Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Leader 725tr

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 12:22 AM
Iamanasshat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leader 725tr

How much does one go for now? The prices are so varied. I got a full leader for 400....is it really worth it?
Old 03-03-19, 10:33 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
What is the cost of scrap in your area? That is what I would charge for one. Cracked frames and poor customer service is not good. They might have been popular at one point but good marketing can get people to do or buy anything. Being popular doesn't always make it good.

However if you have decent parts on a bike they could be worth more than the frame sometimes, not in every case but sometimes. If everything is of high quality and in good condition it can be worth it.
Old 03-03-19, 11:03 AM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Iamanasshat
How much does one go for now? The prices are so varied. I got a full leader for 400....is it really worth it?
Which version is it and what parts are on it? Do you have pictures or anything?
Old 03-03-19, 03:56 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Asshats gotta asshat...
Old 03-03-19, 04:48 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With literally no other information other than a vague model, it's impossible to say. That being said, most folks who have spent a week around the fixed gear culture, or spent a minimal amount of time researching would not take one of these if it were free.

I've only ever owned one aluminum frame, and didn't like it. That frame now sits and collects dust with no plan of ever using it. I owned one Leader years ago. It was the 722, a steel frame and fork set. I actually really liked that bike and would probably get another if it ever came my way. I was on a bicycle ''hiatus'' while Leader crumbled and fell apart... and was sad to hear they had gone to ***** as a company.
Old 03-03-19, 05:36 PM
Iamanasshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike

Bike is fully functional. Has minor scratches to frame. FSA carbon fiber headset/FSA head-stem (as pictured). Stock Leader crankset 1/8"x48t (as pictured) Double walled back wheel. Back and front lights. Smooth ride, great for around town. Super light. Put a lot of money and care into this bike.

has photo but I don't have points to post...

Kinda stock even they are carbon....
Old 03-03-19, 05:40 PM
Iamanasshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse
With literally no other information other than a vague model, it's impossible to say. That being said, most folks who have spent a week around the fixed gear culture, or spent a minimal amount of time researching would not take one of these if it were free.

I've only ever owned one aluminum frame, and didn't like it. That frame now sits and collects dust with no plan of ever using it. I owned one Leader years ago. It was the 722, a steel frame and fork set. I actually really liked that bike and would probably get another if it ever came my way. I was on a bicycle ''hiatus'' while Leader crumbled and fell apart... and was sad to hear they had gone to ***** as a company.
I keep seeing different opinions, personally I like how it looks. But that doesn't help weight and whatnot.. I am just curious I know the people around here think their 20"s are made of platinum or something. (Not that you'd ever see me on a 20)
and they want 150 or more for a damn 2014 critical....ridiculous. i miss S.F. better bikes and i didn't mind to spend money on them.
Old 03-03-19, 05:49 PM
Iamanasshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Asshats gotta asshat...
An asshat by any other name wouldn't be as ashattery
Old 03-04-19, 01:32 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
They had a line of frames with widespread issues of cracking. The 725 was basically their flagship at the time. It went bad enough that the company doesn't exist now. Caveat emptor. I wouldn't buy it.
Old 03-04-19, 09:10 AM
Iamanasshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
They had a line of frames with widespread issues of cracking. The 725 was basically their flagship at the time. It went bad enough that the company doesn't exist now. Caveat emptor. I wouldn't buy it.

It seemed exspensive for basic. I do like the frame look though. Just not 400 dollars like.
Old 03-04-19, 03:37 PM
IAmSam

Check out Brotures and Tyrant Co Bikes/Pedal Consumption
Old 03-04-19, 05:14 PM
Iamanasshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So is it worth the 400? Seems steep to me.
Old 03-04-19, 06:52 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You're still asking if it's worth it?
Old 03-04-19, 07:50 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Probably not considering its reputation... and its original price point. If I remember correctly they were around the $400-$500 range for the frame set new. So it being used, and having a bad reputation... not worth it to most. If you're asking all of this because you're looking to flip it, best bet would probably be ebay. They still seem to be popular overseas.
Old 03-04-19, 09:46 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Your $400 would be far better spent on a KiloTT. You'd even have a nickel left over to put toward upgrades.
Old 03-04-19, 11:33 PM
Iamanasshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
Your $400 would be far better spent on a KiloTT. You'd even have a nickel left over to put toward upgrades.
theres a kilott near for cheap
Old 03-05-19, 01:36 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
theres a kilott near for cheap
Why don’t you fully divulge what you’re getting out of this thread. Are you looking for an intro fixed gear? Do you have said Leader? If you’re simply coming here to ask if you should buy a $400 Leader... DONT! Get yourself an intro level steel frame such as the kilo, build it up and find out if you like what it offers. This is getting old.
Old 03-05-19, 12:50 PM
Iamanasshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why don’t you fully divulge what you’re getting out of this thread. Are you looking for an intro fixed gear? Do you have said Leader? If you’re simply coming here to ask if you should buy a $400 Leader... DONT! Get yourself an intro level steel frame such as the kilo, build it up and find out if you like what it offers. This is getting old.
what I orginally was trying to find out was the going rate for a leader 725TR....since no one had any numbers to give it got sidetracked...no I'm not trying to make money on bicycles. Yes I am trying to make a fixie. Is there a problem with trying to be ****ing informed before spending money? If it is getting old then don't bother reading or replying. Easily solved. But them why be on a bike forum if you're just going to be exhausted helping people? I'm sorry I wasn't born with all applicable knowledge pertaining to fixies. But thanks for your help.
Old 03-05-19, 01:49 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
what I orginally was trying to find out was the going rate for a leader 725TR....since no one had any numbers to give it got sidetracked...no I'm not trying to make money on bicycles. Yes I am trying to make a fixie. Is there a problem with trying to be ****ing informed before spending money? If it is getting old then don't bother reading or replying. Easily solved. But them why be on a bike forum if you're just going to be exhausted helping people? I'm sorry I wasn't born with all applicable knowledge pertaining to fixies. But thanks for your help.
He was just trying to help you, he did say don't buy it, it's not worth it. And to be fair I didn't know if you already had one and were wondering if you should sell it for that price, or if you were trying to buy one for $400 until your later responses. You weren't descriptive enough, you could have posted the picture to imgur, then just linked to it and removed the .com or something like that so we could see what kind of shape it's in and which version it was. Like some people said Leader had a huge quality control problem which basically lead to them closing. I'm pretty sure some frames were cracking at the seat post collar (which was integrated into the frame). So you could be asking to buy a frame that's prone to cracking, but we have no idea. It would probably be safer for you to buy a Aventon Cordoba $479 brand new, or a Kilo TT which is 4130 steel brand new. The Aventon is closer to a leader though.
Old 03-05-19, 02:05 PM
Iamanasshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to this site, so don't know all the ins and outs. If my original post was confusing then I'm sorry for that. I was trying to see if that bike(particularly the frame) was worth that price because I like the looks of the frame. I have found some leader frames exspensive while others are cheap...wanted to know about this one. It seems to be an actual leader and not knock off. I just don't know enough about the company. Also I wanted suggestions for a frame similar to this which is relatively inexpensive but also durable and light. The last fixie I had was a felt(don't remember the particulars) and was stolen 3 days after purchasing(S.F. can suck it) and that was 4 years ago. I lost all motivation to even ride. Now I want to get back into it.
Old 03-05-19, 02:12 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
be a leader ride what you want
Old 03-20-19, 11:43 AM
IAmSam

OK - here's Leader for you, nowadays...

https://brotures.com/?s=leader
Old 03-20-19, 11:48 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
...Cool.
Old 03-23-19, 06:01 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me