Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

FSA Crankset

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 04:59 PM
Ti-Carbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FSA Crankset

I have an older SE-Lager frame with a "what I presume" is the stock Crankset. It's an FSA CK-400A with 130BCD, 170MM crank arms, and a 44 tooth chainring. I believe that the the 44 tooth chainring is out of round. I've tried the Sheldon Brown chain tension method with little success. I ride it daily and while it hasn't popped the chain off, it bothers me. I'd like to get a better chainring first, and see if it is any better. I guess it could be the crank arm as well, but I'd like to try the least expensive route first. I run a 17 tooth cog in the rear, and I like the gearing where it is at.

Any suggestions on a quality 44T chainring would be appreciated.

The offending chainring...

Here is a pic of my bike...
Old 10-01-18, 06:16 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Why do you think its out of round?
Old 10-01-18, 06:20 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Depends on what you consider ‘top quality’ and what you’re willing to spend. Your issue is going to be availability, because you’re using a 130bcd crank. Not a lot of rings being manufactured for 130 that are designed for fixed/ss use. The first that comes to mind would be the Sugino messenger and the All-City 314 messenger. Both come in 130bcd 44t. The sugino is likely more expensive, but not necessarily better.

If you think somethings out of whack, you should probably replace the crankset and bottom bracket as well. I would be willing to bet that’s more likely where your problem is anyway.
Old 10-01-18, 06:26 PM
Ti-Carbo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
Why do you think its out of round?
I think it's out of round since I cannot get even chain tension while cycling the pedals 360 degrees (does this make sense?)
Old 10-01-18, 06:31 PM
Ti-Carbo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
If you think somethings out of whack, you should probably replace the crankset and bottom bracket as well. I would be willing to bet that’s more likely where your problem is anyway.
i think your correct but was hoping to try a chainring first. I did Google the model of the the current crankset and it seems it is was entry level crankset. The frame / bike is a 2010 I believe. I traded my son for it a few years back, and I honestly don't remember much of the details. I'll check out the Sugino messenger and the All-City 314 messenger. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-01-18, 06:56 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
depends on how much you're willing to spend but it's usually more economical to buy a mid-range new crank set with chainring, then just the chainring by itself.

and I agree that unless you spring for a whole new crank set there's a chance you can still have the issue of inconsistent chain tension, which I know you said bugs you but it's really not a big deal.
Old 10-01-18, 07:22 PM
Ti-Carbo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hardboiled718
depends on how much you're willing to spend but it's usually more economical to buy a mid-range new crank set with chainring, then just the chainring by itself.

and I agree that unless you spring for a whole new crank set there's a chance you can still have the issue of inconsistent chain tension, which I know you said bugs you but it's really not a big deal.
Agreed. It is kind of like a fly in the house you can't dispatch. It's not really affecting anything, but you know it's there and you want it gone.
Old 10-01-18, 07:25 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
You can easily check if it's the chainring or crank that's out of round. Hold a straight-edge or something against the seat tube, parallel to the ground, so that it sits just above the chainring. Spin it around by hand. If the gap between the straight-edge and teeth changes as it turns, it's not round. At that point you can remove the ring, and repeat the test against the crank itself, to see if the five holes are

I'd do this before spending any money at all, since the problem could be the ring, the crank, both, or something else entirely.
Old 10-01-18, 07:27 PM
Ti-Carbo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
You can easily check if it's the chainring or crank that's out of round. Hold a straight-edge or something against the seat tube, parallel to the ground, so that it sits just above the chainring. Spin it around by hand. If the gap between the straight-edge and teeth changes as it turns, it's not round. At that point you can remove the ring, and repeat the test against the crank itself, to see if the five holes are

I'd do this before spending any money at all, since the problem could be the ring, the crank, both, or something else entirely.
Damn... Excellent idea. I'll do this tomorrow. U B SMART and stuff!
Old 10-07-18, 06:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Such nice parts for a lager. You could probably buy 3-4 Lagers for the price of some of those components.

The straight edge idea is not a bad one but if you are looking to ball out which you clearly have started I would go with Sugino 75 Direct Drive. External BB, 144 BCD, cold forged cranks to high standards and it comes with a Zen chainring which is a high quality chainring. So it will further bling out the bike and be compatible with todays modern 24mm External BBs which you can find from many many many manufacturers so you can get even a CeramicSpeed BB (please don't as you would be better served with a cheaper ceramic BB and a nicer frame)