Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 11-21-13, 11:08 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Another promising thread snuffed out for no reason, other than a mod could.
Somebody must have whined.
Old 11-22-13, 08:47 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Another promising thread snuffed out for no reason, other than a mod could.
I agree, though I hardly take it personally and I can't see how anyone could think this subject isn't relevant to fifty+ cyclists. Perhaps I should have dropped "Brooks" or "tire size" into the first paragraph? Maybe reflecting on escapism is too close to home for someone. Shame on the BF, and leave it at that.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 11-22-13 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 07:42 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I agree, though I hardly take it personally and I can't see how anyone could think this subject isn't relevant to fifty+ cyclists. Perhaps I should have dropped "Brooks" or "tire size" into the first paragraph? Maybe reflecting on escapism is too close to home for someone. Shame on the BF, and leave it at that.
No need to do that. My post made it relevant to cycling. As I mentioned, there is a lot that could go wrong on a self-supported solo cycling tour.

Old 11-22-13, 09:03 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
We really should make you a mod. Just so you can see what we go through to try to make this place nice for everyone. You have no idea what issues that are thrown at us and the abuse that we take. All for no pay.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-23-13, 08:51 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
We really should make you a mod. Just so you can see what we go through to try to make this place nice for everyone. You have no idea what issues that are thrown at us and the abuse that we take. All for no pay.
If that's addressed to me: I accept.

Sadly, I'm obliged to leave it at that.

Old 11-23-13, 12:33 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I think one of the things missing in the life of many "modern day" folks is the opportunity for real solitude. For some the only solitude they know is driving to and from work with the radio on. I suspect the idea of spending time with just self and the thoughts that exist when there are no outside demands for our attention by others can seem foreign to some. Yet, on a daily basis we are bombarded by demands from others to pay attention to the things they direct us towards. Coming to truly know who and what you are is challenging when you constantly get messages directing your attention here, there, and everywhere, Having, in my view, the luxury to sort out one’s own mind is achieved more easily with solitude. It is one of the major reasons I ride and that the majority of my rides are alone.
Solitude as well as plain peace and quiet is necessary. Some years ago I sailed a boat from the Caribbean to New York City with my father and one other person. On the last day of the cruise, within several hours of the harbor but still out of sight of land, I became aware of a drone in the distance, almost below hearing threshold at first. After a while and still out of sight of land, it became evident we were hearing the city. After a bit of time, we were no longer able to hear the drone. We'd been absorbed into it. It seems to me we are constantly bombarded noise, flashing lights, loud colors and advertisements clamoring for our attention. It's enough to drive a person crazy. Oh, wait. Looking around, does anyone else see nutty people everywhere.

Some of us require a large dose of peace and quiet and take measures to achieve it including where we live, long backpacking into wilderness areas or sailing journeys across the ocean where the nearest person may be days or weeks away.
Old 12-18-13, 10:09 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Someone recently asked a number of questions about how to chain up to drive in the snowy mountains. I thought I'd share my sage advice with the rest of you:

Relax. Do what I do.

1. Leave them in the can all winter until the freeze and rust up so bad, you can't even get them apart.

2. Pass all chain up areas, smirking and congratulating yourself that you're not one of those chumps that think chains really are required in R1 conditions.

3. Wait until your car is literally swimming in snow before you stop to put them on. Extra points if your car is stuck in a place the blocks the only exit to a parking lot.

4. Revel in the joy knowing that you finally get to use that shovel you've been toting around in your trunk for years to dig all the snow out from under your car and in the wheel wells.

5. At some point in the 90 or so minutes it takes you to dig the car loose, leave that shovel outside so you can lose it along with your wife's earrings.

6. Hear the cheery beep-beeping sound of the snowplow coming to clear out the parking lot, mere minutes after you've completed the task and parked your car. Rest comfy in the knowledge that you got a lot more exercise than most folks do before arriving at their destination.

Me? Still bitter? Nah.

Old 12-18-13, 03:36 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think one of the things missing in the life of many "modern day" folks is the opportunity for real solitude. For some the only solitude they know is driving to and from work with the radio on. I suspect the idea of spending time with just self and the thoughts that exist when there are no outside demands for our attention by others can seem foreign to some. Yet, on a daily basis we are bombarded by demands from others to pay attention to the things they direct us towards. Coming to truly know who and what you are is challenging when you constantly get messages directing your attention here, there, and everywhere, Having, in my view, the luxury to sort out one’s own mind is achieved more easily with solitude. It is one of the major reasons I ride and that the majority of my rides are alone.
Solitary rides are a great time, to an extent, for solitude. Of course you have to be alert for traffic and other potential dangers, but to a large extent it is you, the bike, the road, and the environment.
Old 12-21-13, 02:08 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had to share this.

An elderly man in Oklahoma calls his son in New York and says, "I hate to ruin your day son, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are getting a divorce; 45 years of marriage... and that much misery is enough!" "Dad, what are you talking about?" the son yells. "We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the old dad explained. "We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Hong Kong and tell her!". Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this." She calls her elderly father immediately, and screams at him, "You are not getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, you hear me?" she yelled as she hung up the phone. The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "Okay", he says, "it's all set. They're both coming for Christmas and paying their own air-fare."

Merry Christmas everybody.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-21-13, 08:28 AM
rideorglide

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:thumbs: I wonder how difficult this might become for my children's generation - they are constantly responding to stimulation from Facebook etc. Maybe one day in the future there will be a big renaissance in spending quality time alone, outdoors, away from screens? Not holding my breath though. alright, GTG to physical therapy (neck), if I want to have a hope of riding again (or avoiding surgery).
Old 12-22-13, 04:01 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Had to share this.

An elderly man in Oklahoma calls his son in New York and says, "I hate to ruin your day son, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are getting a divorce; 45 years of marriage... and that much misery is enough!" "Dad, what are you talking about?" the son yells. "We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the old dad explained. "We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Hong Kong and tell her!". Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this." She calls her elderly father immediately, and screams at him, "You are not getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, you hear me?" she yelled as she hung up the phone. The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "Okay", he says, "it's all set. They're both coming for Christmas and paying their own air-fare."

Merry Christmas everybody.
Good one.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-13, 05:20 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Siu, are you saying that the mods need sympathy? if not, then what? You say you are here to help, yet there are people who do not desire some of it.

Is it just that we are the minority? That's asking us to simply be submissive.

Is it that we are not appreciative of your efforts? Some of us certainly are not but probably not all of us. But if we users really understood why what we don't like is necessary, we might be a little more sanguine in our submission. If the mods can share the rationale in an understandable way in one or two cases (your choice), that might help me, at least.
Old 12-31-13, 04:56 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Barkeep, I'll be by a bit later. Please have my champagne ready. And lots of pretty girls.
Old 01-01-14, 05:00 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Somebody keeps trying to make "fetch" happen...
Old 01-01-14, 08:45 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by JimF22003
Somebody keeps trying to make "fetch" happen...
The intent was to make this like the Addiction thread over at the 41. The attempt failed just by picking the Pub name, which led many to believe this was about alkeehol. Doomed from the start, really.

Now there are fewer "fun" threads on the forum. Why bother when they'll just get moved elsewhere? Not complaining, mind you. Just the way it is.

If I'm elected mod, the only posts I'd move are ones that are overtly political. Religious threads would stay if they are relevant and if people behaved as respectfully and tolerantly as they say they are.

Old 01-21-14, 07:20 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Is there a dart board in here? I want to toss some darts!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-21-14, 07:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Is there a dart board in here? I want to toss some darts!
NORM!!!!!

oops, wrong channel?
Old 01-21-14, 07:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Haven't ridden a bike since the afternoon of Christmas Eve - Mother Nature has been abusing her children!
I could stand a round of darts with a dark beer in the non-tossing hand..............................
Old 01-22-14, 10:23 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Our weather has been incredible for riding, but I am slacking miserably and missing out on the weather. MUST GET BUSY!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-31-14, 10:23 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Oh the humanity!

Old 01-31-14, 05:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Oh the humanity!
The Onion! America's finest news source!
Old 02-03-14, 08:18 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Barkeep, I need a drink. Some people in this forum are stressing me the **** out.

Excuse my language sir and make it a double while you're at it. Neat!
Old 02-22-14, 08:08 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Texas brunch after a brisk ride

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1827.jpg (97.5 KB, 49 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-24-14, 02:05 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Lookie what I found cleaning up my office! I thought it long dead (haven't used her in 20 years), but I popped some N batteries in her and she woke up with the beautiful words "MEMORY LOST."

Yea baby. Let the nerdly walk down memory lane begin.

I wasn't too happy with the batteries I bought on line though. Check out the box:

Sheesh.
Attached Images
IMG_5101 - compressed.jpg (84.8 KB, 55 views)
IMG_5102 - Compressed.jpg (80.5 KB, 58 views)

Old 04-08-14, 08:09 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Lookie what I found cleaning up my office! I thought it long dead (haven't used her in 20 years), but I popped some N batteries in her and she woke up with the beautiful words "MEMORY LOST."

Yea baby. Let the nerdly walk down memory lane begin.

Now THATS a real calculator (RPN)! I don't recognize the model though. I'm assuming it's an HP, of which I've had many over the years. Sadly, recent models have not been made nearly to the same quality as those through the 80's.

Here's an image of my first.

Attached Images
453q.jpg (87.7 KB, 53 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.