Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Exciting Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Exciting Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 06:12 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Exciting Ride

We’ve had a very slow start to summer around here - temperatures in the single digits (C) at night, mid-teens during the days and almost daily showers, often with thunder and lightning. But it looked ok this afternoon for a short road bike ride of about 30 kms. We decide to ride in the nearby Pend Oreille Valley, which is rural.

First incident was with a Yellow-bellied Marmot. They often sit on the highway barriers, which was what this one was doing. However he must have been dozing because instead of jumping down and going under the barrier as usual he lept right in front of my bike. I managed to miss him by about his tail length.

Next incident involved a bit larger animal. My wife was a short way behind me. As I started up a hill I geared down. Meanwhile, between her and me, a bear jumped out of the verge and ran across the road right in front of her. I turned at her shout just in time to see his backside as he ran into cover.

Then it started to rain. And blow. And get colder. So I rode on ahead. As I crested the hill an elk ran out on the road about fifty feet ahead of me. And stopped on the centre line. He was clearly curious about what I was. There was no way I was going to ride past him (we’ve all seen the antelope in South Africa video) but I didn’t want to stop. So I shouted “Make up your mind!” That, as it turns out, is a very effective elk mover. He immediately began to scramble on the road, fell, jumped back up and took off down the far side.

I got back to my truck just as the rain let up. That’s enough excitement for me for a short ride!
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 07-20-19, 12:49 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Exciting, indeed. Glad you lived to tell the tale.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 07-20-19, 05:22 PM
clubmanager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How awesome. I’d love to see an Elk, let alone one that fell down in the road!
Old 07-20-19, 06:06 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I bet the Elk went back to his herd and embarrassing told the others about how his hooves got tangled, slipped and fell while trying to get away from an alien being transported by a strange looking space craft!!
Old 07-20-19, 06:09 PM
clubmanager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No, as with us humans he probably looked down and backwards like someone tripped him then looked around to see if anyone saw it
Likes For clubmanager:
Old 07-20-19, 07:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
A human can't tell his elk buddies about the slip-and-fall; so it's like it never happened.
Old 07-20-19, 08:29 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Is that Pend O'Reille Valley, as in Coeur d'Alene Idaho? Man, that's gorgeous country. I spent 2 weeks there in '73 at the Boy Scout National Jamboree and did not want to come back to So Cal. I'm retiring in a couple of years and Coeur d'Alene and Moscow are on my list of places to check out.
Jon
Old 07-21-19, 09:14 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Is that Pend O'Reille Valley, as in Coeur d'Alene Idaho? Man, that's gorgeous country. I spent 2 weeks there in '73 at the Boy Scout National Jamboree and did not want to come back to So Cal. I'm retiring in a couple of years and Coeur d'Alene and Moscow are on my list of places to check out.
Jon
Yeah, the Pend Oreille runs north out of Lake Pend Oreille I’d. Into WA and crosses into Canada for a 40 km stretch just south of Trail BC before it dumps into the Columbia. Beautiful! If you love it, check out the small towns along its northern reaches in Washington. The Coeur D’Alene is close but actually on a separate drainage that ends up flowing down the Spokane River to join the Columbia much further south. It’s nice too, but much more settled than the Pend Oreille - even on the US side. Mind you, the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes is one of my favourite road bike rides. https://friendsofcdatrails.org/
Old 07-22-19, 07:59 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Don’t see too many of any of those critters in central Indiana.
Occasional deer, yes. Lots of roadkill ‘possums and raccoons, yes. Live squirrels in abundance.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-22-19, 10:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I've done Ione, WA, to Sandpoint, ID, twice--1999 and 2000--while touring. Stopped in Newport, WA for my first ever chicken fried steak with biscuits and sausage gravy.

Saw this fellow last month while touring in NW Montana. Wish my camera had a greater zoom. Also saw a herd of doe elk with calves, a lone young bull elk, a couple of bald eagles, lots of ospreys, including one with a fish in its talons, and countless deer, some of which wandered through my campsites.
Likes For indyfabz: