Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bruce Gordon Touring Bike Value?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 10:41 AM
Grandslamboogie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a beautiful BG touring bike that I bought used about 10 years ago. Babies and toddlers in the house now and the bike has been hanging unused for 3 years and I just don't have the space to store it so it's time to sell. Does anyone have an idea of what it's worth?

Based on the serial number I believe it was built in 1996. It has 2 water bottle holders, front and rear Bruce Gordon racks and 2 sets of tires (road and Rock & Road).

Measurements (based on the BG sizing info - https://www.bgcycles.com/fitting.html) are as follows:
Standover Height = 28 and 3/4 inches
Frame Size = 16 inches
Top Tube length - A = 21", B = 4", and C = 25"

Any thoughts on what this bike is worth will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0255.jpg (99.8 KB, 412 views)

Last edited by Grandslamboogie; 05-29-13 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 05-29-13, 12:23 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post a pic so we can at least see it!
Old 05-29-13, 12:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
half of what you paid for it is a rule of thumb, if undamaged, and ready to ride.
Old 05-29-13, 02:29 PM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just added a pic. Desperately needs a wash!
Old 05-29-13, 06:56 PM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Fietsbob!
Old 05-30-13, 06:21 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was selling it, I would list it on Ebay at $1500 or BO and see what offers I got. Even with all the shipping hassle and fees on Ebay and PayPal , I usually come out far ahead of what I get when selling on Craigslist.
Old 05-30-13, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Here, LBS, if you put a bike on consignment, after it sells, it all can be applied to, say, another bike,
more suitable to your needs.

and would get more than as a trade in.
Old 05-30-13, 11:02 AM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
If I was selling it, I would list it on Ebay at $1500 or BO and see what offers I got. Even with all the shipping hassle and fees on Ebay and PayPal , I usually come out far ahead of what I get when selling on Craigslist.
Thanks velonomad. I'm in Canada - which will most definitely make shipping expensive and a hassle - but I may look into that.
Old 05-30-13, 11:03 AM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Here, LBS, if you put a bike on consignment, after it sells, it all can be applied to, say, another bike,
more suitable to your needs.

and would get more than as a trade in.
I like this idea too! Thanks!
Old 05-30-13, 09:08 PM
mtn.cyclist

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love for you to keep it and ride.
Old 05-30-13, 09:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

bike panniers on racks, that solid, do make great shopping bags, and you will need something to tow the kid trailer..
Old 05-30-13, 09:47 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grandslamboogie
I've got a beautiful BG touring bike that I bought used about 10 years ago. Babies and toddlers in the house now and the bike has been hanging unused for 3 years and I just don't have the space to store it so it's time to sell. Does anyone have an idea of what it's worth?

Based on the serial number I believe it was built in 1996. It has 2 water bottle holders, front and rear Bruce Gordon racks and 2 sets of tires (road and Rock & Road).

Measurements (based on the BG sizing info - https://www.bgcycles.com/fitting.html) are as follows:
Standover Height = 28 and 3/4 inches
Frame Size = 16 inches
Top Tube length - A = 21", B = 4", and C = 25"

Any thoughts on what this bike is worth will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
I see that you're from Canada, so touring bikes in general are a bit of a hard sell cause there's just not a huge market for it. Grand Fondo is the big thing now, so bikes geared to that kind of event will sell for more.
And there is a glut of new old stock touring bikes being priced down to like $799 or $899 new (Fuji Touring/ Raleigh SoJourn and Kona Sutra for like $1200) due to the end of the recent bike boom due to high gas prices, so they are going to be your starting point divided by half.

Unless a person is looking for a Bruce Gordon bike, your value in the brand name is going to mean very little to an average buyer. And in some provinces like Vancouver, BC, Canada, you will have a heck of a time selling a touring bike like yours at top dollar. That's just the way it is.
Old 05-31-13, 05:19 AM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
I see that you're from Canada, so touring bikes in general are a bit of a hard sell cause there's just not a huge market for it. Grand Fondo is the big thing now, so bikes geared to that kind of event will sell for more.
And there is a glut of new old stock touring bikes being priced down to like $799 or $899 new (Fuji Touring/ Raleigh SoJourn and Kona Sutra for like $1200) due to the end of the recent bike boom due to high gas prices, so they are going to be your starting point divided by half.

Unless a person is looking for a Bruce Gordon bike, your value in the brand name is going to mean very little to an average buyer. And in some provinces like Vancouver, BC, Canada, you will have a heck of a time selling a touring bike like yours at top dollar. That's just the way it is.
Pacificcyclist - sadly you're right about the Canadian market. I'm in Ontario and have had several people interested but all men that are considerably taller than me. Need to find a man that's looking for a bike for his short wife

I've got a bike seat that the kids ride on behind me but of course the seat won't fit on my BG so it's on my 25 year old clunker mountain bike instead.
Old 05-31-13, 05:22 AM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn.cyclist
I would love for you to keep it and ride.
Me too. I've posted on kijiji and if someone is interested I'll sell but I guess I'm not desperate so if no one bites, I've still got a great bike... hanging from the ceiling of my garage.
Old 05-31-13, 05:28 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
+1 on trailer and utility cycling... you can find use for your bike even with kids.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 05-31-13, 07:40 AM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grandslamboogie
Pacificcyclist - sadly you're right about the Canadian market. I'm in Ontario and have had several people interested but all men that are considerably taller than me. Need to find a man that's looking for a bike for his short wife

I've got a bike seat that the kids ride on behind me but of course the seat won't fit on my BG so it's on my 25 year old clunker mountain bike instead.
Try posting the ad at your local MEC store both at gearswap and at their bulletin board.

Good luck on your sale.
Old 05-31-13, 02:48 PM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why do people use children as their excuse not to do things instead of the children being the reason why they do things? It's confusing to me.
Old 05-31-13, 10:23 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Saddle Up
Why do people use children as their excuse not to do things instead of the children being the reason why they do things? It's confusing to me.
I'd rather blame the wife
Old 06-01-13, 06:34 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
That is a small frame, so that will limit your market quite a bit. However, for the right person, it would be a great bike made by a master craftsman. Personally, I would list it on the Crazyguyonabike website classified ad section. That way you will be reaching the segment of cyclists who might appreciate the bike for what it is and pay a fair price. For a price, your best guide would be to search completed auctions on eBay. Unfortunately, Bruce Gordon bikes are not very popular, so you might not find many if any completed auctions for them. IMHO, I doubt if you could sell the bike as is for $1,500, even though BG tourers are top notch. A used bike that is 16 years old in a small size by a boutique builder is just not going to command top prices. The price will also be determined by the components, which you did not describe. If built with Shimano Ultegra/DA or Campy parts, it will be worth much more. Often, you are better off parting-out a bike than selling it complete, but that is more work.

For comparison purposes, in the past couple of years, I have bought these frames -- all in very good condition for the following prices:
- Waterford RST-22 custom frame, fork and Chris King headset, $650. This is a top-of-the-line sport touring frame that would cost $3500-4000 new.
- Gunnar Sport frame with Waterford fork, headset and brakes, $650. Topnotch sport touring frame that would cost $1500 new as built.
- Ritchey Breakaway Cross frame with travel case, headset but no fork, $510. High quality travel cross frame in great condition that would cost about $1300 new.
- Bob Jackson World Tour frame and fork, $600. This was a brand new frame, in the color of my choice, shipped from England.
Old 06-01-13, 10:22 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
I second using Mec, or the crazy guy site, as I'm sūre you just need to find the group of people who want to tour, and as mentioned, someone around 5'2", who would appreciate it.
Without seeing it in person, the price seems good, but I wouldn't sell it for a song, if there are not major problems with it, its too nice a bike to sell too low.
Good luck
Old 06-01-13, 01:43 PM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it helps you with pricing, I bought a used very small custom Curtlo touring bike for my wife on Craig's List for $650. It was a couple of years old, built up with Shimano XT. It was a great deal and it is a very nice bike. Your BG has much nicer racks and is a more expensive frame, but you are dealing with a limited market. The bike I found on CL had been relisted multiple times and I paid less than the asking price. Hope that helps you figure things out.
Old 06-03-13, 07:27 AM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saddle Up
I'm officially offended, Saddle Up. I'm only trying to sell a bike. If I was looking for people to comment on the way I live my life with our without children, I'd post on Oprah.com. I get plenty of riding in with my kids. Just not on this bike. But thanks for your concern.
Old 06-03-13, 07:31 AM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
I'd rather blame the wife
Oh, if only I could. Unfortunately I AM the wife I'll blame the workaholic husband instead.
Old 06-03-13, 08:47 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Good responses btw. Anonymous internet forums can unfortunately bring out grumpykins, but there are parents here who know how family life is, so don't fret.
My wife is just a bit shorter than you, but alas doesn't want to ride loaded, if the situation and or timing was a bit different I would be interested (we got an xs road bike recently) but there must be interested tourers out that this bike would fit.
I'm sūre you will find the right buyer in time.
Cheers
Old 06-03-13, 11:55 AM
Grandslamboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
Try posting the ad at your local MEC store both at gearswap and at their bulletin board.

Good luck on your sale.
Thanks pacificcyclist. I had it on the Gearswap but see I have to re-post it. If I make it to an actual MEC in the near future (I'm not lucky enough to have one locally) I'll be sure to post an ad on their bulletin board. Thanks for the idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.