Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear vbrake not springing back

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 09:24 PM
Wenmtuz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I got a problem recently that when I hit the break level, the rear brake on my road bike won't spring back. I've remove the cable and it's spring back, so is that the brake problem or my cable problem ? I've changed another vbrake on it too, and it's work on the first ride, but then the same problem happened again.

thanks alot
Old 05-23-18, 11:35 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Most likely a brake cable problem. If you haven’t replaced them or the housings in a year or two, do it now. Make sure all the brake housings bend smoothly and align well at the stops. Make sure the cable has no kinks anywhere, right up to the clamp bolt. The cable should slide very easy pushing or pulling it through the housing.

Make sure the lever works well while you are at it. The noodle guide on the brake needs to be clean and very smooth. If it has a liner, pull it out and check. Those need replacing sometimes too.

You may have 3 holes for the spring anchors under each cantilever arm. Switch to the next tighter notch. Usually the middle notch in the rear, due to the long cables, and the lightest notch in front. If there are spring adjustment screws giving them a turn may be enough (mainly those are for centering).

Finally, a very light coating of PTFE lube on the cable helps. Very little. Wipe it on and then wipe it all off before inserting into the housing. Any more and it gets sticky.

Last edited by catgita; 05-23-18 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 08:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
or return spring anchor pin is not engaged in the hole in the frame ..

Did a shop tune up.. mounting bolt loose.. pin no longer in its place.
Old 05-24-18, 08:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Wenmtuz
Hi, I got a problem recently that when I hit the break level, the rear brake on my road bike won't spring back. I've remove the cable and it's spring back, so is that the brake problem or my cable problem ? I've changed another vbrake on it too, and it's work on the first ride, but then the same problem happened again.

thanks alot
I agree that it is most likely the cable binding in the housing somewhere. That said, the pad can sometimes hang up on the tire, especially if you are running wide tires on narrow rims. Check to make sure that your pad isn't hitting the tire.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-28-18, 07:18 AM
Wenmtuz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank for all the feed back , so I pulled off my cable and have a check, the new cable I get last month was busted in the middle so for now I give a good tension of the cable and it's work fine . So should I get another new set of cable?

my friends fully recommend me to get Teflon coated cable for longer use and better performance