Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Rack

Old 04-11-21, 12:33 PM
Texboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bike Rack

I planning to purchase a bike rack. Are the bike racks easy to attach and detach behind a car? I’m concerned the bike racks are expensive and can be easily stolen once it sits behind my car.
Old 04-11-21, 12:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
There are tons of options; various styles, some easy to install, some less so, some theft-proof, some not.

Picking a type well depends on defining your use case and price range.
Old 04-11-21, 12:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
I planning to purchase a bike rack. Are the bike racks easy to attach and detach behind a car? I’m concerned the bike racks are expensive and can be easily stolen once it sits behind my car.
First you need a hitch. U-Haul can sell and install, costs a few hundred. Or they can sell you the kit for self install or check with E-Trailer or similar, they can sell you the kit for self install (complexity varies by vehicle).

Then you add the bike rack, 1UP is a very popular brand, so is Kuat and Yakima, Thule, Rocky Mounts. These also run a few hundred depending on how many bikes you need to carry. You can buy an accessory rack lock.
Old 04-11-21, 01:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
What ever you get, consider whether your bikes will be held high enough to not have the wheels drag the ground if you are backing down a steep driveway.

Thankfully we thought to get out and check the first time we tried this. It could have been an expensive learning experience.
Old 04-11-21, 01:42 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
There are locking cotter pins. How easily they can be defeated probably mirrors bike locks in general.
Old 04-11-21, 01:59 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Unless it's welded down, encased in concrete, and guarded by rabid wolves, it can be easily stolen, and even the aforementioned welded, concrete reinforced strongholds (complete with ill-tempered canids) can be breeched, entered, looted and left as empty husks once a determined thief has set their sights on your goods. Nothing is theft proof. (Except a US election. What? I'm just giving an example.)
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-11-21, 03:18 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Bikes: Junk with two wheels

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
They are expensive and they can be easily stolen. Having had 2 that were stolen and 2 that were a PITA to install, we bucked up and bought I bike rack that is really, really hard to steel. For this reason alone I would stay away from Thule. Plenty of YouTube vids out there showing you how to do it. I'll tell you what I bought if you want to know. Sadly, while Thule makes some really nice products, their anti-theft approach would never pull me to buying one of their racks again until the fix this security flaw. Yes, one of my racks stolen was a Thule.
Old 04-11-21, 04:04 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I have a Yakima Dr Tray hitch mounted rack. It stays on my Jeep more than it is off. It has a knob that causes the insert in the hitch to expand, holding it secure and when you lock it, the knob spins freely.

It also has built in cable locks for the bikes, all using the same key.

We often have well over $10k in bikes on the carrier and so far so good.

We didn’t buy it for security, though. It’s really easy, because of its light weight, to put on and off the vehicle. And it folds up conveniently. And it doesn’t mar the bikes, but holds them securely.
Old 04-11-21, 06:39 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I used to have a hitch mounted rack, and had no problem with bike theft while the bike was on the rack. That didn't prevent the bike from being crushed when I was rear ended on my way home from a bike ride.

Now my bike goes inside the truck bed under the bed cap, or else it goes inside the compact SUV (Rav4). Tinted windows. More security. Why give thieves a chance?
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-11-21, 06:51 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
I recommend a "1 Up" ... it is the best rack bargain out there
Old 04-11-21, 06:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Get a good quality hitch from someone like Curt and then get a hitch rack that works well for you, Thule, Küat, Yakima sells some great racks. Thule is quite nice as a lot of the newer XT stuff is keyed alike and easy to use. No pins to deal with just a simple knob you tighten and can lock the rack to the hitch. It is not super secure but nothing is just take it off when not using it.
Old 04-13-21, 10:25 AM
Ayrton980

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look for the Mikels Bicycle Rack for all types of vehicles trunk
Old 04-13-21, 10:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayrton980
Huh? Never heard of it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-21, 11:20 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What ever you get, consider whether your bikes will be held high enough to not have the wheels drag the ground if you are backing down a steep driveway.

Thankfully we thought to get out and check the first time we tried this. It could have been an expensive learning experience.
Get a tray type rack, and that won't be an issue.
Old 04-13-21, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayrton980
I also haven't heard of it. Apparently it is the Allen racks of Mexico at least looking at it. So lower quality and not a great design but if using it very rarely and not going far it is a bargain bin option. It looks like they also do a bad ABUS Bordo clone and some other random stuff. Maybe they are the Canuckistan Tire of Mexico they seem to be sort of a catch all for random tools and odd bike and automotive parts and such.
Old 04-18-21, 12:38 PM
Texboy

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What do you think of this Trunk Rack Lock?
Old 04-18-21, 12:54 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
What do you think of this Trunk Rack Lock?
https://youtu.be/MtxoIrxn9-w
Looks very nice but cables are apparently one of the easier "locking devices" to cut.

And being the overly concerned type!! I can see some vindictive bike thief with their angle grinder find a lock that can't be sawed/broken/whatever, taking the angle grinder or sledge to the bike itself. If they can't have it, neither can you!!!
Old 04-18-21, 01:25 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I'm using a Thule Apex and it installs easily, has a locking bolt for both the rack and the bikes. There's a cable that extends over the bikes that prevents them from being stolen off the rack. I prefer hitch racks since I can move them from car to car easily. But no good rack is cheap. Wrong place to save on a cheapie.
Old 04-20-21, 10:04 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
https://www.seasucker.com/
Racks are great. Easy to install and remove.

Old 04-20-21, 01:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
https://www.seasucker.com/
Racks are great. Easy to install and remove.

https://youtu.be/diHQ4doKGDo
Depending on what one needs, they’re probably the best!

I absolutely love my Seasucker Talon for the versatility and ease of use. Best of all, it’s not on the car when I’m not using it, so it’s not an eyesore, it’s not getting weathered and worn, doesn’t make washing the car a pain, doesn’t reduce fuel efficiency, and doesn’t make wind noise.
Old 04-20-21, 01:19 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
"What ever you get, consider whether your bikes will be held high enough to not have the wheels drag the ground if you are backing down a steep driveway."

Originally Posted by phughes
Get a tray type rack, and that won't be an issue.
This is not totally true. Even with a tray rack mounted to a hitch, the tray rack "itself" can still bottom out while going in reverse down a steep ramp, where the ramp meets the flat road, and it could possibly damage the rack and hitch, especially when using a car, where the hitch is lower than a truck or SUV. Ask me how I know?!

I currently do a roof mounted rack, which comes with its own risks.
Old 04-20-21, 01:39 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Riveting
"What ever you get, consider whether your bikes will be held high enough to not have the wheels drag the ground if you are backing down a steep driveway."

This is not totally true. Even with a tray rack mounted to a hitch, the tray rack "itself" can still bottom out while going in reverse down a steep ramp, where the ramp meets the flat road, and it could possibly damage the rack and hitch, especially when using a car, where the hitch is lower than a truck or SUV. Ask me how I know?!

I currently do a roof mounted rack, which comes with its own risks.
The person said the rack should be high enough for the wheels to not drag the ground. With a tray rack, the wheels will not be what drags. That is what I said. The statement by the person I quoted was talking about damaging the bike wheels. That won't happen with a tray rack. Sure, you could possibly drag the rack, but the frame that runs under the trays will hit, and not the tray. For it to even hit the square tube that the bike tray itself sits on, you would first have to drag the main tube that comes out off the receiver. If you hit something with it hard enough to damage the bike, you worked hard at it, and you deserve your prize.

Also, if you don't know how to drive, and actually pay attention to what you are doing, totally oblivious to the fact you have a rack on your bike, you may want to turn in your license. I'm sorry if you had trouble. I have not, in all the years I have used a tray type rack. Once again, look at the first sentence in this paragraph.
Old 04-20-21, 01:49 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
The person said the rack should be high enough for the wheels to not drag the ground. With a tray rack, the wheels will not be what drags. That is what I said. The statement by the person I quoted was talking about damaging the bike wheels. That won't happen with a tray rack. Sure, you could possibly drag the rack, but the frame that runs under the trays will hit, and not the tray. For it to even hit the square tube that the bike tray itself sits on, you would first have to drag the main tube that comes out off the receiver. If you hit something with it hard enough to damage the bike, you worked hard at it, and you deserve your prize.

Also, if you don't know how to drive, and actually pay attention to what you are doing, totally oblivious to the fact you have a rack on your bike, you may want to turn in your license. I'm sorry if you had trouble. I have not, in all the years I have used a tray type rack. Once again, look at the first sentence in this paragraph.
Your info was spot on, I'm not denying that. I just wanted to interject that the tray rack method is not without its own risks of damage when backing up. And it doesn't take being "oblivious" to the fact you have a rack on, to make a simple mistake. There's gray area between being totally oblivious and not knowing how to drive, and being at the elite level of driving such as yourself.

There's "plenty" of roof rack owners who have driven into their garage with the bikes on top; should their driving licenses be revoked as you suggested?
Old 04-20-21, 01:56 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Riveting
Your info was spot on, I'm not denying that. I just wanted to interject that the tray rack method is not without its own risks of damage when backing up. And it doesn't take being "oblivious" to the fact you have a rack on, to make a simple mistake. There's gray area between being totally oblivious and not knowing how to drive, and being at the elite level of driving such as yourself.

There's "plenty" of roof rack owners who have driven into their garage with the bikes on top; should their driving licenses be revoked as you suggested?
Show me where I said their license should be revoked. I said, "if you don't know how to drive, and actually pay attention to what you are doing, totally oblivious to the fact you have a rack on your bike, you may want to turn in your license." In other words, if you don't pay attention to your driving, you really need to either stop driving, or possibly start paying attention. That goes for all types of inattention while driving, including playing with your phone.

And yes, people have driven into their garage with the rack attached, that probably happens more often than dragging a tray type rack hard enough to do damage to the bicycle, which would actually take a lot to do. If you do drive into your garage, or parking garage with a rack on the top, thereby damaging your bikes, then it is most definitely your own fault. That is also much easier to do than it is to drag a tray type rack hard enough to do damage to the bike.
Old 04-20-21, 04:48 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
you cant beat a van. lock up the bikes while traveling and when going into town etc...
Likes For coffeesnob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.