Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

U-lock--one or both chainstays?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-07-10, 05:06 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

When locking the bike with a U-lock in the frame-rear wheel triangle, is it better to include both chainstays in the U lock, or just one (assuming the U lock is long enough to include both)? Is there any more insecurity one way than the other?
Old 09-07-10, 05:09 PM
kegoguinness
These go to eleven

Bikes: BF Pocket Crusoe; B Tikit; dust-gathering MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That doesn't matter so much as locking the U-lock in such a way that there is as little shank space left over as possible. That helps prevent a thief from getting a tool in place to destroy the lock.
Old 09-08-10, 12:46 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Locking through the wheel to a fixed object will prevent anyone from taking your bike but might make some think that they can slip the rear wheel and lock through the frame... including a chain stay or seat tube provides a better visual deterrent.

Old 09-08-10, 12:48 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Locking through the wheel to a fixed object will prevent anyone from taking your bike but might make some think that they can slip the rear wheel and lock through the frame... including a chain stay or seat tube provides a better visual deterrent.

Old 09-08-10, 06:42 PM
vol

The issue in my mind is, if you include both chainstays, could there be some kind of loophole that the thief can more easily get your bike than if you only included one chainstay? (your seat tube is very close to the rear wheel in the picture! Mine is not like that.)

Another, separate question: does one always (or mostly) lock the bike from its left side, i.e. the fixed object is on the left side (without the chain)? Any reason for that beside space?
Old 09-08-10, 06:51 PM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
The issue in my mind is, if you include both chainstays, could there be some kind of loophole that the thief can more easily get your bike than if you only included one chainstay? (your seat tube is very close to the rear wheel in the picture! Mine is not like that.)

Another, separate question: does one always (or mostly) lock the bike from its left side, i.e. the fixed object is on the left side (without the chain)? Any reason for that beside space?
I always lock my bike with the drive side against the rack. One, that's because I always dismount my bike on the left or non drive side, and two, I rest the frame against my chainstay protector. No harm - no foul.

I also use the Sheldon Brown locking method. It has allowed my to get the Krytonite New York Mini. A nice tight fit and it also keeps my utility bike upright when loading. Win win.
Old 09-08-10, 07:18 PM
vol

Does anyone know what is the diameter of a standard bike rack that is shaped like an upside-down "U"?
Old 09-08-10, 08:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I usually lock up with the non drive side against whatever I am locking to as to protect the chain ring from getting bashed and because I sometimes utilize that as part of my locking strategy.
Old 09-08-10, 09:13 PM
vol

I tend to lock with the side of the chain to the fixed post just to reduce the chance that someone will vandalize my chain or steal my derailleur. Is this justified?
Old 09-08-10, 09:51 PM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go through both chainstays, that way they cannot take the rear wheel off. You could go through the top part of the rear triangle too, either way as long as both sides are in the lock so the wheel can't be pulled through.

You don't need an especially long ulock, 8-9" should be enough to go through both and the large upside down U racks. Longer if you are going to take off your front wheel and lock it in the same lock. You just don't want to leave a lot of space in the u-lock since they can slip a jack in.

Locking skewers and a small u-lock would be easiest. Skewers aren't that expensive, esp if you plan on buying a separate chain/cable for the front wheel, might as well get skewers. I put them on my bikes, but don't want to go buy a small ulock so I am still using the big one and going through both stays just to fill up space to make it harder to fit tools in.

I lock it with the drivechain out, since often other people locking up their bikes will bump and move mine, and don't want it hitting the rack. I don't think anyone is going to be grabbing my derailleurs, not like i have expensive components.
Old 09-08-10, 10:17 PM
vol

Thanks. It seems most skewers can still be opened by the thief who has the right allen wrench (not likely but possible), so perhaps only the ones that require a key is reliable, but they could be quite expensive. Wonder if anyone's wheel with bolt skewers has been stolen?
Old 09-09-10, 07:03 AM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Try this:
https://missinglink.org/Pages/bike_locking.html
Old 09-09-10, 09:50 AM
vol