Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cartridge Hub Equivalent to Ultegra Hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 05:35 PM
vins0010

Bikes: '86 Trek Elance 400; '83 Trek 520; 90s Specialized Crossroads, '84 Trek 610 (wife's), 90s Trek Multitrack (wife's), Cargo Trailers, Burley for the Kids, WeeHoo Trailer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to build another wheelset, having previously built a three sets with Shimano Ultegra hubs. I like the hubs but am tired of repacking them with new grease and bearings. I'm wondering what the cartridge-equivalent of the ultegra hubs would be. Thanks.
Old 06-04-12, 05:43 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
1. Why is packing grease such a biggy? Shouldn't have to do it more than once a year. Some folks will go two.

2. Loose ball bearing hubs are a tolerant of droputs that are slightly off. Cartridge bearings hub based on M10 axle dimensions are intolerant - bearing destruction within a few rides is possible.

3. Formula, Novatech (Joytech), Chosen A1126 and A5127s, plus many more. Pick 'em.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 06-04-12, 09:51 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I don't *need* any new wheels, but I'd love to have a set of wheels built with Velo Orange cartridge bearing hubs, or their complete wheels with those shiny rims.

Hub selection:
https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...hubs/hubs.html

Ease-of-service freehub video:
https://vimeo.com/33367169
Old 06-05-12, 12:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
C King, & Phil all use their own axles..and freehubs,
but, all service parts are available.
Old 06-05-12, 07:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I am interested in this as well. My experience is that one rainy century ride will necessitate having to re-grease and readjust Ultegra hubs. I like the idea of hubs that can be easily broken down, freehub removed etc. Also would like readily available standard sized cartridge bearings, well machined flanges and Ultegra prices as opposed to PW and CK.
Old 06-05-12, 08:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I am interested in this as well. My experience is that one rainy century ride will necessitate having to re-grease and readjust Ultegra hubs.
This seems very odd. I have used 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace and Campy hubs on my bikes over the years and all are loose bearing, cup-and-cone types. Once a year overhauls are all they need, even on the "rain bike" that is routinely used in bad weather. The Dura Ace hubs have over 50,000 miles on them with all original parts and have been ridden in many, many rainy rides and not needed extra maintenence after any of them. Several of the other hubs have 20,000 to over 30,000 miles in all kinds of weather with no damage or wear using the same maintenance schedule.

I would offer one suggestion; use PLENTY of grease. I use Phil grease but there are many other good, suitable brands. I pack the bearings with what many consider a large excess of grease when I overhaul them. The excess oozes out for the first couple of rides and I have to wipe it off but it forms a good seal between the hub internals and the dust caps and does a good job of keeping water and dirt out.
Old 06-05-12, 09:22 AM
reddog3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm with Hillrider on this. One thing I suggest- if you are building wheels with a new aftermarket Shimano hub service it before being put into use.
Old 06-05-12, 09:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

With water intrusion as the worry..
How about use Mountain free-Hubs, they seem to put rubber boots
over the ends of the hubs , even at the lower price point
boat trailer wheel bearing grease
Old 06-05-12, 09:41 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Repacking hubs is therapeutic.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-05-12, 09:52 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Shimano hubs are the best you can buy as far as I'm concerned. At least, their rear hubs are fundamentally superior to anyone else's. Theirs is the only true freehub; there is no equivalent.

Way better value than anyone else too - if you get a good price on a s/h set of Ultegra or DA hubs, they'll make anything else look like a bad joke, for the money.

Loose balls FTW.
Old 06-05-12, 10:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
The hub I had the problem with was straight from the factory and probably did not have enough grease to begin with. When I serviced the hub I used lots of the green Park grease and wiped off the excess for several rides. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-12, 11:00 PM
vins0010

Bikes: '86 Trek Elance 400; '83 Trek 520; 90s Specialized Crossroads, '84 Trek 610 (wife's), 90s Trek Multitrack (wife's), Cargo Trailers, Burley for the Kids, WeeHoo Trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...so I guess I should just buck up, keep getting the Shimanos, and just re-pack once a year. Yeah, it isn't a big deal, I guess, but, for some reason, I really hate repacking hubs. I think I even prefer removing a cassette and cleaning it with a toothbrush and solvent. Those Velo hubs look tempting. If you go cartridge, it looks like getting ones with easily obtainable and replaceable cartridges is also a consideration.
Old 06-05-12, 11:31 PM
mrrabbit 

If you hate dealing with the grease....

1. Get a dental syringe used for rinsing from your dentist.
2. Cut off half of the tip for a 1/8" bead.
3. Fill 3/4 with Park Tool grease...pack it in using your finger.
4. Use it as a grease gun - be sure to retract plunger a tad when done so it doesn't run a little out.

Good for 8-10 top offs or about 3-4 complete overhauls...

All you are using a rag or towel for is wiping out old grease, and wiping off the new that leaks when spinning the hub after an overhaul.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 06-05-12, 11:47 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by vins0010
Hmmm...so I guess I should just buck up, keep getting the Shimanos, and just re-pack once a year.
Or trade up to Campagnolo Record hubs and their Shimano compatible freehub that's sold separately.

Record hubs come with grease ports where the official recommendation (c 2006) is to lubricate (with a grease gun) every 1200-3000 miles and only disassemble for service every 6000-12000 miles.

Campagnolo is one of very few companies other than Shimano which coins their spoke holes.

Freehub pawls and springs are also sold separately so if you some how manage to wear them out you don't need to buy a whole new freehub.

Both cones and cups are available as replacement parts so worn out cups don't require a new hub and wheel rebuild.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-06-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-06-12, 12:20 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

No such thing as a non-Shimano freehub, though.

The rest are pretend. They're cassette hubs, no more.

Just watch everyone worth a damn rush to the Shimano design when their patent expires.

Last edited by Kimmo; 06-06-12 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-06-12, 06:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
If you hate dealing with the grease....

1. Get a dental syringe used for rinsing from your dentist.
2. Cut off half of the tip for a 1/8" bead.
3. Fill 3/4 with Park Tool grease...pack it in using your finger.
4. Use it as a grease gun - be sure to retract plunger a tad when done so it doesn't run a little out.

Good for 8-10 top offs or about 3-4 complete overhauls...

All you are using a rag or towel for is wiping out old grease, and wiping off the new that leaks when spinning the hub after an overhaul.

=8-)
A larger commercial version of the same "tool" is the Dualco grease gun available from several places like Bike Tools Etc. and, I believe, Harbor Freight sells a knockoff. It holds 4 oz of any grease and meters it neatly and without waste where ever you need it. It also keeps your hands out of the tub of bulk grease so you don't contaminate it. It also lets you buy grease in large tubes or tubs which is much cheaper per ounce than the small bike shop tubes.

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=DU-LG1
Old 06-06-12, 08:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
2. Loose ball bearing hubs are a tolerant of droputs that are slightly off. Cartridge bearings hub based on M10 axle dimensions are intolerant - bearing destruction within a few rides is possible.
Lots of people...including me...use cartridge on lots of different bikes. I seldom hear of 'bearing destruction within a few rides'. In fact I've never heard of it.

Over 30 years of riding, I've had 10 or 15 cartridge bearing hubs and I've had a single bearing failure which was quickly remedied with a new cartridge. That failure was also after thousands of miles of riding with zero maintenance. I've had many loose ball bearings and I've lost count of the number of failures I've experienced with them. Some of those...the ones where the hub cup was pitted...lead to complete failure of the wheel.

vins0010: Pricey cartridge bearing hubs are Phil Wood, Chris King, White Industries, DT Swiss, etc. Velo Orange hubs are moderately priced. The Formula and Novatech are less pricey. In terms of quality, the Wood, King and similar are lovely jewels that are tough as nails and heirloom quality. The others descend in quality but are serviceable and will last as long as a set of Shimano hubs will...which is a long time.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-06-12, 09:08 AM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Lots of people...including me...use cartridge on lots of different bikes. I seldom hear of 'bearing destruction within a few rides'. In fact I've never heard of it.

Over 30 years of riding, I've had 10 or 15 cartridge bearing hubs and I've had a single bearing failure which was quickly remedied with a new cartridge. That failure was also after thousands of miles of riding with zero maintenance. I've had many loose ball bearings and I've lost count of the number of failures I've experienced with them. Some of those...the ones where the hub cup was pitted...lead to complete failure of the wheel.

vins0010: Pricey cartridge bearing hubs are Phil Wood, Chris King, White Industries, DT Swiss, etc. Velo Orange hubs are moderately priced. The Formula and Novatech are less pricey. In terms of quality, the Wood, King and similar are lovely jewels that are tough as nails and heirloom quality. The others descend in quality but are serviceable and will last as long as a set of Shimano hubs will...which is a long time.
Note that I specified cartridge bearing hubs built around an M10 axle spec...

Most manufacturers of quality sealed cartridge bearing have come up with various ways to enlarge the axle diameter between the dropout in an attempt to stave off the non-linear pressure applied by quality dropouts when the quick releases are closed. It does work to an extent.

When I first bought my wife's Diamondback Apex in 2002, supposedly a bike that retailed for about $900.00, I put in a brand spanking new set of Chosen A5027 / A1026 sealed cartridge bearing hubs. Think old Ringles or Bullseyes built around an M9/M10 spec. Immediately after her first ride of about 20 miles - the rear wheel became sticky. Took the wheel off - non-drive bearing literally destroyed.

Took the bike down to the LBS for a dropout check - the left dropout on a brand new factory bike was off by a good 7-10 degrees at least. If you had see it yourself - you would have been shaking your head like me. Shop owner was shocked - pissed actually. So was I. We went ahead and straightened it out - fingers crossed that the rather beefy alloy dropout wouldn't break.

I also had to replace both bearings. Since then, the hubs which get about 200-300 miles per year have been functioning perfectly smooth.

On Sutherland's 5th Edition, page 10-7, Sutherland's lays out an entire "cartridge bearing" page with a caution regarding cartridge bearing alignment and how flex and loading aggravate things for M8 through M10 axles. Of particular interest is the exception made for Phil Wood axles - which of course are of a whole different material level and design.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 06-06-12, 09:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

The driver under the cassette, getting that mech to roll on cartridge bearings.
that is over half the design chore , since it's both axle
and carrying the torque to drive the bike forward...

Phil freewheel hubs have been good for me, the rigid axle, never bends.
bent axles was one of the things putting the bearings further out
on the end of the freehub driver was meant to solve.
Old 06-06-12, 09:56 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode for one summer on Novatec road hubs w four cartridge bearings and they were, IMO, crap. Perhaps it is because I am heavier and/or stronger than most, but they creaked and popped and skipped from day one. I assume it was because of the faux-freehub system that relied on the axle to hold the whole thing together and aligned.

Shimano hubs are the bees knees. You should not have to repack after one long rainy ride… I certainly don’t.

IF you want something as good quality as Shimano Ultegra but don’t want Shimano, you are going to pay for it. If you want a basic inexpensive training wheelset, then get whatever you can find for cheap. But Shimano hubs are superior to all but the best cartridge bearing hubs.
Old 06-06-12, 10:38 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by DCB0
I rode for one summer on Novatec road hubs w four cartridge bearings and they were, IMO, crap. Perhaps it is because I am heavier and/or stronger than most, but they creaked and popped and skipped from day one. I assume it was because of the faux-freehub system that relied on the axle to hold the whole thing together and aligned.

Shimano hubs are the bees knees.
Yes. Someone else sees the light.

But Shimano [rear] hubs are superior to all but the best cartridge bearing hubs.
They're arguably superior to all other hubs from a design perspective, if not in practice.
Old 06-06-12, 10:38 AM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by DCB0

Shimano hubs are the bees knees. You should not have to repack after one long rainy ride… I certainly don’t.

IF you want something as good quality as Shimano Ultegra but don’t want Shimano, you are going to pay for it. If you want a basic inexpensive training wheelset, then get whatever you can find for cheap. But Shimano hubs are superior to all but the best cartridge bearing hubs.
Spot on...

Chosen A1126 and Chosen 5127

About 18.00 and 35.00 by the time they reach US. Distributor to retailer becomes about 30.00 and 50.00. Retailer is gonna charge about 50.00 and 85.00 for a whopping 135.00 before tax. And course, the distributor and retailer may not have a freehub replacement option for you 3 years out. (Unlike myself...)

=8-)

You want non-Shimano BUT quality - you're gonna pay no matter what.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 06-06-12, 10:45 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
No such thing as a non-Shimano freehub, though.

The rest are pretend. They're cassette hubs, no more.

Just watch everyone worth a damn rush to the Shimano design when their patent expires.
Utility patents filed before June 1995 were good for 17 years. Those filed after last 20 years from the date of filing to harmonize US patent lifetimes with Europe, Japan, and other places. The Shimano outboard bearing design dates to around 1980 which makes the patent expired and people aren't copying it en masse.

With high-quality steels and 10mm axles the inferior inboard axle design is sufficient. Plenty of riders growing through middle age have proved that with thirty trouble free years on Campagnolo 8-speed C-Record hubs. It doesn't work so well with cheap pot metal.

With larger diameter axles it's overkill - at a given weight and length a hollow object's stiffness (where the number of fatigue cycles survived is a function of the stress cycle magnitude resulting from deflection) is roughly proportional to the square of its diameter making a similar weight 15mm axle 2.25 times the stiffness. Keeping the same wall thickness and allowing weight to increase nets a cubic relation for 3.375 times the stiffness.

That's enough that you can get away with aluminum (which does not like being flexed) and bad steel not an issue.

For over a decade quality hubs have been built with axles larger than 10mm rear / 9mm front with the ends turned down to standard drop-out dimensions.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-06-12 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-06-12, 11:30 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by vins0010
I'm looking to build another wheelset, having previously built a three sets with Shimano Ultegra hubs. I like the hubs but am tired of repacking them with new grease and bearings. I'm wondering what the cartridge-equivalent of the ultegra hubs would be. Thanks.
I don't get this. Repacking a Shimano hub takes 15 minutes and is required about once per year. Unless you are using your bike to play underwater polo.. Driving in a rainstorm with your bike on a rack is another surefire way to blast all the grease out of the bearings. As is giving a newbie mechanic a can of WD-40, or a pressure washer.

Going beyond the fact that Shimano cassette hubs have the best design in the business, Shimano hubs are quite well sealed; their better mountain hubs likely have the best water/dirt protection - period. If you think that cartridge bearing hubs are better sealed, think again. Most non-Shimano hubs (including Campagnolo cassette hubs) have freehubs that let a lot of contaminants past the ratchet seal.

If your plan is to run a hub until the cartridges fail, then it will actually take you more time and more cost to extract out of the hub, and then track down some obscure 1-RS50XY bearings from every shop in town, than spending the 15 minutes per year to replace a little grease.
Old 06-06-12, 11:46 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The seals in radial and cup-and-cone bike bearings are dust seals and are not able to keep out water. The shimano and old Suntour freehubs were and still are the best on the market. According to Park tool even radial (cartridge) bearings should be serviced at aabout the same interval.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/free-k7.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.