Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter Project - 1x9 Commuter

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-14-07, 09:13 AM
Skipsjh

Bikes: 93 Schwinn Sidewinder, 05 Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a mid 80's Schwinn Traveler (lugged 4130 Cr-Mo) this summer and would like to convert it to 1x9 with 700c wheels.

This is what I'm thinking of doing so far. Let me know if anything looks completely dumb. Parts/brand-specific advice is definitely welcome.
  • Replace old 6spd Suntour derailleur with new/slightly used 9spd derailleur (Deore or Tiagra?)
  • Remove small chainring (changing out the chainring bolts for shorter ones)
  • Install new bottom bracket
  • Install new 700c wheels with 9spd cassette (what range?)
  • Install 700x28c or 700x32c tires (largest that will fit the frame w/ fenders)
  • Install new brake pads to replace old dry rotted ones (I think the calipers have enough reach)
  • Install moustache handlebars and one bar end shifter
  • Install fenders and rear rack

I've got the frame stripped down to paint right now, I'm trying to figure out a budget for this build. I would like the bike to last a few years of 3-season riding (I've already got a winter beater).

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 08-14-07, 09:25 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
You will need to cold set the (spread) the rear Triangle to accept the new 9 speed hub. It is not difficult but depending on your shoe size going from 126mm to 132mm or 135mm can push the chainstays out and you can hit them with you feet while pedaling. Also you will more than likely need a shorter bb spindle as you will be removing a chainring from the exisitng crank. I would ask if this plus the paint plus all of the other mods if worthwhile from a finiancial standpoint. If it were me, I would add the bars and the bar end shifter and try to use the exisitng components wheels etc. 6 speeds is plenty for most commuting unless you have serious hill climbing. You will also need a shorter stem to run the moustache bars. The schwinn headset, dependng on the year could be a proprietary diameter and finding the appropriate length stem could be a PIA. Do you have a pic of the bike?
Old 08-14-07, 09:29 AM
fender1

Also the only reason I would switch to 700cc is if you wanted to run studded tires. They come in 35mm widths and up. If you are going to run regular tires, 27 1 1x4 tires are 32mm in width. Schwalbe and many other still make high quality touring tire for 27 inch wheels. That said if this is all a project for fun as well do what ever makes you happy! I do lots of mods like this to my bikes. A lot of the time it is for my own entertainment.
Old 08-14-07, 09:56 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
It might be logistically easier for the OP to switch to 700 than to get a 27" rim laced to a hub that will accept a 9-spd cassette. Maybe not, I don't know.

I was thinking about stripping my Felt flatbar roadbike down to 1x9, I was going to use the nashbar 11/28 cassette and 36 or 29t chainring. Dropping the granny would have killed trailer use, so no need for wider cassette. But then I went a different route... (different bike entirely)
Old 08-14-07, 10:52 AM
Skipsjh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
You will need to cold set the (spread) the rear Triangle to accept the new 9 speed hub. It is not difficult but depending on your shoe size going from 126mm to 132mm or 135mm can push the chainstays out and you can hit them with you feet while pedaling. Also you will more than likely need a shorter bb spindle as you will be removing a chainring from the exisitng crank. I would ask if this plus the paint plus all of the other mods if worthwhile from a finiancial standpoint. If it were me, I would add the bars and the bar end shifter and try to use the exisitng components wheels etc. 6 speeds is plenty for most commuting unless you have serious hill climbing. You will also need a shorter stem to run the moustache bars. The schwinn headset, dependng on the year could be a proprietary diameter and finding the appropriate length stem could be a PIA. Do you have a pic of the bike?
The stem is already pretty short, and I'd need a longer on to use the drop handlebars effectively. I see your point about just going 1x6, and I'll have to look at the gearing I want to get. This bike would be used for occasionally pulling our trailer to the grocery store and back. I guess I could use the 6 speed rear with existing components and go friction shifting on the bar-ends. The big reason to change the rear derailleur out for a newer one is because the old one is really cheap and clunky.

Most of these mods I'm just doing for a project while it's cold this winter and to learn about setting up and adjusting different parts on bikes.
Old 08-14-07, 11:05 AM
fender1

I too like to tinker & learn so I can totally relate. I just swiched out my moustache bars for a set of drops so I can tell you that it was very important to have a short stem that was at least level with the seat height. Pulling a loaded trailer w/ 6 speeds is a bit of a different animal though. I think it is shimano who makes a 6 or 7spd freewheel w/ a 34 tooth gear I think it is called mega range? That might be an option.

I set up and old Schwinn with a Nexus 8spd hub for my winter bike and really like it. It may bee a bit more than you buget allows though. I have an extra set of Nitto Moustache bars 25.4 and a set of Suntour Barcons (one is broken, could be used for parts). If you want to try to work somethng out pm me.
Old 08-14-07, 11:26 AM
walterk46
Electro-Forged

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Finally a thread I know something about. I am running a mid-80's Schwinn Traveler (lugged 4130) in a 1x8 configuration with 700c wheels. Here are my comments:

* Replace old 6spd Suntour derailleur with new/slightly used 9spd derailleur (Deore or Tiagra?)
I've been running a Sora RD for thousands of miles with no complaints.

* Remove small chainring (changing out the chainring bolts for shorter ones)
I replaced both chainrings with a 44T ring. The 39 was too small, the 53 was too big. 44T is just right, for me. You can adjust chainline somewhat by putting the ring on either the inner or outer location on the crank.

* Install new bottom bracket
Yup. The old three-piece had a bend in the axle. Also, I'm not happy with lifespan of ISIS BBs. I'd stick with square taper.

* Install new 700c wheels with 9spd cassette (what range?)
As far as range goes, that depends on your terrain. I have a flat commute, and I'm happy with a 12-25 cassette. There was no magic in 700c for me, I wanted index shifting and I put on an old 700c wheelset from another project because it would take an 8 speed cassette. I guess my point is, if you are going to go for a new wheelset, then a 700c wheelset will be reusable on more projects (700c frames and 27 inch frames) than a 27 inch wheelset.

* Install 700x28c or 700x32c tires (largest that will fit the frame w/ fenders)
700c is a nice retrofit for these frames, you can put practically anything in there and still run fenders. I was running 32mm cyclocross tires last winter, currently have 32mm Panaracer Urban Max fitted for summer. Actually, I was running the CX tires on my old Electro-Forged Schwinn, but tire clearance looks about the same.

* Install new brake pads to replace old dry rotted ones (I think the calipers have enough reach)
If they don't have enough reach, you'll want Tektro R556's. I spent more on the brakes for my old conversions than anything else, but I'm glad for the modern-day stopping power when I need it.

* Install moustache handlebars and one bar end shifter

Mmmm, bar end shifter, +++. About the previous comment about stems/headsets, my Traveler had the "Schwinn standard" 0.833/21.1 stem, not the industry standard 22.2 stem. Not so easy to find replacement stems.

* Install fenders and rear rack
Yup. Planet Bike Freddy HardCore's and a Delta rack.
Old 08-14-07, 11:28 AM
Skipsjh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I too like to tinker & learn so I can totally relate. I just swiched out my moustache bars for a set of drops so I can tell you that it was very important to have a short stem that was at least level with the seat height. Pulling a loaded trailer w/ 6 speeds is a bit of a different animal though. I think it is shimano who makes a 6 or 7spd freewheel w/ a 34 tooth gear I think it is called mega range? That might be an option.

I set up and old Schwinn with a Nexus 8spd hub for my winter bike and really like it. It may bee a bit more than you buget allows though. I have an extra set of Nitto Moustache bars 25.4 and a set of Suntour Barcons (one is broken, could be used for parts). If you want to try to work somethng out pm me.
PM Sent. I've thought about an internal hub, but you're right, it's probably out of my budget. Thanks for the information.

If I used a 6 or 7spd freewheel with the 34tooth, I'd have to use the Deore longcage rear derailleur.
Old 08-14-07, 11:31 AM
Skipsjh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by walterk46
Hey! Finally a thread I know something about. I am running a mid-80's Schwinn Traveler (lugged 4130) in a 1x8 configuration with 700c wheels. Here are my comments:

* Replace old 6spd Suntour derailleur with new/slightly used 9spd derailleur (Deore or Tiagra?)
I've been running a Sora RD for thousands of miles with no complaints.

* Remove small chainring (changing out the chainring bolts for shorter ones)
I replaced both chainrings with a 44T ring. The 39 was too small, the 53 was too big. 44T is just right, for me. You can adjust chainline somewhat by putting the ring on either the inner or outer location on the crank.

* Install new bottom bracket
Yup. The old three-piece had a bend in the axle. Also, I'm not happy with lifespan of ISIS BBs. I'd stick with square taper.

* Install new 700c wheels with 9spd cassette (what range?)
As far as range goes, that depends on your terrain. I have a flat commute, and I'm happy with a 12-25 cassette. There was no magic in 700c for me, I wanted index shifting and I put on an old 700c wheelset from another project because it would take an 8 speed cassette. I guess my point is, if you are going to go for a new wheelset, then a 700c wheelset will be reusable on more projects (700c frames and 27 inch frames) than a 27 inch wheelset.

* Install 700x28c or 700x32c tires (largest that will fit the frame w/ fenders)
700c is a nice retrofit for these frames, you can put practically anything in there and still run fenders. I was running 32mm cyclocross tires last winter, currently have 32mm Panaracer Urban Max fitted for summer. Actually, I was running the CX tires on my old Electro-Forged Schwinn, but tire clearance looks about the same.

* Install new brake pads to replace old dry rotted ones (I think the calipers have enough reach)
If they don't have enough reach, you'll want Tektro R556's. I spent more on the brakes for my old conversions than anything else, but I'm glad for the modern-day stopping power when I need it.

* Install moustache handlebars and one bar end shifter

Mmmm, bar end shifter, +++. About the previous comment about stems/headsets, my Traveler had the "Schwinn standard" 0.833/21.1 stem, not the industry standard 22.2 stem. Not so easy to find replacement stems.

* Install fenders and rear rack
Yup. Planet Bike Freddy HardCore's and a Delta rack.
Thanks for this information! Part of the reason I'd like to go to 700c is to learn how to build up my own wheelset.