Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Country of origin(for bikes that is)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 08:08 PM
KungPaoSchwinn

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well, it's time again for that "my next bike will be...." in my signature below, i cant help it, by beloved Wally Schwinn is starting to go south in a prematurely manner,i had surely thought it would take sometimes before anything can go wrong but however, i know the lower end bikes from Trek are made in China and other brand might be the same as well, without actually going to a lbs,their websites dont show where all their bikes are made, or does it make any different ? i know the subject of labor cost ,but i need more insights, thanks for reading.
Old 12-08-08, 08:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Go with a Marinoni ... they're Canadian.
Old 12-08-08, 08:38 PM
Mr Danw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most modern bike frames are made in China. As bike model prices increase the quality of the components increase. Frames are basically frames. Most are Chinese. Of course the Chinese ride alot more than we do so maybe they ain't so bad
Old 12-08-08, 08:56 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
From what I understand, virtually all (most, not all) bikes are made in a handful of Taiwanese plants. Giant used to build bikes for Specialized, basically all of Trek's line (save the high-end full carbon) come out of SE Asia. If you look closely, you will find one frame that is shared by competitor's that have no affiliation w/each other. Same frame, just different paint schemes and component mixes.
Old 12-08-08, 09:07 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Out of the list in the OP's sig line, the only chance of a US bike is Cannondale (and even then he'll have to check). Unless he's goung to spend the big $$ for a Madone in the Trek line.

-Roger
Old 12-08-08, 10:41 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giant IS a Taiwanese company. Not sure about current status but a few years ago they were supposdly the largest bike manufacturer in the world. Their factory apparently makes a lot of bikes for other name brands too.

Specialized has always been primarily an importer, originally of accessories and parts. Even their original bike, the Rockhopper, was an import. Not sure if they have ever had U.S. bike actual manufacture.

Most Treks except the extreme high end CF bikes are now made overseas.

I have seen the same claim for current Cannondales. Cannonale is now owned by Dorel Industries which also owns Schwinn, Mongoose, Roadmaster and GT according to Wikipedia. Considering the quality and outlets used for their other brands I suspect Cannondale's quality reputation will not last much longer.

From what I read apparently even most Italian high end steel frames are now made in Taiwan or China and only finished in Italy.

Last edited by tatfiend; 12-08-08 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Expand
Old 12-09-08, 05:29 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Where was my bike made?

https://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328
Old 12-09-08, 07:18 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Berg417448
Not 100% accurate, judging by this statement: "Schwinn was for many years the largest American brand. All bicycles were made domestically until the late 80's. "
Mid-70's LeTours were made in Japan.
Old 12-09-08, 07:56 PM
Bop
Journey-man

Bikes: Custom S&S coupled cross bike and a custom S&S coupled 29er single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your point? By which I mean, what do you want to achieve? In today's world, "made in USA" typically means assembled in USA. Parts and materials are sourced from all over. I have bikes whose frames are designed and brazed in Philly and Scranton. But most of the components are from Taiwan and Japan, since that's the logical source for such things (unless you spec Campi). The days of a totally "made in USA" product being competitive on price with a well made product from foreign sourced parts is gone.
Old 12-09-08, 08:12 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Danw
Most modern bike frames are made in China.
I think you mean Taiwan. China does not equal Taiwan. Unless you are the mainland Chinese government!
Old 12-10-08, 01:55 PM
KungPaoSchwinn

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the inputs,yesterday was the last day of my possession of the Schwinn Skyliner, the rear derailieur had gone south for good, tied the bike to the back(rear seats had been removed months ago) of my Honda Element with 2 nylon straps, headed straight to Walmart in the cold rain and recieved a cash refund even thought the bike was purschased with their card.Now i am serious looking at the Trek's FX 7.2 and 7.3 models,the 7.3 is about $75 more but get a few better componets,i have read all the other posts related to these 2 models, hope i am making a good choice,any comments are certainly welcome.
Old 12-23-08, 08:47 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
That's true even of the fabled Dutch bikes. Gazelle's last domestic bike production factory in Dieren was shuttered in 2006, ending an era of bike production in Western Europe. The only thing Dutch now about Gazelle (The Netherlands' largest bike manufacturer and number one bike brand) is their bikes are finished in a Dutch factory. For all intents and purposes, they are now all built in China.
Old 12-23-08, 09:58 PM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technology is technology and the country of origin has less bearing on the quality of the product nowadays. The quality of a product is probably more accurately reflected by it's price point, and the "origin of design" of the product itself.

For example, I'm typing this on a state-of-the-art Apple iMac Intel Core 2 Duo computer... made in China.

Generally speaking, Taiwanese made bikes and components are better than Chinese made ones... for now anyway. A lot of Chinese bike factories are actually relocated Taiwanese companies - deliberately configured to produce their low-end products for the low-end market. It's not as if though they lack the technology or know-how.

Old 12-23-08, 10:02 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Products from Asia can be very high quality. A long time ago, much of the mass produced goods from Taiwan and China were regarded as shoddily produced junk. Today much of it is of very good quality. So don't be put off by products made in an East Asian factory or plant.
Old 12-23-08, 10:18 PM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KungPaoSchwinn
i know the subject of labor cost ,but i need more insights...
A Chinese made bike is not necessarily a poor bike;
and a Taiwan made bike is not a guarantee that it's a good one.

These are the facts:
1) you can't produce a cheap bike without cutting corners and
2) a reputable bike company will not put it's branding on a product that could damage their reputation.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-23-08, 10:27 PM
nivekdodge

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it's like putting a Cadillac badge on a Hyundai. It may not be a bad thing or a good thing but it's certainly not an honest thing. How many times a day do you think someone in a big box store says "Wow, honey they sell (insert name) here, they really good bikes. I had one when I was a kid".
Old 12-23-08, 10:34 PM
nivekdodge

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Products from Asia can be very high quality. A long time ago, much of the mass produced goods from Taiwan and China were regarded as shoddily produced junk. Today much of it is of very good quality. So don't be put off by products made in an East Asian factory or plant.
Or have we settled for thisDefinition of quality??? Right now I'm wearing timberland boots that are made in china. When I tried them on I went through 4 pairs and a couple of different sizes cause I thought the left shoe was bigger than the right. after all that in the store I thought I had a good pair but now you can see the shoe bunching up under the laces. I can't take 'em back because I wore em. And do I have a better choice? Choose american next time if there is one, but there is usually not unless you do a lot of homework like the report on bikes. And rarely do you find the info on one page.
Old 12-24-08, 01:14 AM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could be mistaken but so far as I know NO derailleur equipped bike sold in the US has ever been 100% domestically produced. The US has never had a derailleur manufacturer so far as I know unless very early SRAM derailleurs were. Same for aluminum 3 piece cranks used by American bike manufacturers. Post war single speed coaster brake cruisers were almost 100% American made into at least the 70s I believe.

At least since WWII bike manufacture has been very much a multinational business except that most French bikes were almost all French produced parts up to the 70s or so and high end Italian bikes with Campy groups were pretty much pure Italian in origin well into the 90s, or possibly even later.
Old 12-24-08, 04:39 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
I think you mean Taiwan. China does not equal Taiwan. Unless you are the mainland Chinese government!
It turns out that many owners of Taiwan bicycle factories have expanded their investments into mainland China. It seems strange that the two governments can be at each others throat but that manufacturers can operate in both countries without problem.

Bicycle manufacturers are by in large "General purpose" machine shops. The bicycle business is an example of investment in the machinery and technology that leads to being the best in a niche market. The manufacturing of bicycle components in Taiwan, Japan and Mainland China is not shoddy, in fact it is probably the best in the world.
Old 12-24-08, 05:10 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I try to buy American. I have two bikes US made, two bikes foreign.. Klein and Surly.. I trust their craftsmanship...

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 12-24-08, 05:58 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can have well made widgets and poorly made widgets from anywhere. Look how crappy American cars are, but how well made American aircraft are done by Boeing and General Dynamics.