Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Charity Events
Reload this Page >

2013 - Knoxville Tour de Cure

Search
Notices
Charity Events Whether you're looking for riders, sponsors, or volunteers, this is the place to tell the world that cyclists can make a difference.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 01:57 PM
gsimpson2g

Bikes: 2011 Treak Alhpa 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am riding in the 2013 Knoxville Tour de Cure this year. Currently I am signed up for the 50 mile route, though I believe it may end up being in the 60 mile range. I am looking for some help in reaching the goal of $200 to ride, and have set a lofty overall goal of $500. You can follow the link above to make a donation.

Why Tour de Cure?
Tour de Cure is a charitable ride for the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes really hits home with me. My father has been a diabetic for almost 20 years now, taking insulin daily. My Uncle (dads brother) was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes when he was young, and has been dealing with it ever since. My mother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years back, as well as both my grandfathers. My young niece, 7 years old now, was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes a few years back. She has been taking insulin shots ever since, and her blood sugar levels have been EXTREMELY difficult to keep under control. Me and my family have been told by doctors that since Type 1 diabetes runs in my dads family, it usually likes to skip a generation, and that any of my children have a decent chance of having the disease.

When is the Tour de Cure?
The Tour in Knoxville runs on June 8th. There were quite a few riders and teams last year, for all of the different ride lengths. The required $200 fundraising goal isn't necessarily due on the day of the event. I believe they give up to a month after the event to raise the money, as long as they have information form you to charge a credit card for the remainder.

If you are in the area, come join in on the fun! If not but would still like to help out, go ahead and donate some money to this great cause we are fighting for.