Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Soul Wheel Owners=Suckers???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Soul Wheel Owners=Suckers???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 11:59 AM
novacoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread has greatly delivered.

Reasons for my soul s4.0 purchase:
- price
- lighter than my old wheelset
- big thick rim which makes me look cool
- it was an upgrade
- it was the winter so i felt like buying something

Benefits derived from the purchase:
- i suddenly felt more sexier. somedays at stop lights waiting for a green, i would find myself looking down at my soul s4.0s, and further catch myself purring and rubbing the top tube.
- they are better than my old wheelset.
Old 06-10-11, 12:02 PM
novacoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by novacoke
This thread has greatly delivered.

- price
- it was an upgrade

Benefits derived from the purchase:
- i suddenly felt more sexier. somedays at stop lights waiting for a green, i would find myself looking down at my soul s4.0s, and further catch myself purring and rubbing the top tube.
by the way, your intentions to not insult soul wheel owners is complete bull. your title implies that i may be a SUCKER???? i too, am confidently labeling you as a certified dick bag.
Old 06-10-11, 12:04 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
The one good thing that comes out of this thread is the addition of the phrase "dick bag" to the BF lexicon, along with droped hammers, baby bolts and slamdancing.
Old 06-10-11, 12:06 PM
hodie21
Sucking Wheel at the back

Bikes: Lynskey Helix Sport, Lynskey M290, Cervelo S3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Incorrect.

I am opening some molds for carbon rims and we are doing molded holes.

No patent issues.
Taken from ENVE/EDGE Composites Website.

Perhaps the major difference is that we have a patented process where we mold in the spoke holes. All other manufacturers drill the spoke holes which weakens the surrounding area. Carbon fiber gets its strength from running continuous, not broken fibers. Routing the fibers around the hole effectively increases the strength of the area around the spoke hole, thus allowing us to build a higher tensioned wheel. That's up to 130kg in the front and 150kg on the drive side rear. A stronger spoke hole also reduces the possibility of spoke pull through. A conical surface is molded into the inside of the rim to optimize the interface with the Pillar nipple. This allows the spoke to articulate as it exits the spoke hole, ensuring that it won't bind on the rim; greatly reducing the possibility of spoke breakage.

You must have come up with a different process for molding the nipple holes.
Old 06-10-11, 12:09 PM
hodie21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by novacoke
this thread has greatly delivered.

- price
- it was an upgrade

benefits derived from the purchase:
- i suddenly felt more sexier. Somedays at stop lights waiting for a green, i would find myself looking down at my soul s4.0s, and further catch myself purring and rubbing the top tube.
lol
Old 06-10-11, 12:14 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
It's amazing! Rims with similar depths and profiles have similar aerodynamic performance! Who could have guessed?!?
That, sir, is indeed amazing!
Old 06-10-11, 12:15 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
OT but since the original thread has pretty much run its course: my hats off to you guys. From what I read on photography forums from wedding photogs, dealing with those clients on a daily basis would drive me nuts. Thankfully, my photography is limited to wildlife/nature and I only have to deal with are stock/editorial buyers - many of them are idiots but atleast they are professional idiots. Having to deal with neurotic brides/family on wedding day would make me use my 500 as a club.
Fortunately most of the time its not that bad, and actually usually its the opposite. You get to work with people on one of the happiest days of their lives, and as the photographer you are part of it. I'm usually treated really well. Depending on the family though I might have to worry about the client playing 'let's get the photographer drunk' as the partying goes on. That's happened a couple of times. Along with the occasional grope from someone who's had a bit too much, lol.
Old 06-10-11, 12:17 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by hodie21
Taken from ENVE/EDGE Composites Website.

Perhaps the major difference is that we have a patented process where we mold in the spoke holes. All other manufacturers drill the spoke holes which weakens the surrounding area. Carbon fiber gets its strength from running continuous, not broken fibers. Routing the fibers around the hole effectively increases the strength of the area around the spoke hole, thus allowing us to build a higher tensioned wheel. That's up to 130kg in the front and 150kg on the drive side rear. A stronger spoke hole also reduces the possibility of spoke pull through. A conical surface is molded into the inside of the rim to optimize the interface with the Pillar nipple. This allows the spoke to articulate as it exits the spoke hole, ensuring that it won't bind on the rim; greatly reducing the possibility of spoke breakage.

You must have come up with a different process for molding the nipple holes.
Nope.

Just because yu do something - even do it first - doesn't mean it is patentable.

Old 06-10-11, 12:17 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Fortunately most of the time its not that bad, and actually usually its the opposite. You get to work with people on one of the happiest days of their lives, and as the photographer you are part of it. I'm usually treated really well. Depending on the family though I might have to worry about the client playing 'let's get the photographer drunk' as the partying goes on. That's happened a couple of times. Along with the occasional grope from someone who's had a bit too much, lol.
Wedding work is for close friends and family only. the rest of the time it's purely for fun. I certainly don't make enough to consider it a part time job, but you're right--pick the right family/couple and it's actually a lot of fun.
Old 06-10-11, 12:18 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well as long as you don't have a 3some with 2 of my friends as happened at my wedding, then you're all set. My only question was where was her camera while that was going on?
Old 06-10-11, 12:25 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by eippo1
Well as long as you don't have a 3some with 2 of my friends as happened at my wedding, then you're all set. My only question was where was her camera while that was going on?
Did you atleast get a discount?
Old 06-10-11, 12:47 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you atleast get a discount?
Hah, well she was a student that we hired for very little to take candids in exchange for being able to use the photos in her portfolio. We had an official photographer as well and both of them took a lot of great shots.
Old 06-10-11, 12:57 PM
hodie21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope.

Just because yu do something - even do it first - doesn't mean it is patentable.
Let me know when you start making those wheels. I would be interested.
Old 06-10-11, 12:58 PM
Shuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to include another perspective here:

I race on CRAPPY wheels right now. I know somebody who races on even CRAPPIER wheels. We both bought wheelsets from Boyd. We knew we shouldn't expect to get Zipp's with Boyd stickers on them. Even though they're not Zipps we know that they will be on an entirely different planet than our current wheels. So what if they're not designed to squeeze an extra 2watts out? They're still going to be lightyears beyond what we were riding.
Old 06-10-11, 01:15 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lol, well, that's a first for me. I've never thought about trying to score with a guest while at the wedding/reception. I'd be too worried that I'd miss a key shot, and end up having to refund money. At which point the sex would have cost me money and I'd have inadvertently turned the guest into a hooker....
Old 06-10-11, 01:23 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Nope.

Are you disputing Enve's claim that they patented something or the validity of their patent? I looked briefly but couldn't find any patents assigned to Enve or Edge.
Old 06-10-11, 01:23 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, well, that's a first for me. I've never thought about trying to score with a guest while at the wedding/reception. I'd be too worried that I'd miss a key shot, and end up having to refund money. At which point the sex would have cost me money and I'd have inadvertently turned the guest into a hooker....
lol!! oh man that was good!!!
Old 06-10-11, 01:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The one good thing that comes out of this thread is the addition of the phrase "dick bag" to the BF lexicon, along with droped hammers, baby bolts and slamdancing.
Dickbag - one word, not two. That is all.
Old 06-10-11, 01:31 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
both of them took a lot of great shots.

One more than the other...
Old 06-10-11, 01:33 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
One more than the other...
awesome
Old 06-10-11, 01:36 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well it was late into the evening and she apparently never made housing arrangements (and it was in the middle of nowhere).
Old 06-10-11, 01:54 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
In the pre-war heydays of automobile racing - notably before wind tunnels or a full understanding of aerodynamics, human ingenuity, trial and error, intuition - call it whatever - people figured out what made for a faster car. Heck, even Richard Petty built a more aerodynamic friendly car by making it 7/8th scale simply by eyeballing it.....until he was caught.

The proof was in the pudding - if it worked it worked, and wind tunnel testing for miniscule gains for bicycle wheels for most non-pro riders just isn't an issue. It would appear that Soul wheels have built a very good reputation amongst its customers, and to post a thread on the internets with a title "Suckers" is plain ignorant.

Last edited by mpath; 06-10-11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-10-11, 02:20 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't know TS. Go buy some wheels with your money and let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 06-10-11, 02:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Dickbag - one word, not two. That is all.
That's the first I've heard that too.

This has been a good day at BF - I learned don't paint a dork disk black, look to see if photographers get groped at the next wedding, and I'm calling the next car that cuts me off a dickbag.
Old 06-10-11, 02:44 PM
BayAreaUser

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
No, Don't go there and pose a question. That thread was created by yours truly with the objective of consolidating soul owners and giving us an excuse to post pictures of our bikes.
It'd be a shame to have it ruined by drama.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.