Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rim width for 25mm tires (and other wheel questions)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 10:36 AM
flats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide on a set of wheels and I'm looking at various 30mm deep rims. This will be a do-it-all wheelset: training, road racing, centuries, and double centuries. I want to stay in the 1500g range, and will run 25mm tires. I weigh 175 at most. Boyd Vitesse looks perfect. Is there any reason to consider a 19mm rim like the Kinlin xr300?

If not Boyd, the other option is PSIMETs with 19mm wide kinlins on T11 hubs. Price and weight are very close. Opinions?

How do White Industry T11 hubs compare to Boyd hubs? How does the build quality of PSIMET compare to Boyd?
Old 02-18-13, 12:29 PM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
19mm rims are fine. Wider 22-23mm rims add to the width benefit. Most manufacturers are making wider rims now, so there are many to choose from.
Old 02-18-13, 01:08 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Agreed^

Originally Posted by Looigi
Wider 22-23mm rims add to the width benefit. Most manufacturers are making wider rims now, so there are many to choose from.
Wider rims provide quite a nicer ride with improved handling and cornering actually. This comes a result of the mounted tire not having its bead pinched into the rim, which creates a "light bulb" shaped tire when mounted. Instead with a wider rim, the tire has a wider, more consistent profile, emulating sew ups/ tubulars and the benefits from such as mentioned above without the hassle.
Old 02-18-13, 01:25 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
White Industry hubs have some added strength benefits compared to the Boyd/Bitex hubs. Most notable is a titanium freehub shell that holds up better to cassette gauging when used in a Shimano compatible wheel. I believe they also have larger axels and a higher bearing capacity, but I also haven't heard of issues with that on the Boyds. The WI also weigh about 2 ounces more for a set.

The WI are USA-made if that matters to you. Stand alone price for the T11 set is about $400 where as you can buy Bitex through the bikehubstore for about $110.
Old 02-18-13, 04:48 PM
coachboyd
Boyd Cycling owner

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canam73
White Industry hubs have some added strength benefits compared to the Boyd/Bitex hubs. Most notable is a titanium freehub shell that holds up better to cassette gauging when used in a Shimano compatible wheel. I believe they also have larger axels and a higher bearing capacity, but I also haven't heard of issues with that on the Boyds. The WI also weigh about 2 ounces more for a set.

The WI are USA-made if that matters to you. Stand alone price for the T11 set is about $400 where as you can buy Bitex through the bikehubstore for about $110.
The Vitesse no longer use the Bitex hubs. We have revamped the hubs in all of our wheels and they are now going to be very comparable in quality to White Industries or any other aftermarket "boutique" hub. We have a new pawl system, some of the best flange spacing out there, a pre-load adjustment, and a left bearing that is moved out as far as it can go to add more stability and place the bearing away from the flange. Best of all, you won't have to spend an extra $400.
Old 02-18-13, 08:40 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Good to hear. By chance do you know if they are compatible with the steel AC cassette clip?
Old 02-18-13, 10:07 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use 19mm Kinlin XR270 rims and Novatec hubs in my current wheelset and they're really solid. That said, I'd go with something with wider 22-23mm rims if I was in the market right now.
Old 02-18-13, 11:28 PM
dcgriz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flats
I'm trying to decide on a set of wheels and I'm looking at various 30mm deep rims. This will be a do-it-all wheelset: training, road racing, centuries, and double centuries. I want to stay in the 1500g range, and will run 25mm tires. I weigh 175 at most. Boyd Vitesse looks perfect. Is there any reason to consider a 19mm rim like the Kinlin xr300?

If not Boyd, the other option is PSIMETs with 19mm wide kinlins on T11 hubs. Price and weight are very close. Opinions?

How do White Industry T11 hubs compare to Boyd hubs? How does the build quality of PSIMET compare to Boyd?
The 30mm deep profile will give you some extra stiffness and will allow you to lace with fewer spokes and add to the somewhat aero effect of the rim if aero is your thing. However, the bulby shape of the 25mm tire mounted on a 19mm rim will take away from it. IMO, a 23xmid twenty profile will do better for you. Look at HED C2, Archetype or Pacenti SL23 for welded and Kinlin 23x28 for pinned rims. Pinned are less expensive but you will need to live with the rim joint.

The main difference most people realize from the 23mm rims is a bit more comfort because of the reduction in tire pressure all else being equal.

You did not say what is your drivetrain but if you do not need 11 speeds, I feel you will do better not using the new 11 speed compatible hubs. The reason being the reduced flange width necessary to fit the 11th cog has reduced the spoke bracing angle and the tension ratio. The wheel lateral stiffness then suffers. Furthermore, the NDS tension is now suboptimal which makes it easier for the wheel NDS spokes to go slack. Slackened NDS spokes throw the wheel off if they don't break first. At your 175 lbs lateral stiffness may not be a high priority for you, unless you are a powerful rider, climbing standing up rocking the bike, etc. You decide. If you have Shimano/Sram 10s, the Durace 7900 is an excellent hub, underrated and, if bought right, substantially less expensive from the boutique hubs and with better hub geometry than the 11 speed boutique hubs.

I am not familiar with the new Vitesse. I have heard good things about the 10s Shimano older version but do not have any personal experience with either the 10s or 11s (reading coachboyd's post I tend to believe they've come up with the 11/10s version).

i hope it helps.