Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Cocotte Alfredo bag opinions?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Cocotte Alfredo bag opinions?

Old 04-26-10, 09:33 AM
cardboardhut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reviving a dead thread, since when I was researching this bag way back when it was really hard to find good reviews of it.

I couriered with one of these for about 4 months. Personally, I don't really like this bag. It does have good build quality, a comfortable shoulder strap and decent-ish waterproofing. But it's just not that great of a value for the price. If you just want a simple bag for carrying books to class, get a MEC Brenta, which has 3 litres less capacity for $50. Pick up some waterproofing solution at MEC as well, treat the whole bag with that and you're good. If you want to lay down some more cash for something high quality and strong, for $30 more you can get a PAC Street Large, which is better quality and larger.

I ended up upgrading to a PAC Ultimate. The Cocotte feels like a purse when I put it on now. I wonder how I managed to make any money with it. I do remember spending a lot of time in lobbies of office buildings unpacking and carefully re-packing everything in my bag to make it fit.

For any Torontonians here, Shannen at Red Arrow bikes in Kensington Market (19 Kensington Ave, I think) has PAC bags for below MSRP. I think he carries the Street Large. He's also probably the best and fairest mechanic in downtown Toronto.
Old 06-15-19, 03:16 PM
Cocotte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cocotte

Originally Posted by dutret
Does anyone have one of these? A friend is thinking of getting one but we can't find any info about them.
google Cocotte equipment, information is there, web site is there, made in Montreal
Old 06-15-19, 03:19 PM
Cocotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cocotte

Originally Posted by jim-bob
Yeah, you can definitely find better bags for the money.
Dear Jim Bob, maybe tou can find a bag made in China for cheaper. These are made in Montreal with North American materials
Old 06-15-19, 03:37 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Digging up 13 year old bike forum posts to get defensive and tell people to use Google is definitely a good look.
Old 06-15-19, 04:29 PM
Cocotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Digging up 13 year old bike forum posts to get defensive and tell people to use Google is definitely a good look.
Just being helpful not defensive ???
what a bizarre comment?
Old 06-15-19, 10:31 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
You're trying to interact with posts that were made 13 years ago, and I'm being bizarre.
Old 06-17-19, 11:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
You're trying to interact with posts that were made 13 years ago, and I'm being bizarre.
Yes quite bizarre. How dare you question Zombies!
Old 06-19-19, 09:25 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocotte
Just being helpful not defensive ???
what a bizarre comment?
Are you the maker? Or somehow affiliated? Because yeah, interesting approach.
Old 08-08-19, 07:17 AM
andrea29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys seem pretty serious about this. I use a regular tote in which I carry my laptop and class materials.

Last edited by andrea29; 08-08-19 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 08-08-19, 08:32 AM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Love when people put in the effort to zombify old threads, keeps things interesting around here.
Old 08-09-19, 06:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It was worth dredging up this old thread to click on the link and see the wrap around glass grille on the car on their home page.

I think that was a Ford Tempo? Or was a the Mercury version?

-Tim-
Old 08-09-19, 10:43 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I think Mercury Topaz had that grille style. My dad owned one for a few years. Ford Tempo was more of a plain, conventional grille. They were pretty crappy cars, and yet surprisingly popular/good sellers.

In the early '90s I maintained a small fleet of vehicles that included Tempos, Chevy Cavaliers, and a few Volkswagen Golfs. The Cavaliers were the most reliable and generally preferred by our drivers. For the '91 model year, we got a bunch of brand new Toyota Corollas, and they were head and shoulders above all the others in quality. Not as roomy or comfortable as a Tempo and some folks liked the Chevy's styling better, but those were their ONLY disadvantages. If I could have a 1991 model of any of these cars today, I would pick the Toyota without a moment's hesitation.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-09-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 11:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^ Right. The Topaz.

I had a Tempo. Someone backed into it, dented the rear fender and their insurance gave me something like $2600. I never got it fixed but rented a condo is Orlando for a week and took my kids to Disney instead.

The rear main seal eventually went. I was doing demolition on a patio and didn't have a truck so filled the Tempo full of concrete rubble, back seat and trunk, and went back and forth to the county dump. The rear of the car was dragging with the load and the engine bearings going clacka-clacka-clacka the whole way, back and forth. Made six trips I think. I would rev the engine at stop lights and the bearings were super loud.

Then my friend wanted me to bring some aluminum to the dump so I loaded it up. I stopped hard at some point and a long piece slid forward, pierced the windshield and was sticking out like something from Mad Max. We were like, "Holy badword!" The dump was near the junkyards and so we drove it there, got rid of it and called someone to pick us up.

Originally Posted by Broctoon
as roomy or comfortable as a Tempo
Its weird just reading this.

Sig worthy.

-Tim-
Old 08-09-19, 11:47 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
as roomy or comfortable as a Tempo
The first time that phrase has ever been typed or spoken, by me or any other human.