Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ztto cassettes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-20, 08:25 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Ztto cassettes

Probably just one possible name for the same model. It's a surprisingly light 11-46 11 speed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTTO-11-Speed-11-46T-SLR-Bicycle-Cassette-HG-Compatible-ultralight-Freewheel-MTB-/154233122138?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

At $85, it's not quite cheap enough to just take a chance on.

There is a video somewhere of one shifting perfectly but its just on a stand, not under load.

The 4 largest rings seem to be CNC'd aluminum, the rest is steel. I'd worry about breaking or bending teeth if it's anything but a perfect shift.

I think this is the same company that had an extremely cool cassette last year made from a single piece of aluminum, all machined out like crazy. I heard that it usually broke the first time riding it.

Generics sometimes work, Sunrace is a great example of this. Seems a little sketchy for the price though.

Has anyone tried one?
Old 12-20-20, 09:07 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I can't speak for their wide range cassetes, but I had a 11-25 9sp once, and it was crap. The material is too soft and it wore faster than the chain. Threw it out after 1K miles.
Old 12-20-20, 10:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
There is a thread on these on MTBR. Looks like mixed results.
Old 12-20-20, 11:32 AM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
As you can see from the design, those lightweight Chinese MTB cassettes are just a 7 or 8 speed steel road cassette with a cogset machined from aluminum slapped on the end to fill out the climbing gears. The ZTTO one looks a little better than some of the others that have a scary amount of material machined out at least. I certainly would not spend $85 on it though, unless it was for some sort of race or hill climb application where reliability or durability is of no concern.

If you need a very low budget cassette, the all steel Chinese ones are generally serviceable. I have an 11-28 Sunshine on my trainer, and would say it's probably one notch lower than a Sunrace or Microshift (which are good budget cassettes).

Last edited by zen_; 12-20-20 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 11:51 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

The consensus here is pretty much what I assumed.

It's not so much a budget concern, but just a matter of how light it is.

The Sunrace is actually a few bucks cheaper and is 1/4lb heavier. I've hammered a 10sp Sunrace for years, swapping it between two bikes and it's still fine. Probably worth the extra weight for peace of mind in this case.
Old 12-20-20, 03:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Never heard of a Ztito but I have generally found it is always best to stick with known quantities from established businesses I know and can trust. eBay is a fine marketplace to sell whatever including random crap from overseas from random vendors. SunRace is at least known quantity and quality so it would be a much better choice.

The cheap-o stuff is always funny, they anodize to make it look premium but I have a feeling it is made from Chinese PBR cans by small children. The people who do the copying are probably drinking that China PBR.
Old 12-20-20, 06:48 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I just couldn't make peace with a major part that could leave me stranded. I ordered the Sunrace and will be ok with something 120g heavier.

I still want one of y'all to buy me a ztto, and let me put it through the paces. Full report to follow.

50 miles from a major road and walking in clipless shoes, I can't justify it.

But seriously, if the community wants to hook me up, I'll report back with a highly detailed review.
Old 12-20-20, 08:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I just couldn't make peace with a major part that could leave me stranded. I ordered the Sunrace and will be ok with something 120g heavier.

I still want one of y'all to buy me a ztto, and let me put it through the paces. Full report to follow.

50 miles from a major road and walking in clipless shoes, I can't justify it.

But seriously, if the community wants to hook me up, I'll report back with a highly detailed review.
Wow! You want us to buy you cheap crap from China? If you are begging, get me some Heaven facing peppers (dried is fine I plan on making some homemade chili oil)