Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2x - 1 Derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 06:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
That was it! Must have been a Bendix then. I was too poor to have one back then so I was on a single speed. Who knew I was a cool single speeder before it was so fashionable!
Looking at some images just now, I think it was three stripes for the two speed coaster brake hub. Maybe the Bendix single speed had two stripes. Anyway, distinguishing the two speed by the stripes on the hub were the first bike bling I was aware of! It started at an early age, I think I was 10 or so when I figured that out. It was my 12th birthday in 1965 that I got the two-speed Bendix on a red and white Columbia (if I remember right) with a push button bell on the "tank" (top tube tank looking thing). Man that was a sweet bike. Had a lot of fun with it jumping on ramps made up of boards set up on concrete blocks, bombing up and down piles of dirt at construction sites, playing polo with croquet mallets, playing "fender tag", cards in the spokes, and just the freedom to buzz around. Left a lot of skin on the pavement. We had a decent hill going into our neighborhood and some hills in the rideable area, so that low gear was nice. I remember that I upgraded to a banana seat and high rise handlebars I found at a flea market a couple years later, envying the Stingray sort of bike. I guess that would be considered bike bling too? I have no memory of what happened to that bike, although I wonder what I rode on a bicycle date I remember having with a girl at age 15 or 16? Surely not a bike modified with a banana seat and chopper style handlebars! Must have borrowed my dad's? My younger sister (3 years younger) still has her white and pink Schwinn she got at that age, probably around 1968.

EDIT: could have been this one, although I thought it had chrome fenders. Just imagine how nice it looked with a banana seat and chopper handlebars! You can see the pushbutton bell on the drive side of the tank.

To get this back on topic: oh yes we rode our fat tired bikes everywhere: pavement, gravel, dirt, lawns, farmer's fields, you name it. "All Road" for sure.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-12-21 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-12-21, 10:15 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
So do all of us. It's actually getting to the point that if the group is big enough and the ride long enough, there is almost a 100% chance someone will drop their chain.
If it was that common, why is it so popular especially in pro level XC and CX racing?
Old 04-13-21, 07:00 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
If it was that common, why is it so popular especially in pro level XC and CX racing?
My guess is tighter ranges and perfect gear.
Old 04-13-21, 09:35 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

What do you mean "tighter ranges?" They ride generally the same stuff we can get our hands on (though Van Aert did ride a 2x DA9100 crank with a "pro-only" 46-39 chain set in the 2019 Worlds) and it is maintained meticulously, and they ride those races in some supremely crappy conditions. I'm not sure they replace the drivetrain every race, but I'm sure they replace more frequently than we do, maybe a pro mech can weigh in? Regardless, I gotta say...you're the first person I've ever heard make the claim that 1x drops at the frequency you claim, and this is going back to the early days when it was all "mullets". I don't doubt your experience, but I don't think it is equipment related, if I was guessing.
Old 04-13-21, 12:15 PM
shoota 

What do you mean "tighter ranges?" They ride generally the same stuff we can get our hands on (though Van Aert did ride a 2x DA9100 crank with a "pro-only" 46-39 chain set in the 2019 Worlds) and it is maintained meticulously, and they ride those races in some supremely crappy conditions. I'm not sure they replace the drivetrain every race, but I'm sure they replace more frequently than we do, maybe a pro mech can weigh in? Regardless, I gotta say...you're the first person I've ever heard make the claim that 1x drops at the frequency you claim, and this is going back to the early days when it was all "mullets". I don't doubt your experience, but I don't think it is equipment related, if I was guessing.
Tighter ranges: 11-28, 11-32, etc. Instead of the more common gravel range of 11-42, much bigger jumps.

I think it's mostly terrain related, and stretched chains (even though I will say it doesn't take much chain stretch, probably still within "normal" tolerances). It doesn't appear to matter if it's 1X Shimano mechanical, di2, etap, Apex, etc. They all drop at some point.
Old 04-13-21, 12:28 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Looking at some images just now, I think it was three stripes for the two speed coaster brake hub. Maybe the Bendix single speed had two stripes. Anyway, distinguishing the two speed by the stripes on the hub were the first bike bling I was aware of! It started at an early age, I think I was 10 or so when I figured that out. It was my 12th birthday in 1965 that I got the two-speed Bendix on a red and white Columbia (if I remember right) with a push button bell on the "tank" (top tube tank looking thing). Man that was a sweet bike. Had a lot of fun with it jumping on ramps made up of boards set up on concrete blocks, bombing up and down piles of dirt at construction sites, playing polo with croquet mallets, playing "fender tag", cards in the spokes, and just the freedom to buzz around. Left a lot of skin on the pavement. We had a decent hill going into our neighborhood and some hills in the rideable area, so that low gear was nice. I remember that I upgraded to a banana seat and high rise handlebars I found at a flea market a couple years later, envying the Stingray sort of bike. I guess that would be considered bike bling too? I have no memory of what happened to that bike, although I wonder what I rode on a bicycle date I remember having with a girl at age 15 or 16? Surely not a bike modified with a banana seat and chopper style handlebars! Must have borrowed my dad's? My younger sister (3 years younger) still has her white and pink Schwinn she got at that age, probably around 1968.

EDIT: could have been this one, although I thought it had chrome fenders. Just imagine how nice it looked with a banana seat and chopper handlebars! You can see the pushbutton bell on the drive side of the tank.

To get this back on topic: oh yes we rode our fat tired bikes everywhere: pavement, gravel, dirt, lawns, farmer's fields, you name it. "All Road" for sure.

Nice! Did you have your technique down so you could jam on the horn button with your knee! It is a shame kids now have little interest in the freedom of a bike... My friend's bike with the Bendix was pretty beaten up so must have been on the third kid or so after it was new like this one. It seemed weird to me to 'hit the brakes' to shift, but in actual practice it worked pretty well.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 04-13-21, 12:36 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Tighter ranges: 11-28, 11-32, etc. Instead of the more common gravel range of 11-42, much bigger jumps.

Most popular gearing for CX racing seems to be 40T with an 11-32. There’s obviously some variance, some run 42T chainrings, and few run 11-34, and yes it is course dependent, but UCI rules on CX courses are pretty specific so the variance between them isn’t dramatic. XC racers tend to run 36T or 38T chainrings with the big range cassettes.

I think you’re missing what I am saying. I am not doubting they drop. I am doubting they drop at the frequency you first were suggesting...if they were, no one would use them.
Old 04-13-21, 12:40 PM
shoota 

Most popular gearing for CX racing seems to be 40T with an 11-32. There’s obviously some variance, some run 42T chainrings, and few run 11-34, and yes it is course dependent, but UCI rules on CX courses are pretty specific so the variance between them isn’t dramatic. XC racers tend to run 36T or 38T chainrings with the big range cassettes.

I think you’re missing what I am saying. I am not doubting they drop. I am doubting they drop at the frequency you first were suggesting...if they were, no one would use them.
I'm not missing what you're saying. I just have no concrete explanation of why it happens to us here more than it appears to elsewhere. But even once or twice a month is pretty frustrating. Since I've switched back to 2X 5-6 months ago I haven't had a single issue.

And, yes, a lot of us are going back to 2X.
Old 04-13-21, 02:16 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

I'm not against it...I wouldn't imagine riding a road bike without it. And, frankly, there are days (like today) where I'd have been much happier on a 46-36 mated to an 11-32. But, it's got nothing to do with a dropped chain.
Old 04-13-21, 07:43 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

There are several low profile single ring chain keepers available out there... I'm just sayin...
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 04-14-21, 07:38 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by dwmckee
There are several low profile single ring chain keepers available out there... I'm just sayin...
Everyone is too vain to use one. I mean it kinda defeats the point of 1X doesn't it? Just use a fd at that point, and gain range and tighter jumps in the process.
Old 04-14-21, 08:07 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

So your problems with 1x are related how you choose to set it up and maintain it? C'mon man. Poorly maintained, abused, and worn out 2x components drop chains too. No one is running around screaming we need to go back to triples. Also, 1x is a specific solution for specific types of riding, it is not a replacement for 2x. But, you knew that.
Old 04-14-21, 09:53 AM
shoota 

So your problems with 1x are related how you choose to set it up and maintain it? C'mon man. Poorly maintained, abused, and worn out 2x components drop chains too. No one is running around screaming we need to go back to triples. Also, 1x is a specific solution for specific types of riding, it is not a replacement for 2x. But, you knew that.
Don't get angry, I still have 1X bikes, I just prefer 2X for my main ride. And I'd disagree, I think 1X is definitely being marketed as a replacement for 2X.
Sure, 2X can have problems but they take waaay less maintenance than a 1X drivetrain in my experience. Less maintenance, less money, less frustration.
Old 04-14-21, 10:44 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Don't get angry, I still have 1X bikes, I just prefer 2X for my main ride. And I'd disagree, I think 1X is definitely being marketed as a replacement for 2X.
Sure, 2X can have problems but they take waaay less maintenance than a 1X drivetrain in my experience. Less maintenance, less money, less frustration.
I have seen the same things local here. I have had the issue myself. your group is not alone.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 04-14-21, 03:46 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

I'm not angry. I just find some of your statements silly. Actually, all of them. You showed up to poo poo 1x, I guess, and didn't bother to actually consider that your preconceived notions aren't shared. So let me say these two things:

- 1x is not a replacement for 2x. It does work better in specific situations.
- 2x is no less prone to issues than 1x. Maintenance and staying within the design specs are the key here.
Old 04-14-21, 03:51 PM
shoota 

I'm not angry. I just find some of your statements silly. Actually, all of them. You showed up to poo poo 1x, I guess, and didn't bother to actually consider that your preconceived notions aren't shared. So let me say these two things:

- 1x is not a replacement for 2x. It does work better in specific situations.
- 2x is no less prone to issues than 1x. Maintenance and staying within the design specs are the key here.
I think this is where we part ways and agree to disagree. No hard feelings
Old 04-16-21, 07:41 PM
dwmckee

As far as 1x chain drops, we rarely have customers come in with that complaint. With one exception. There was a certain model and year bike that we sold a few years ago that had an 'unconventional' 1x chainline that was set up such that in certain gear combinations if you pedaled backwards a half strolke the chain would consistenty derail. That was a setup problem however unique to that bike. Other than that we just do not see 1x as much of a chain drop problem.
Likes For dwmckee: