Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

WTB Riddler TCS Light/Fast Rolling 700 x 37C

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 08:04 AM
bretton007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Cervelo Aspero gravel bike and I am looking for one tire for pavement an light gravel sometimes a little loose gravel as well

Would this tire be suitable . If so great , if not can anyone recommend something in the 38 -40cc range that would be good for both
Old 01-14-21, 08:15 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bretton007
I have a Cervelo Aspero gravel bike and I am looking for one tire for pavement an light gravel sometimes a little loose gravel as well

Would this tire be suitable . If so great , if not can anyone recommend something in the 38 -40cc range that would be good for both
I have them in 45, and I know that makes a huge difference but I do not see this tread as fast rolling. Maybe someone here has had a good experience with it.

Look into Schwalbe G One allround 38 or Maxxis Rambler 40.

Others here will have plenty of suggestions. If you don't need traction you could look into something like a 38 slick. I played around on gravel with 26' WTB Thickslicks on an old MTB and had a great time. It was fun. Not that you want Thickslicks.
Old 01-14-21, 08:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
For the terrain you've described, you really don't need knobs of any sort. I suggest you look at a smooth tire in that size range, such as this one.
Old 01-14-21, 08:49 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
They came stock on my Cannondale and I put maybe 2500 miles on them before they went shot. They ended up developing bubbles on the tire. I used them for probably 70% gravel and 30% pavement, but I did some big pavement rides on them. The slight knobbies on the center treads wore smooth probably within 700 miles.

They were fairly quick on pavement after the knobbies wore out, and I did slip a bit more on gravel but it was nice to have the side lugs still in place.

Honestly I'd go for gravel king slicks. Right now I'm riding 95% gravel on gravel king sk, in a 38mm. They're great for rural gravel that I ride, but slow on pavement. This spring I will probably switch to gravel king SS in 38mm. It has a smooth tread but keeps the side lugs.

Another option would be Continentals Terra trail or speed; also Rene Hearse steilacoom. Both those tires have good tread and speed.

Last edited by GrainBrain; 01-14-21 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-14-21, 09:52 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
They came stock on my Cannondale and I put maybe 2500 miles on them before they went shot. They ended up developing bubbles on the tire. I used them for probably 70% gravel and 30% pavement, but I did some big pavement rides on them. The slight knobbies on the center treads wore smooth probably within 700 miles.

They were fairly quick on pavement after the knobbies wore out, and I did slip a bit more on gravel but it was nice to have the side lugs still in place.

Honestly I'd go for gravel king slicks. Right now I'm riding 95% gravel on gravel king sk, in a 38mm. They're great for rural gravel that I ride, but slow on pavement. This spring I will probably switch to gravel king SS in 38mm. It has a smooth tread but keeps the side lugs.

Another option would be Continentals Terra trail or speed; also Rene Hearse steilacoom. Both those tires have good tread and speed.
I'd recommend something other than SS's, they aren't particularly quick rolling tires. If your gravel is pretty tame then the Terra Speeds are a much better option.
Old 01-14-21, 11:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Maybe I have managed to always have the wind at my back, but my 43mm Panaracer GravelKing SS tires roll great. They arent the + version, they are the lighter version.

The GK SK is consistently rated well in rolling resistance tests, and the SS has less tread and is made with the same compound, so it should roll better.
The Conti Terra Speed and CompassRH tires are also consistently highly rated too.
Old 01-14-21, 03:04 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I would start with Panaracer Gravel King slicks and if you need a slight knobby try the Conti Terra Speed as mentioned above. I have and like both.
Old 01-14-21, 04:36 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
+1 for Gravelking SS. They are slightly more pavement oriented than WTB Riddlers. But Riddlers are better in dirt.
Old 01-15-21, 11:12 AM
Cyclist0114

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also +1 to Gravelking SS. Very fast, much smoother than WTB Riddlers.
Old 01-15-21, 04:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
I’m wondering: are Gravelkings so popular because they’re so widely available, or are they so widely available because they’re that good?
Old 01-15-21, 05:00 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I’m wondering: are Gravelkings so popular because they’re so widely available, or are they so widely available because they’re that good?
Probably a little bit of both. Same for anything really.
Old 01-17-21, 10:45 AM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
I tried the 37 Riddlers and didn’t like them. Not enough volume. Using 40 Maxxis Ramblers. Where I ride the gravel can be very fast and rough (braking bumps from cars) and I wouldn’t want less volume or traction than the Rambler coming down a gravel hill at 35mph and hitting some good bumps. They are also light for what they are and I think they roll very well on pavement for the knobs.
Old 01-17-21, 11:59 AM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
The 700x38 Specialized Pathfinder Pro is another tire you should definitely be considering for the type of riding described. Rolls as fast as a road tire on the road, while still being a very capable tire for dry off-road conditions.
Old 01-18-21, 04:48 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
This summer I scored a PR on a big paved climb on 38mm Gravelking SK, on my way to some gravel. Not a bump, a 2.5 mile mountain ascent.

I was pretty surprised since I take a very fast road bike up that pass frequently.
Likes For rosefarts: