Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2001 Rockshox Fork Recall

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 12:10 PM
enxhi.xhafa1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I recently acquired an older GT Aggressor with a Rockshox Judy TT fork that was apparently recalled in 2001. Anyone know if SRAM (current owner of Rockshox) will still honor recall and what the process is like? I plan on calling their customer service number on Monday when they're open but thought I'd ask here as well. I'm a newbie to this site so I can't post a link or pictures, sorry.
Old 12-06-20, 02:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not a chance.
Old 12-06-20, 09:44 PM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Not a chance.
Thank you, that's very helpful
Likes For enxhi.xhafa1:
Old 12-06-20, 10:14 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by enxhi.xhafa1
Thank you, that's very helpful
What's the problem? You posted a question, I replied...truthfully, honestly. You didn't really think that they'd honor a recall that's 19 years old did you?
Old 12-07-20, 01:32 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
What's the problem? You posted a question, I replied...truthfully, honestly. You didn't really think that they'd honor a recall that's 19 years old did you?
Shimano recently did to a poster who had recalled cranks more than 20 years ago.

If I was him, I'd at least try.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 12-07-20, 07:45 AM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Well yes I did that's why I'm asking about it. As far as I know there's no time limit on recalls. As long as the defective forks are out there someone can potentially injure themselves if it fails and potentially sue the manufacturer because of it. So it would be in SRAM's best interest to take back the defective fork.
Likes For enxhi.xhafa1:
Old 12-07-20, 07:47 AM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Shimano recently did to a poster who had recalled cranks more than 20 years ago.

If I was him, I'd at least try.
I've seen several references of people getting their recalled Shimano cranks replaced and Shimano really hooking them up. Fingers crossed SRAM does the same. I'll be calling their customer service today, will post an update after.
Old 12-07-20, 10:33 AM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Called SRAM, they said they can send a replacement fork of whatever the latest model is but it has to be done through one of their authorized dealers. There's a dealer pretty close to be so I'll be taking in to get the fork replaced. Will update with how it works out in case anyone sees this in the future and has the same question.
Likes For enxhi.xhafa1:
Old 12-07-20, 05:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
So I could find an old mtb in the trash with a recalled Judy TT, take it to a dealer and get a new Recon whatever for it. Not that you are going to get a top of the line front suspension fork, it is for a 26er with a 1-1/8” steerer, but that is crazy.

I would be interested to hear how this works out.

My wife has a 2001 Judy SL on her bike and if that is in the recall, maybe I’ll look into a replacement.

John

Edit Added: Nope. The SL isn't included and the S/N is the wrong sequence.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 12-07-20 at 06:01 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-10-20, 02:42 PM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks, I am pursuing this matter in another venue. I'm trying not to get into bashing the manufacturer. I'm really just focused on what is a comparable fork for a high end bike. A fork that has similar characteristics and isn't undampened or heavy. Are there still replacement forks around that match up with an old School bike. Short stroke dampening with a brake bridge for canti brakes That CADEX was $900 in '93'. The recall said the dealer would replace the defective fork with one that was a $150 value. Seems that would be $250-300 these days. That link made some good points. One is the recall doesn't expire-true. The goal of the recall is to get the dangerous component off the streets-true. Those are features of a safety recall.
Likes For merlinrkd:
Old 12-10-20, 06:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
No dice on the brakes, but a Manitou Markhor is available in 26er with a straight steerer.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-10-20, 07:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Since it is a Rockshox, the best you can do is see if the dealer can find a 30 Gold with a 1-1/8” steerer and 80mm of travel. They were available a couple years ago. 80mm is longer than your current travel (46mm or 63mm) but I’m running longer forks on my old mtb’s. You’ll never find anything current at less than 80mm and even that is getting tough.

If you can get one, you will need to set up the front with a disc brake, but you can re-lace your front rim to a disc hub, (maybe you can use a road/gravel hub but I’m not sure) if you want and run a road mechanical disc in the front. I think you can use your cantilever levers with the road disc caliper in front at canti’s in the back.

My weapon of choice has been old Bomber forks, and I need to find out what seals are still available. Bombers aren’t the lightest but they seem to hold up. I wouldn’t do any serious drops or jumps with them. They are getting tougher to find.

John
Old 12-11-20, 03:22 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Since it is a Rockshox, the best you can do is see if the dealer can find a 30 Gold with a 1-1/8” steerer and 80mm of travel. They were available a couple years ago. 80mm is longer than your current travel (46mm or 63mm) but I’m running longer forks on my old mtb’s. You’ll never find anything current at less than 80mm and even that is getting tough.

If you can get one, you will need to set up the front with a disc brake, but you can re-lace your front rim to a disc hub, (maybe you can use a road/gravel hub but I’m not sure) if you want and run a road mechanical disc in the front. I think you can use your cantilever levers with the road disc caliper in front at canti’s in the back.

My weapon of choice has been old Bomber forks, and I need to find out what seals are still available. Bombers aren’t the lightest but they seem to hold up. I wouldn’t do any serious drops or jumps with them. They are getting tougher to find.

John
The Judy TT was either 80 or 100mm if I remember correctly.

I had one and it was 80mm.
Old 12-11-20, 08:51 AM
70sSanO

This thread has morphed between a 2001 GT and 1993 Cadex. The 2001 is probably a 100mm, and yes a 2001 Judy TT could also be 80mm.

A 1993 Rockshox can’t be 80mm or 100mm. My response above was for the 1993 Cadex, although it does apply to the GT, except the brakes are linear/v-brakes, and not cantilever, so the levers have a different cable pull.

I would guess there are mechanical disc calipers that will work with linear levers. I only bring up mechanical as I don’t know how well a hydraulic disc front/mechanical linear brake rear would feel in practice.

John
Old 12-18-20, 12:07 PM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The dealer I took it called SRAM and they are sending a new fork to replace it. The guy at the shop who called didn't ask what the replacement is. It should arrive in a few days so I'll let everyone know. They would charge for the labor to replace the fork but I asked them if I could just take it and install it myself and they were fine with it. I'll post another update when the fork comes in. I was talking about this with a friend and he brought up a good point - it's possible SRAM has a stock of new old forks specifically for this type of thing. Idk if that's true but I'll find out soon I guess!
Likes For enxhi.xhafa1:
Old 12-18-20, 12:14 PM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I still can't post links but if you Google '2001 Rockshox Fork recall' one of the first results will be a cpsc.org site that has all the info.

This is from that page:

"Only 2001 Judy TT, Judy TT Special, Jett and Metro model RockShox front suspension bicycle forks are included in this recall. They have serial numbers beginning with "01." "
Old 12-18-20, 12:17 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The dealer I took it called SRAM and they are sending a new fork to replace it. The guy at the shop who called didn't ask what the replacement is. It should arrive in a few days so I'll let everyone know. They would charge for the labor to replace the fork but I asked them if I could just take it and install it myself and they were fine with it. I'll post another update when the fork comes in. I was talking about this with a friend and he brought up a good point - it's possible SRAM has a stock of new old forks specifically for this type of thing. Idk if that's true but I'll find out soon I guess!
That's remarkable. Congratulations.

I would make a point of spending some money on something at that shop.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-18-20, 12:17 PM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinrkd
Thanks, I am pursuing this matter in another venue. I'm trying not to get into bashing the manufacturer. I'm really just focused on what is a comparable fork for a high end bike. A fork that has similar characteristics and isn't undampened or heavy. Are there still replacement forks around that match up with an old School bike. Short stroke dampening with a brake bridge for canti brakes That CADEX was $900 in '93'. The recall said the dealer would replace the defective fork with one that was a $150 value. Seems that would be $250-300 these days. That link made some good points. One is the recall doesn't expire-true. The goal of the recall is to get the dangerous component off the streets-true. Those are features of a safety recall.
Are you trying to get a recalled fork replaced as well?? Which one?
Old 12-18-20, 12:32 PM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
That's remarkable. Congratulations.

I would make a point of spending some money on something at that shop.
I buy stuff from them all the time! Will be doing it even more now.
Likes For enxhi.xhafa1:
Old 12-18-20, 08:51 PM
70sSanO

That is great news.

I’d be interested to know what fork will arrive. Especially since it is a 1-1/8” steerer with rim brakes.

You might consider having the shop install it. It helps the shop and it is an unknown replacement for a 20 year old fork. Might be wise to let them tackle the issues.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-19-20, 01:39 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The Shimano crank replacement discussed a few weeks ago included additional parts (bottom bracket, chain, and FD) to bring the bike up to date enough to use the modern replacement crank. I'm really curious now if it will be something like that or if it will be some new-very-old-stock

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...l-success.html
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-22-20, 02:49 PM
cxwrench

I'm stunned they are replacing it, great news!
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-31-20, 10:42 AM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
UPDATE!

The fork came in but I'm out of town right now so I'll be picking it up when I get back. The guy on the phone couldn't find a model name but read out what he saw on the packaging: "TK" "coil" "100mm" "26". Based on that I think it is the Rockshox 30 silver TK model. It has mounts for caliper and disc brakes.

Also the shop I took it too is REI so I don't feel as bad about not giving them the business as I would a mom and pop shop. I'm doing this on behalf of a nonprofit I volunteer for so one of the other volunteers who's done this type of thing before will be replacing it. If it was for me I'd have REI replace it so I don't have to deal with the hassle, they'd only charge $45 for it. If I can leave the shop employee who sorted this whole thing a tip I will do that. Or put in a good word with their manager or something (but I think he might be the manager).
Likes For enxhi.xhafa1:
Old 12-31-20, 10:46 AM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Or maybe I will get an assortment of mini bundt cakes for everyone. There's a 'Nothing Bundt Cakes' in the same plaza.
Old 01-03-21, 11:39 AM
enxhi.xhafa1

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I got the fork whoo-hoo!!!
Edit: And I can finally post pictures yay!!

Likes For enxhi.xhafa1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.