Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Not a scooby about bikes. Help. Please

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 04-14-21, 08:24 AM
Jmbrown415

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

Not sure that this is the correct place for this, so I apologise profusely if not!

I recently purchased a tesla to help reduce my footprint on planet earth and I am now looking for some advice on purchasing a bike as the discounts are great on cycle2schemes and I will be using this to commute ( to get somewhat fitter )

My commute is around 19 miles and it varies a tad. I will be commuting from Epping and where I live is rather in the ‘sticks’ so a bit hilly but not too horrific all the way to NW19 ( Highgate area ).

I am looking for an electric/electric assist bike, ideally with at least 35/40 miles of range. I have looked at the cowboy 3 which appeals, especially as the battery is removable. Any other decent bikes that you know of? My one worry with the cowboy 3 is I understand it only has 1 gear so going uphill is quite difficult and the electric assist is not as good going up very steep gradients. I am 27, male and around 188cm in height.

My budget is around the 2/3k mark so ideally, I don’t really want to spend too much over this.
Old 04-14-21, 03:13 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12179 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,103 Posts
If you can't recharge at work, you may need a second battery. They are very expensive.

If you have hills, you want gears.

Cheap ebikes come with a ton of compromises. Compromises that can let you down on that long ride to work.
Old 04-14-21, 03:37 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by late
If you can't recharge at work, you may need a second battery. They are very expensive.

If you have hills, you want gears.

Cheap ebikes come with a ton of compromises. Compromises that can let you down on that long ride to work.
You know of this Cowboy 3 bike the o.p. is talking about? I agree with you, of course. Batteries are actually cheap and getting cheaper. I think E-bikers are being ripped off. Tesla batteries that cost $20,000 ten years ago are $1000 now but e-bike batteries have stayed the same. I'm not sure why a new Tesla owner would consider anything less than a Trek or other front line make for a 19mi commute. Aventon and Juiced Bikes are the budget go to's in my casual research.
Edit: Don't know what it costs but a look at the CB3 website answers some questions. I don't think it is cheap as much as unsuitable for the o.p.'s stated purpose. It's Hipster profile won't cut the mustard as the miles rack up. Practical shortlist: Raleigh Redux IE; Giant Quick E+; Trek Anything (Verve, Allant). Batch E-Commuter.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 04-14-21 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-14-21, 04:12 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Definitely not a SS for hills. Probably you would receive more assistance at pedelecs.co.uk since many here may not know what's available for you. If it's hilly, a mid-drive would be the best consideration.
Old 04-14-21, 06:46 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12179 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm

You know of this Cowboy 3 bike the o.p. is talking about?

I agree with you, of course. Batteries are actually cheap and getting cheaper. I think E-bikers are being ripped off.

Tesla batteries that cost $20,000 ten years ago are $1000 now but e-bike batteries have stayed the same.

I'm not sure why a new Tesla owner would consider anything less than a Trek or other front line make for a 19mi commute. Aventon and Juiced Bikes are the budget go to's in my casual research.

Never heard of it.

I don't know anything about that, either, but that surprises me not at all. I'm hoping the price does eventually come down, because the battery I have has 3 years on it, and I'm not looking forward to replacing it. At that cost, a new bike would make more sense, in my situation.

Yeah, that was also my thought. Ideally one that comes with 2 batteries standard.
Old 04-14-21, 06:59 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
$2/3k is a good budget for a hub motor kit. with battery.
You probably will not enjoy riding a $667 e-bike.
Old 04-16-21, 08:34 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
A 19 mile each way commute is a pretty significant commute. Especially if it gets cold where you are since cold affects battery range. I would want a nice bike, highly reliable bike for that.

$2k is more than you need for a top end mid drive kit and battery. Put that on a used touring or mountain bike and you are set. Use the left over money for racks and paniers.

If you want a ready built bike you will need to do some research. So many options now. Biggest problem is finding one to test ride. It can also be very difficult to sift through the biases and opinions of people who have never seen the particular bike you are considering.
Old 04-16-21, 08:45 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Tesla batteries that cost $20,000 ten years ago are $1000 now but e-bike batteries have stayed the same.
I've never owned a Tesla but regularly think about buying a used battery for different reasons (like off grid RV). Your $1000 estimate made me spend 30 seconds on google search

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/38915/...3-battery-pack

The article, from this year, claim Tesla's invoice price for a remanufactured battery is $13.5k.

One would think battery prices will come down as automakers shift to electric cars. But from what I can tell no one is putting effort into recycling dead batteries. Have to wonder if at some point cars will have a disposal tax levied for each unit, not to mention environmental restrictions on strip mining lithium for billions of batteries a year. Think there will be a limit once the laws catch up to the true costs of lithium batteries.

Hope you are right though, would love to pick up a Tesla sized battery for a grand.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 04-16-21 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-16-21, 09:30 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
This isn't the article I read but it does indicate the trend. The article I read was more about the prices companies like Tesla are paying per cell which is like $0.07 when they were once $1.70. Don't hold me to those numbers. I should have multiplied the numbers on both sides of my example by 10. I'm not a numbers guy. I'm a big picture guy. I guess both carmakers and e-bike makers are keeping the profits from the decline in the raw price of the cells for themselves. My e-bike battery cost $575 and the smart charger was $75. I'll be happy to get a few years out of it.
Old 04-16-21, 10:15 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
$2/3k is a good budget for a hub motor kit. with battery.
You probably will not enjoy riding a $667 e-bike.
For a front hub wheel kit, I picked up the 36v Class 2 HillTopper 250watt for $549, everything included: full wheel with tire, wiring harness, and battery. And it handles the Denver hills on my commute easily. I do have to recharge after each leg of the 15 mile commute.
Old 04-16-21, 10:15 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
If you don't charge above 80% and don't let get below 20%, you'll probably get at least five good years (AIR, Tesla guarantees for eight with their system which has this characteristic built in). I got five good years from a 52V, 10 ah battery, then gave it away while it still functioned well.