Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

CrMo Frame then a Full Carbon Fork. Why? (Other than saving weight)

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 02-02-19, 11:42 AM
SuperPershing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For me this is impractical (educate me if im wrong) because why would you use a very light component in a already heavy build, i mean. Will there be a difference? (Other than being light)

and i saw the cinelli vigorelli steel review. It said that it has the right mix of weight that can propel the bike more (i forgot the exact lines). Is there a science behind this? Cause for me it feels wrong
Old 02-02-19, 01:06 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
All high end framesets such as the steel Cinelli Vigorelli, regardless of material, can benefit from a good quality carbon fiber fork. Not only will a good CF be lighter, but it will do a much better job of absorbing road vibrations. Where I ride there is a lot of rough chip seal pavement, and my bikes with good quality full CF forks ride much smoother than my other bikes with steel forks. I have bikes with Aluminum, Titanium, Carbon Fiber and even Steel frames that have full CF forks on them, and they all benefit from their CF forks. Also, this notion that steel frames are heavier than other other materials is only true for cheap steel, especially hi-ten, which use small diameter thickwall straight guage tubing, and is not true for high end frames such as the Cinelli Vigorelli, which uses high strength steel tubing that is butted, large diameter and thin walled.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-02-19, 01:13 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperPershing
For me this is impractical (educate me if im wrong) because why would you use a very light component in a already heavy build, i mean. Will there be a difference? (Other than being light)

and i saw the cinelli vigorelli steel review. It said that it has the right mix of weight that can propel the bike more (i forgot the exact lines). Is there a science behind this? Cause for me it feels wrong
Not all steel bikes are heavy. You can build a steel bike that's quite light. So yes... part of the advantage is it is lighter. Carbon also has a different feel, it dampens vibration to a certain extent.
More weight might take more effort to get up to speed, but the more weight the easier it holds that speed.
Old 02-03-19, 04:50 AM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse
Not all steel bikes are heavy. You can build a steel bike that's quite light. So yes... part of the advantage is it is lighter. Carbon also has a different feel, it dampens vibration to a certain extent.
More weight might take more effort to get up to speed, but the more weight the easier it holds that speed.
more weight is easier to hold speed, I did not realize that. Interesting
Old 02-03-19, 07:34 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
more weight is easier to hold speed, I did not realize that. Interesting
The physics term is “momentum.” Having said that, most of the mass is provided by the rider. Fat people rule !

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-03-19, 09:32 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie

The physics term is “momentum.” Having said that, most of the mass is provided by the rider. Fat people rule !
Nailed it! I just had a flashback to my highschool hippy physics teacher who said something quite similar
Old 02-03-19, 02:42 PM
StirFry

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
I like the mix of carbon and steel for comfort. Their vibration properties compliment each other well.
Old 02-03-19, 06:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Why not? Some people prefer the ride of a steel fork and some don't. I like steel forks on my touring bike for weight carrying capability and durability but on a road bike I much would rather cut some weight and add in the vibration dampening properties of the full carbon fork plus depending on the bike they can look quite fantastic.
Old 02-03-19, 06:23 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
There is no doubt that a carbon fork works well with a steel frame, but you do occasionally hear of folks in the bike industry claiming the best fork is a properly constructed steel one.

The guy who runs SJS Cycles in the UK for instance.
Old 02-03-19, 07:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
All high end framesets such as the steel Cinelli Vigorelli, regardless of material, can benefit from a good quality carbon fiber fork. Not only will a good CF be lighter, but it will do a much better job of absorbing road vibrations. Where I ride there is a lot of rough chip seal pavement, and my bikes with good quality full CF forks ride much smoother than my other bikes with steel forks. I have bikes with Aluminum, Titanium, Carbon Fiber and even Steel frames that have full CF forks on them, and they all benefit from their CF forks. Also, this notion that steel frames are heavier than other other materials is only true for cheap steel, especially hi-ten, which use small diameter thickwall straight guage tubing, and is not true for high end frames such as the Cinelli Vigorelli, which uses high strength steel tubing that is butted, large diameter and thin walled.
I've never owned a carbon fiber fork. Apparently I've been suffering the past 50 years. Glad I didn't know it. When I got my ti bike, it had a steel fork. Discovered early on that seeking out the worst pavement was a blast. (A habit that I have tried to ween myself of to save tires and rims).

A good steel fork can have a sweet ride. That is true now. It was true 80 years ago. I just came back from a ride on a 531 fork. My Raleigh Competition has a 531 fork that is a plush ride even on really bad roads. My Mooney's fork is probably 531. Feel is classic English road. It does just fine (and so do I) on poor pavement. My best bike's fork also might be 531. (The bike I seek the bad pavement on.)

Now, another factor is wheels. Many modern rims are far stiffer vertically than what we used to ride. Wheels are also built now with far fewer spoke crosses than what we used to ride. Both add up to a lot more road shock being transmitted to the fork

Ben
Old 02-03-19, 11:02 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've never owned a carbon fiber fork. Apparently I've been suffering the past 50 years. Glad I didn't know it. When I got my ti bike, it had a steel fork. Discovered early on that seeking out the worst pavement was a blast. (A habit that I have tried to ween myself of to save tires and rims).

A good steel fork can have a sweet ride. That is true now. It was true 80 years ago. I just came back from a ride on a 531 fork. My Raleigh Competition has a 531 fork that is a plush ride even on really bad roads. My Mooney's fork is probably 531. Feel is classic English road. It does just fine (and so do I) on poor pavement. My best bike's fork also might be 531. (The bike I seek the bad pavement on.)

Now, another factor is wheels. Many modern rims are far stiffer vertically than what we used to ride. Wheels are also built now with far fewer spoke crosses than what we used to ride. Both add up to a lot more road shock being transmitted to the fork

Ben
I am looking to build SS CX bike out of an old touring frame (think Bridgestone RB T). Anyone on here know where I can find a carbon fork with canti brakes with 1” steerer (threaded/threadless doesn’t matter)?

Seems like everything out there is “pick any 2”
Old 02-03-19, 11:03 PM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn guys, i want a custom CrMo Crit frame (Cinelli vigorelli steel Geometry) and a carbonium full carbon fork for my crit in the future.
Old 02-04-19, 12:31 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Damn guys, i want a custom CrMo Crit frame (Cinelli vigorelli steel Geometry) and a carbonium full carbon fork for my crit in the future.
do it!!
Old 02-04-19, 07:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Wound up composites can make just about anything you need fork wise. They were willing to make 1" threaded steerer carbon canti fork for 26" wheel at not a ton of cost. I haven't gotten it yet but I might actually consider it this year if money turns out right.
Old 02-04-19, 09:40 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
I just watched this interview with Tom Ritchey, and he had some interesting points about carbon vs steel forks. Skip to the 30min point if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing (you monster).

Old 02-05-19, 01:06 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ignore the ancient thermostat:

Originally Posted by phobus
I just watched this interview with Tom Ritchey, and he had some interesting points about carbon vs steel forks. Skip to the 30min point if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing (you monster).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-gGIqfVB2Y
Super rad interview... Made me run to this stem I’ll probly never use

Last edited by mouse; 02-05-19 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 01:14 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Wound up composites can make just about anything you need fork wise. They were willing to make 1" threaded steerer carbon canti fork for 26" wheel at not a ton of cost. I haven't gotten it yet but I might actually consider it this year if money turns out right.
I have 3 crmo bikes paired with wound up fork

Originally Posted by mouse
Super rad interview... Made me run to this stem I’ll probly never use
If you want to experience the legend, get one of the vintage ritchey road logic road frames hand built by the man himself
Very underrated frame that's still quite in the realm of affordability.

Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 02-05-19, 01:18 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
I have 3 crmo bikes paired with wound up fork

If you want to experience the legend, get one of the vintage ritchey road logic road frames hand built by the man himself
Very underrated frame that's still quite in the realm of affordability.

THAT is a gem and half... for geared bike! 😈

Last edited by mouse; 02-05-19 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 10:40 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

Wound up composites
Wound up ftw!

perfect accompaniment to a steel frame. Still looking for a matching seatpost to make my life complete.
Old 02-06-19, 07:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

They make a different product that is of excellent quality and certainly is quite durable at least from everyone I talk too. When you don't want something standard and boring but want a fantastic product, get wound-up.

I would love to own a Tom brazed frame someday. He is just such an interesting person and knowledgeable as all get up and those old frames were excellent.
Old 02-08-19, 12:22 PM
Bigpond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
I just watched this interview with Tom Ritchey, and he had some interesting points about carbon vs steel forks. Skip to the 30min point if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing (you monster
Thanks for that video! Interesting perspective, no doubt.

Then I took a peek at Ritchey bikes on eBay and was flummoxed by all carbon frames, carbon forks on steel bikes and everything without a 1” threaded steerer.