Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Beast, Brute, or Bulldog?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 01:29 PM
jz19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the market for a new lock. It will remain at work so weight is not really an issue and have narrowed it down to Onguards as that makes the decision easier. I can get a Beast chain or a Brute u-lock for $40ish with the same security ratings (high *****+) or go down to the Bulldog level (medium ***+) for $20. I don't mind spending those extra $20 if it makes sense, but does it? I also debate if the chain would be more convenient to use than the u-lock. Btw, this is for a bike that is locked to a bike rack in an office parking in a safe location.
Old 11-14-05, 01:40 PM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main reason for a chain over a U lock is if you are locking to something you can't get the U-lock around, so I think I would go with the Brute U-lock over the Beast chain. Now your choice of Brute or Bulldog will depend on the value of your bike and the likely hold of someone attempting to steal it. If it is parked in an area where most bikes are locked with a cable lock and the bike isn't real flashy then the Bulldog may be sufficient. However if you are in or near an area that sees frequent thefts of secured bikes then I'd pay the extra for the Brute. In my situation the Bulldog should be sufficient give the bike theft rate of Cleveland suburbs. But if I rode my bike to a big college campus or parked downtown I'd probably use the Brute.
Craig
Old 11-14-05, 03:25 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw, this is for a bike that is locked to a bike rack in an office parking in a safe location.
Your choice of lock should probably depend on how safe your safe location is, and how valuable your bike is.

Is there a security guard who would see if someone messed with your lock? Or is it just a low-crime area? If you ride a bike like mine (there isn't a part on it without scratches and scrapes) then you probably don't need a nice lock.

Also, if you want the flexibility to use your lock in less safe places, that might affect your choice.