Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

DJI OSMO Action Cameras? Looking for users who commute with cams

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-21, 07:56 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

1. i hate this new site format. Its horrible. Is there a way to switch it back to non-garbage mode?
2. Does anyone use the DJI OSMO Action action camera while riding.

I am looking at this camera because it seems extremely affordable. I dont really drink a bunch of energy drinks, say bro or "sick" or any of that "extreme" nonsense and i surely dont take selfies and pretend im more important that everyone else to where i need my own "channel". I am just looking for something to record while i ride in case i get hit and need the footage. More of a commuter thing. ALso...its kind of fun to watch your routes during the winter months on the trainer according to me.

Anyway....this cam uses a standard go pro mount and that mounting system is confusing. I want to run this camera upside down on my bars hanging under them so its not this big stupid thing in the way all the time.

IM looking to find out if anyone is running one and what your thoughts are on it.

is it easy to remove once you get to your destination? It doesnt have a quick release or even a 1/4-20 hole.......just a standard GP mount and a sleeve for a shell. Id like to find a quick release way to remove it from the bike without having to unscrew at the mount hinge or remove the entire mount from the bars ever single time i want to lock up.
Old 04-17-21, 09:22 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Old 04-17-21, 11:04 AM
scale

Thanks. Seems to be alot of blabbing about nothing in this one although......he does recommend the camera after 17 minutes of blathering on about nothing. I wish he would have shown mounting options etc. if he recommends it for racing and seems concerned with aero drag on his action camera....lol....he should at least show it mounted. Weird.

Other than that....it helped me make up my mind further to probably go with the DJI.
Old 04-17-21, 11:07 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I've got it and used it on my road bike. It does a nice job of controlling the jiggles of rough pavement. I've not investigated any quick release adapters for it, if there are any. It merely takes unscrewing the "screw" which connects its mounting bracket to whatever you have on your handlebars and pulling it away. Depending on what adapters you get, the "screw" can be a four-sided plastic knob or possibly a wingnut/butterfly screw. There can be a bit of fiddling to align the holes to insert and tighten the screw. I've found some of the pieces can be tighter or looser to mesh with one another - that is the interlocking go-pro type of parts. But it really is not a problem.

I have it on one of those add on bars below the actual handlebar like this: https://www.amazon.com/TOMALL-Handle.../dp/B07TFT7PR1.

The only real issue I've had is that it can sometimes be hard to tighten so that the camera does not start rotating downward as you bounce along the road.

The other thing is that it videos in chucks of about 4gigs or 5-6 minutes, depending on quality. The chunks are generally continuous with no or almost no gaps. I've recorded about an hour or more on occasion. You might also have to change battery on longer rides.

A small video of it in action. You can see the brake/shifter jiggling while the video is pretty smooth.

I have not managed to edit a 22 mile, two hour ride into something presentable!!

As far as video a commute in case of accident - would you have it face forward or backward. Having been hit by a pickup truck from the rear, a front view would have been useless!!!! Stay safe

Added a picture. I use that base when hiking and wrap my fingers around it. Where the "fingers" interlock can be tight. And the screw has to slide into the matching holes.

Last edited by kahn; 04-17-21 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-17-21, 11:39 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I one as well. no videos to show yet on it (none uploaded) Its a great little camera. I have their stabilization called "Rock steady" on and it is just that, very steady. I have it with a K-Edge aluminum handlebar mount, placed under my cycling computer. I have it set to 1080 @ 30fps, which gives very good clips. I had it set at 1080 @ 60k and well the file sizes lol they were a bit much. I have not tried 4k, maybe for one of my mountain descents later this year. Each battery tends to last me 1.5 hours of riding time, but you can get a 3 pack of batteries with charger for about 30 bucks. So when it runs out, I do a quick swap and away I go. I really like it. DJI is well known for their drones, so it is not a no-name company.
Old 04-17-21, 12:25 PM
scale

Hey...thanks all. Good stuff here. I will look into the kedge style mounts as well.
Old 04-17-21, 01:50 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
If you looked in the electronics and gadget forum. You will find this thread.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...es-mounts.html
It has 3D mounts for action cameras and other bike item mounts. The DJI Osmo can be mounted with GoPro mounts. The current GoPro has a issue with shutting down and not work. One of my cycling buddy’s has yet to get a full ride recorded with it. As it over heats and shuts down.
Old 04-17-21, 03:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
What new site format? The site has been like this for a long time. Y'all gotta come around more often if you are just noticing a change!

I don't ride with action cams. I don't really do anything nearly exciting enough to ride with one but have fun with it. I have considered the Fly6 camera just to get footage of crap drivers but I have jumped on one yet but I might.
Old 04-17-21, 04:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have considered the Fly6 camera just to get footage of crap drivers but I have jumped on one yet but I might.
The main reason to have it, if only one reason were needed. The typical & frequent question you'd likely receive by someone you know that doesn't "ride" is the inquiry for "seeing where you ride?!?!?!!" Not out there riding with a video camera to randomly capture "entertainment" moments for people. It's for my personal protection. Boyyy do they get irritated when they're told that, & without any sugarcoating words. Had a distant friend suggest a few times "You should set up a live feed!" They obviously do not understand how that works, nor have any logical commonsense. Glad to keep the distance with them.