Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Mini-Velo Reference Thread: discussion about 20" wheeled road bikes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Mini-Velo Reference Thread: discussion about 20" wheeled road bikes

Old 08-28-12, 10:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
The Mini-Velo Reference Thread: the 20" (and smaller) wheeled road bikes

Hey Y'all,

I wanted to start a general thread to collect info about mini-velos over here in the Road forum because, while there has been a good deal of chatter over in Folding Bikes forum about them, aside from the small wheel commonality, that forum seems like an awkward place for these bikes, since they're not folding (as a rule).

In any case, I'd love to see a Mini-Velo forum, but lacking that, since I use mine for casual road riding, I wanted to see who else does, and share info about sources, parts, and set-up for our mini-velos.

Mine is a Mercier Nano. What are you riding?

Last edited by chaadster; 04-14-13 at 01:16 AM. Reason: tried, unsuccessfully, to change title
Old 08-28-12, 04:04 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Hey Y'all,

I wanted to start a general thread to collect info about mini-velos over here in the Road forum because, while there has been a good deal of chatter over in Folding Bikes forum about them, aside from the small wheel commonality, that forum seems like an awkward place for these bikes, since they're not folding (as a rule).

In any case, I'd love to see a Mini-Velo forum, but lacking that, since I use mine for casual road riding, I wanted to see who else does, and share info about sources, parts, and set-up for our mini-velos.

Flip it.
Front skewer is on the wrong side.
Pedals are at the wrong angle.
No white garage door.
Saddle is angled.
Bike obviously doesn't fit you.

Welcome to the 41.
Old 08-28-12, 04:19 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now THAT's a tall head tube.

Also, what's the point if it's not folding?
Old 08-28-12, 05:15 PM
Rob13

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S Works SL4 Keyline Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Y'all,

What ever floats your boat ~
sorry only comment I have....
Old 08-28-12, 05:37 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Now that is a masterful troll, earnest, straightfaced, and irresistible. Well played
Old 08-28-12, 06:11 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
That frame looks too small.
Old 08-28-12, 06:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Oh you guys just wait until I get my 68t chainring and 11t cog...
Old 08-28-12, 08:01 PM
Rob13

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S Works SL4 Keyline Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What it remind me of.
Old 08-28-12, 09:04 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
I suppose I can understand why you'd buy a bike like this if it folds. Even that's a stretch.

But it doesn't fold, and since you have the option, why would you choose to ride a mini bike over a regular road bike?
Old 08-28-12, 09:21 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Now THAT's a tall head tube.
I've never seen FT shifters before
Old 08-28-12, 09:32 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
flip it and slam it
Old 08-29-12, 11:05 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Personally I think they are kind of funky looking. I would not mind having one but I am not sure I am ready to plunk down $400 bucks for it.

I agree though the OPs bike does look a bit small, judging by all that seatpost.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-29-12, 04:54 PM
James H Haury
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel better with a solid frame under me rather than a folder.That is why I would buy one. I have been wanting a mini velo for years.
Old 08-29-12, 05:48 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is really a thing? My BMX bike became way too small for me about 6 inches ago - so it won't work for me.
Old 08-29-12, 06:52 PM
moppeddler

Bikes: Trek 1.5, Scwinn Sporterra comp, Cannondale Synapse carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many clowns get off of that thing when it stops?
Old 08-29-12, 08:05 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My wife would like to see one in person. She likes the idea of small wheels, which would make it easier for her to carry it out of the apartment building and stash in the car.

Lighter and sturdier than a folder, too.
Old 08-29-12, 09:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by BarracksSi
My wife would like to see one in person. She likes the idea of small wheels, which would make it easier for her to carry it out of the apartment building and stash in the car.

Lighter and sturdier than a folder, too.
In the same way they're easy to manage in hand, they're flickable and fun to shoot around with on the road, too.

If you've only been riding 700c/29 or 26" lately, you'll probably find the 20"ers a real joy and a great addition to your stable.
Old 08-29-12, 09:37 PM
veggie
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I kind of want one of these, if not just to add to the stable. Do I see mounts for a rack on the seat stays? Seems like a stretch
Old 08-29-12, 11:19 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my Windsor Shetland. Its my favorite bike and I have plenty. To answer the previous post asking about a rear rack. I attached one with no problem it was just like putting it on any bike. The size panniers I can put on the bike are limited by the shorter chainstays, but the Nashbar ones on there are perfect for what I need on this particular bike. When I bought this I thought I was being silly spending money on something I didn't need that I thought just looked cool. After a couple of days I was convinced I had a bargain. It doesn't fold, but in less than a minute I can take off the wheels and stow it in the trunk of my car and its easy enough to pack around on trips. The bike fits me as well as anything else I ride and I am about 5'10".

This one a bought a couple months ago becasue it was better suited for commuting or longer trips than the Shetland and I plan to put dropbars and brifters on it. Mini velos are awesome IMO.

Old 08-29-12, 11:23 PM
veggie
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking at your picture, I realize it was all just a trick of the eye. The small wheels made the seatstays look huge when in fact they are not. I wish I wasn't a poor college student who just blew a lot of money on a tandem and was looking to move out soon, because now I want one of these.
Old 08-29-12, 11:46 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
I suppose I can understand why you'd buy a bike like this if it folds. Even that's a stretch.

But it doesn't fold, and since you have the option, why would you choose to ride a mini bike over a regular road bike?
Minivelos are lighter, stiffer, more responsive than folders. They are popular here in Japan as they can be stored easily in crowded apartments and bagged and taken on the train easily. Most importantly, they are really fun to ride.

Tyrell makes some of the best.

Old 08-30-12, 06:20 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by monsterpile

This one a bought a couple months ago becasue it was better suited for commuting or longer trips than the Shetland and I plan to put dropbars and brifters on it. Mini velos are awesome IMO.

Curious to know why you say this bike (is it a Gazelle?) is better suited to longer rides? Is the longer wheelbase more comfy?
Old 08-30-12, 09:20 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curious to know why you say this bike (is it a Gazelle?) is better suited to longer rides? Is the longer wheelbase more comfy?
I should have qualified it as longer trips as a better option for possible touring with the canti or V-brakes and the longer wheelbase to load it up. I can't say for sure its more comfy because I haven't done the drop bar conversion yet, but it does have a more stable ride. I'll mention though that I would have no issues with riding the Windsor for hours as far as comfort is concerned.
Old 08-30-12, 10:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by monsterpile
I should have qualified it as longer trips as a better option for possible touring with the canti or V-brakes and the longer wheelbase to load it up. I can't say for sure its more comfy because I haven't done the drop bar conversion yet, but it does have a more stable ride. I'll mention though that I would have no issues with riding the Windsor for hours as far as comfort is concerned.
Yeah, my Nano is pretty comfy, too, although the smaller wheel does give up some comfort to a 700c rog over the rough stuff.

It would be interesting to compare the ride quality differences between Shetland and Nano; I'm guessing the geometry is the same, and that only the frame material ( steel vs. alu) differs. You've probably got the only one in the world, though, eh?
Old 08-31-12, 04:24 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Minivelos are awesome, don't knock them till you try one.
The geometries are very similar to big bikes but they accommodate the smaller wheels.
Hence the clownish headtube, high bottom bracket, and long stays.

I compare 700c bikes to locomotives, they take longer to get up to speed but cruise nicely at speed.
A 20"/406c bike is like a sports car, it accelerates and stops quicker, but the smaller wheels lose inertia quicker when coasting so keeping a high speed is marginally harder (although offset by better aeros).
Less rotational wheel weight = more responsive.

I often ride in between traffic so I need the compact nimbleness a minivelo offers that a 700c can't.
I think a fat tired minivelo would be the perfect courier bike.

If you don't think minivelos are fast read the records and racing section of this link.
https://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/heritage.html

You wouldn't want to go mountain biking with one but they roll over road bumps well enough.
My minivelo (Dahon Silvertip) actually does fold, but it's as rigid as a regular full frame.

If I could get any road bike today, I would get one of these made.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...&view=previous
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P8103666.jpg (95.4 KB, 395 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.