milage covered by each of those groups of 100,000 and then tell me what the injury rates are.
Old 01-04-07, 12:30 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find I'm far safer feeling if I'm keeping pace with city traffic than say pokin' along. I find I'm having more fun when I'm faster though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.