Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you justify buying a $1000 + bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you justify buying a $1000 + bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 08:56 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Details? I want the real scoop. I've heard that they use plastic bushings in the wheels instead of bearings, for example (from a post on BF, too).
I've not seen plastic in wheels, but I have seen plastic bushings as the only things holding the cranks on in bikes intended for little kids.
Old 10-03-10, 09:02 AM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Details? I want the real scoop. I've heard that they use plastic bushings in the wheels instead of bearings, for example (from a post on BF, too).
I've never seen any plastic bushings, although, I have seen plastic pedals, I was told that if they had a bent fork out of the box, it is acceptable to bend it back into shape (shudder), often bent chain wheels which I was told to crescent wrench back into straight, not to install toe clips for fear of children getting caught in them, the brake pads never sat flat on the braking surface, and if I can think of more I'll post it. They had no clue about red grease for the stem and seat post, which I guess was due to the idea that the bike would never last or be ridden long enough to modify these parts or even adjust or upgrade them, (upgrade is much more of an oxymoron here) therefore if they got stuck in the frame, so what.

Certainly all of the components overall that we, as "bicyclists", take for granted to have the highest level of integral strength, were always questionable as to long term use and safety all around from my hands on observations. I will admit that my level of concern for the safety of people buying these bikes was significantly elevated after my short stint as a wrench for the Huffy Corporation. The requirement was to build at least 50 bikes in an eight hour shift, but honestly, with so many components not aligning correctly, etc., 50 bikes was in many cases a challenge. Everything had to be adjusted "close enough to get it off of the floor." These were all built in the Chattanooga, TN. area.

My assumption is that not one single component on the bikes would cost more than $30 to replace with equal quality components. (I know that's a weird sentence/statement, but I had never built bikes that were so hard to work on but were so simple and cheap, and I have been building for over 40 years. These are a nightmare to deal with.)

So that's about it.

To the OP, I wouldn't buy a bike ( for my own use, not for anyone generally) that was not worth at least $500 and up new (originally) and hand built in a bike shop with the sole consideration for safety. IOW, if it is for sale used for $250 but was worth at least somewhere in the $500 range when it was new, I would strongly consider the purchase for myself or anyone I know. I know this may sound elitist, but I just can't see buying a bike at a "good price" and thinking it will keep you upright without knowing everything about it. I am sure most here will agree.

Don't compromise your safety or the safety of others.

Last edited by thompsonpost; 10-04-10 at 06:44 AM.

Old 10-03-10, 09:07 AM
thompsonpost

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I've not seen plastic in wheels, but I have seen plastic bushings as the only things holding the cranks on in bikes intended for little kids.
Yes, I have seen that in the My Little Pony models. Basically held together with friction.

Old 10-03-10, 11:37 AM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The approach I've used which has been successful is to say that:

1) Wal-Mart bikes are designed to last 3-6 months, then be thrown away. They aren't a good point of comparison, and
2) If a higher quality bike works well enough to prevent a single injury that would otherwise have happened, it's paid for itself several times over.
Old 10-04-10, 02:19 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A quality bike will cost a considerable sum of money. But it will last and will hold its resale value.

Do you really have to justify how much you spent on it?

If you like it and it fits, quite frankly, its no body's business what you paid for it!
Old 10-04-10, 02:33 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Better not tell your family I just spent $500 on wheels that I'll only use a couple of dozen times a year. And I think I got a screaming deal.
Each ride I check out the grooves in my Rolf's.. Fearing how I will justify to my wife a new set of 700 dollars wheels...
.One thousand dollars.. My heart goes pitter patter when I see a Litespeed.. How would I ever justify that.. She'd rather justify an exotic trip to Tahiti... How'd I explain I just raided our vacation stash..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-04-10, 06:32 AM
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Each ride I check out the grooves in my Rolf's.. Fearing how I will justify to my wife a new set of 700 dollars wheels...
.One thousand dollars.. My heart goes pitter patter when I see a Litespeed.. How would I ever justify that.. She'd rather justify an exotic trip to Tahiti... How'd I explain I just raided our vacation stash..
A successful marriage depends on COMPROMISE. You probably a) Need to get a second job to buy what you want, or b) Let her have what she wants first, then get what you want.

I suppose there's Plan C: Divorce.

No, nevermind. In that case, she would end up with your bike and your wheels!
Old 10-04-10, 07:51 AM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i justified it by selling my motorcycle to pay for it, and then not buying a car, and then using the bicycle i did buy for 90% of my normal life activities including commuting to work, taking my kid to day care, grocery shopping after day care and work, and weekend club rides. with the amount i've spent on the bike in the last three years (inclusive), versus a car for the same initial capital i guarantee i've saved money *and* (the sweet ka-ching!) i'm in much better shape for it (with no gym fees) and with a daughter who loves riding around town too.

capital: $3000 (a complete retrofit Rohloff IGH setup accounts for around $1500 of this)
additional bike maintenance for three years: ~$400 (tires, lube, basic parts [e.g. chains, cables, etc.])
insurance: $0 (included in renters insurance)
gas: $0

now find me a car for $3k that will last 20 years with only routine maintenance, comes with A-list parking, and has zero-emissions (unless i eat too much cabbage).

disclaimer: we do have one shared family car, which i use only infrequently. it's a small compact from 1998, with insurance costs of about $400 a year (we have more than just basic liability), and monthly gas bills of $40-50 (30mpg and a result of my commitment to bicycling), oil roughly every four months ($30 each time), and at least $250-300 a year for some unforeseen maintenance (especially as it ages).

sure it's a lifestyle choice. we all have choices to make.
Old 10-04-10, 08:11 AM
cyclezealot

Originally Posted by xizangstan
A successful marriage depends on COMPROMISE. You probably a) Need to get a second job to buy what you want, or b) Let her have what she wants first, then get what you want.

Never fear. If we can afford it, she gets what ever she wants. And she'd not deny me what is really important to me. If , we can afford it..
But, many wife's in your option C. They'd likely sell your 6 K bike in a yard sale for 5 bucks , just for spite. ?

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-04-10, 08:44 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i'm not married and without children, so i'm 100% financially independent. if i want something and i can afford it, then that's all there really is to it, regardless of whether the object of my desire is 5 bucks or 5,000 bucks. absolutely no justification to anyone else is required.
Old 10-04-10, 08:48 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was single and financially independent, but now have a fiancée and will be married at the end of the month... so I won't be as independent as before.

However, a financial plan that she's come up with involves a second savings account that we'd both contribute to. Then, after a year, we'd empty it out and split it 50/50, spending on whatever we want. She even said, "You could use that for another bike if you'd like."

I love her...
Old 10-04-10, 08:53 AM
cyclezealot

She sounds like a peach.. This being married stuff and not having enough trust in each other to pool your finances just seems like a bad start..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-04-10, 12:15 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't worry, you can still have half her stuff anyways - if you want. The second account is probably just trouble in most people's hands. YEs, this probably means your sweety also.
Old 10-04-10, 12:48 PM
thompsonpost

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
She sounds like a peach.. This being married stuff and not having enough trust in each other to pool your finances just seems like a bad start..
Yeah buddy. "Pre-nup" says you doubt what you are getting into from the start.
Please, no flames. My wife and I are absolute best friends. She is a smokin' babe on all levels.

Old 10-04-10, 01:21 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think pre-nup is good idea for those already married once.
Old 10-04-10, 01:33 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because you prefer to be sitting on a quality gear assembled by a competent mechanic when you are barreling down the hill at 40+ mph.
Old 10-04-10, 01:35 PM
thompsonpost

Yeah, I agree. If you don't understand it the first time, better cover your ass afterwards.

Had my wife asked me for a "pre nup", both of us being past 50 and never been married, I would have backed away. Saw ray.

Old 10-04-10, 02:31 PM
nanan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see it this way...

2007 VW GTI, ~$30,000, currently has 25k miles on it so it has cost me roughly $1.2/mile just for the car, not counting fuel, insurance, etc.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650r, $7,500, currently has 12k miles thus cost of ownership has been $0.625/mile, again not counting insurance, fuel, and two sets of tires at almost $600 a set.

2008 Trek 7.3 FX, $500, currently has ~5k miles and thus cost of ownership is $0.10/mile, again not counting stuff like tires, chain, new front rim etc.

Overall my bike has been one of the cheapest toys I have owned and even at 1/4 of the cost of the next bike I will be getting here next month(2011 Specialized Roubiax), at $2000, it would still be dirt cheap in terms of cost.
Old 10-04-10, 02:44 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling(assuming a $1,000 bike) pays for itself in three years due to decreased medical expenditures due to increased fitness.

https://www.bicyclepaper.com/articles...hcare_overhaul
Old 10-04-10, 02:54 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by nanan
Overall my bike has been one of the cheapest toys I have owned and even at 1/4 of the cost of the next bike I will be getting here next month(2011 Specialized Roubiax), at $2000, it would still be dirt cheap in terms of cost.
My 1999 Trek 7500 was bought used for $120.00 and I did a lot of work to upgrade the bike and used some pretty choice parts and calculated that if I paid someone to do the work and had to pay full price for my parts would have been looking at a $1000.00 bike but got some good deals on those as well. My brakes and wheels / tyres compromise most of the expense as they are worth $600.00 (and are worth every penny).

Have ridden it so many miles that it should be paying me every time I ride it now.

The same things applies to some upgrades... better wheels cost more but will deliver improved service and last a lot longer so when you amortize their price against second rate wheels they also pay for themselves pretty quickly.
Old 10-04-10, 02:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How to justify buying a $1,000 bike?

Just tell them that you didn't want to spend the money that it takes to get the "good stuff".
Old 10-04-10, 02:59 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan

A successful relationship is based on cooperation and understanding of each other's needs.

My Girl (a total babe) and I both love cycling and this is what brought us together and she supports my dreams and endeavours to open a bigger shop and become a full time shop owner and frame builder... she said she would not mind working extra hours at another job to support us as the business develops and grows.

We dream together... and she does expect that at some point I will be building her a custom bike of her own in addition to the tandem she requested as an engagement gift (which I am building now).

Yes... she is perfect.
Old 10-04-10, 03:08 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmitt
1) Wal-Mart bikes are designed to last 3-6 months, then be thrown away...
It isn't so, though. Some of them will hold up to regular commuting for a few years then be good enough to sell, albeit with some replaced parts, which are simple and readily available.
Old 10-04-10, 03:13 PM
Hulley

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I recently got into cycling. She is VERY cheap. I took here to several bike shops to test rides bike. She starts looking at $450 bikes. I have her ride the same frames but better group to get her thoughts. Long story short, she buys a Giant Defy Advance carbon with 105, I get a Scott CR1 Team. You can definitly tell the difference in a quality bike and my wife hasnt ridden in 25yrs. She has ridden EVERY day since she has gotten the bike. We went for a 20 mile ride today, not bad considering she got her bike 3 weeks ago.
Old 10-04-10, 03:49 PM
thompsonpost

Originally Posted by garage sale GT
It isn't so, though. Some of them will hold up to regular commuting for a few years then be good enough to sell, albeit with some replaced parts, which are simple and readily available.
Yep, in .005% of the cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.