Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hard time deciding between Felt Z85 and CAAD 10 5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 10:00 AM
Seven999

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some thoughts on a buying decision I'm having trouble making.

I'm going to be buying a road bike for the first time (I've done a lot of riding over the past couple of years, both commuting and leisure, on my urban hybrid). I've narrowed my choice to a Felt Z85 and Cannondale CAAD 10 5. My price range was originally going to be 1 to 1.2k or so, but I think I could handle up to what the CAAD 10 5 would cost me (2012's are starting to come in at 1.5k). It would be sort of painful to increase the budget that much, but the CAAD just seems so solid.

The Felt Z85 was amazing too, it just seemed like the CAAD was a slight notch higher.

However, I can pick up the Felt z85 at an end of season sale from a good bike shop here in Chicago (Mox Multisports) for 1025, and the guy said he'd be willing to even further incentivize the purchase if I come up with something reasonable.

What do you guys think? For the money, it's a really tough choice. I think if the Felt was still sitting at 1199 MSRP, I would just not blink at putting down the extra 300 for the CAAD. But with such a huge price difference, is it worth 500, possibly more(especially with chicago tax) to go with the CAAD? Can anyone speak to just how much better it will be in the long run for a new Road biker?

links... Z85:

https://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011...eries/Z85.aspx

CAAD 10 5:

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/road...10-5-105-15725

Thanks!

Last edited by Seven999; 08-16-11 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-16-11, 10:07 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Would help if you post the links to the exact bikes you are looking at.

Old 08-16-11, 10:10 AM
Seven999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoops, my fault... Z85:

https://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011...eries/Z85.aspx

CAAD 10 5:

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/road...10-5-105-15725

edited OP with the links too.
Old 08-16-11, 10:18 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Get the Felt......You will be happy with it.

Old 08-16-11, 10:37 AM
Seven999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any particular reason? Just feels like more bang for the buck?
Old 08-16-11, 10:42 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Your writing indicates a preference for the Cannondale.
I am not trying to put words in your writing here but you point out what you are willing to do such as "It would be sort of painful to increase the budget that much, but the CAAD just seems so solid.", to get a Cannondale. You also write "CAAD was a slight notch higher."

You are pointing at how the Cannondale is a much better and that you prefer to get it, but your sensible side is pointing to the Felt, because of the perceived value. Getting the Felt will be a compromise for you, but once you start riding you will be looking at other people's Cannondales. Do you want to ride like that?

You want the Cannnondale and you want to be pushed towards that choice

Get the Cannondale! Stop waffling and HTFU already! DO IT!
Old 08-16-11, 10:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Seven999
Any particular reason? Just feels like more bang for the buck?
Spending more bucks on a bike will not make it feel better.
I have a $800 Felt (32,000 miles) a $2500 Cannodale (7,000 miles)

Old 08-16-11, 10:50 AM
surfer777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Z85, and I'm so happy with it. Awesome bike. Great ride, very smooth and enjoyable, plus it is very customizable. If you want to be more upright you can be pretty upright, if you wanna be low you can be low. Looking at the CAAD, it seems like there isn't a huge difference in components. Felt is 105 equipped, FSA crank, carbon fork...its almost like you're paying 500 dollars extra for the same stuff. I'm not very knowledgeable as far as components go so if I am incorrect someone please correct me. But as far as I can tell, you get a better deal with the Z85 because it has the same components for a significant amount less.
Old 08-16-11, 10:51 AM
novacoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every day you wait on your decision means you lose a day of the riding season. Both are good - buy either and get out there
Old 08-16-11, 06:17 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by novacoke
Every day you wait on your decision means you lose a day of the riding season. Both are good - buy either and get out there
This. Go with what feels comfortable to you.
Old 08-16-11, 06:19 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a z85 so Im biased but.... What type of riding are you going to do? The CAAD geometry is set up more for racing and the Z's is more relaxed.
Old 08-16-11, 06:22 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAAD is a better bike. period. get the felt if you want to, you don't have to get the CAAD 10. you will eventually wish you did though, but in the mean time you will probably enjoy the felt.
Old 08-16-11, 06:34 PM
Urban Turkey
yada yada

Bikes: Felt F5, Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those bikes have very different geometries. Which one fits you better? Do you want a more upright position (felt) or a more aggressive position (caad10)?
Old 08-17-11, 10:38 AM
Seven999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this is going to be my first road bike, and after actually coming to understand the difference in geometries (I did some reading after it was mentioned here, big thanks guys) I think am probably going to go with the Felt. I am looking for this for longer rides, and the comfort is probably going to be important for that. If I get into racing, then I know it'll be time to pick up another bike (hopefully at that point I'll have another bunch of money to blow, haha).

That said, I do see some big difference in parts and understand how the CAAD 10 is actually a better bike when it comes to racing.
Old 08-17-11, 11:09 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Get the CAAD in black. Both are pretty much identical bikes other than looks. I had a Z85 and loved it, but the first thing I had to do was replace the white tires, tape, seat and stem. I'd go with the CADD just because it's ready to go as is...unless you like all the Felt white trim.
Old 08-17-11, 11:16 AM
pgjackson

Since this is going to be my first road bike, and after actually coming to understand the difference in geometries (I did some reading after it was mentioned here, big thanks guys) I think am probably going to go with the Felt. I am looking for this for longer rides, and the comfort is probably going to be important for that. If I get into racing, then I know it'll be time to pick up another bike (hopefully at that point I'll have another bunch of money to blow, haha).

That said, I do see some big difference in parts and understand how the CAAD 10 is actually a better bike when it comes to racing.
That is a lot of marketing phooie. Neither bike is better or worse for any style of riding. The whole frame geometry issue has been beaten to death. One bike is not faster or more comfortable than the other because of how the frame is shaped. It's a marketing gimmic. Get the one you can't stop thinking about and enjoy. The more you learn about bikes the more you will realize that the industry is chock full of marketing BS.
Old 08-17-11, 11:35 AM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
That is a lot of marketing phooie. Neither bike is better or worse for any style of riding. The whole frame geometry issue has been beaten to death. One bike is not faster or more comfortable than the other because of how the frame is shaped. It's a marketing gimmic. Get the one you can't stop thinking about and enjoy. The more you learn about bikes the more you will realize that the industry is chock full of marketing BS.
This is not TRUE.

Sure, there is a lot of marketing BS, but frame geometry can make a lot of difference comfort-wise and in how a frame keeps your profile lower and thus faster, Ceteris paribus.
Old 08-17-11, 11:40 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Agree

Old 08-17-11, 12:03 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
You want the CAAD and you know it. Everytime you ride along the MUP and you see another with a CAAD, you WILL be looking at your Felt with disdain
Old 08-17-11, 12:18 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A Felt Z85 is a very capable bike in at least CAT4/5 racing... The bike would not be holding you back...

Which parts make the CAAD faster?

Last edited by joe_5700; 08-17-11 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 12:20 PM
bLu11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The easiest way to figure out which bike you want is to test ride it.

I had the same dilemma as you last March between a Felt Z85 and CAAD9.

I test rode both of them. Even though, the Felt came with the better parts, I just fell in love with the ride of the CAAD9. Components can always be upgraded later.

Remember you will be riding the bike for many miles, the number one thing you will want is a bike you feel comfortable on and want to ride on.
Old 08-17-11, 12:25 PM
dolanp

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CAAD will be a bit lighter I think, perhaps more nimble, possibly stiffer, and has a full carbon crown/steerer which may impact road feel. If you rode both and can't really tell a difference then I would say you can't really go wrong with the Felt. If you rode the CAAD and felt it was awesome, then... well... it might be worth the money.

Proud CAAD 10 owner here, but I never got to ride a Felt.
Old 08-17-11, 12:53 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do have to disagree somewhat. Yes, some of it is marketing, but altering trail, chainstay length wheelbase etc does make a difference. Of course both (yes, I know that there are more than 2) of geometries can be raced and won, but they have a slightly different feel. There is also fit. I can fit any race style geometry and often buy a bike w/o bothering to ride it, but would have a very difficult time making a bike with a tall headtube fit me. It would fit, but I am very flexible and am more comfortable with a ton of saddle to handlebar drop, which I could not match on a roubaix, z series or blah blah.
Old 08-17-11, 01:57 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by eippo1
I do have to disagree somewhat. Yes, some of it is marketing, but altering trail, chainstay length wheelbase etc does make a difference. Of course both (yes, I know that there are more than 2) of geometries can be raced and won, but they have a slightly different feel. There is also fit. I can fit any race style geometry and often buy a bike w/o bothering to ride it, but would have a very difficult time making a bike with a tall headtube fit me. It would fit, but I am very flexible and am more comfortable with a ton of saddle to handlebar drop, which I could not match on a roubaix, z series or blah blah.
I understand...but the idea that this frame is only good for "comfort" and that frame is for racing is false. You can take pretty much any frame, and by adjusting the seat and bars get into the same riding positions. The OP shouldn't be affraid of one bike because of what a marketing ploy is pushing. He'll be more than satisified with either bike.

OP, ride both. Which ever stirs your heart, that is your bike. Don't obsess over trivial differences. They are both great bikes.
Old 08-17-11, 02:57 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long torso = caad
Long leg = z85
Average = either on budget

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.