Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Katy trail stealth camping

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Katy trail stealth camping

Old 12-11-18, 06:19 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Dear, Dear, Dear Moderator . . .
Old 12-11-18, 07:27 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
Dear, Dear, Dear Moderator . . .
Seems every time a civil, spirited discussion happens around here that shines a spotlight on how people with different points of view on a bicycle related topic (stealth camping in this case) that someone who can't seem to avoid clicking the link calls for a shutdown.

I've learned a lot about the perils of expansive property owners as it relates to unlawful use of their land. If this does not interest you there are thousands of other threads on BF to amuse yourself. Let the mods decide, unless you have PERSONALLY been harmed here.

It's like the digital version of stealth camping / trespassing.

If you please.

Originally Posted by bbbean
Glad we agree. I'll note that just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do a thing. I'll even add that if you ask nicely, you're more than welcome to camp on the farm.
Thanks bb.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 12-11-18 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-11-18, 09:11 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Yes, you could argue that, but the folks who have had problems with people using the trail to get in and out of otherwise remote locations have a completely different argument to make. I suppose leaving all your windows and doors open would make your house less vulnerable to thieves as well, right?
You seem to know a lot about this subject. Where can I read up on the dangers to property owners due to rail trails?
Old 12-11-18, 09:29 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

You seem to know a lot about this subject. Where can I read up on the dangers to property owners due to rail trails?
Google is your friend. Much of what I mention is personal experience ( I am a farmer with an abandoned railroad cutting through my farm and a cyclist who has ridden sections of the Katy). But dig a little into articles on the Katy and the Rock Island line and you can find plenty of accounts. My quick google found accounts of crimes on other trails.

I could dredge up all up all sorts of news accounts if you have a legitimate interest, but I suspect your question is rhetorical. Further, I’m not opposed to trails. But I also value and respect property rights, security, and privacy. When those issues are taken into account, trails can be an asset to an area.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-11-18, 09:35 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

Google is your friend. Much of what I mention is personal experience ( I am a farmer with an abandoned railroad cutting through my farm and a cyclist who has ridden sections of the Katy). But dig a little into articles on the Katy and the Rock Island line and you can find plenty of accounts. My quick google found accounts of crimes on other trails.

I could dredge up all up all sorts of news accounts if you have a legitimate interest, but I suspect your question is rhetorical. Further, I’m not opposed to trails. But I also value and respect property rights, security, and privacy. When those issues are taken into account, trails can be an asset to an area.

No problem. Just thought you’d have something informative to cite. Not planning to wade through a bunch of random goolgle hits.
Old 12-12-18, 10:19 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
If you have an extra minute, please support the Rock Island Trail petition to the governor of Missouri:

https://secure.railstotrails.org/sit...rAction&id=702
Old 12-13-18, 12:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I find the current attitude sanctifying the absolute exclusivity of private property to be disheartening. I'm guessing they don't allow the full lyrics of "This Land is Your Land" into schools.

Having said all that, a public trail is a whole different matter. I understand land owners wanting to be more restrictive when there is the potential for much greater use. Such use would lead to a host of potential issues and who needs the headaches. I would be hesitant to buy property abutting a public trail for that reason.
To recap- you are saddened people are protective of their property, but you recognize there are potential headaches for those who own property near trails and you would be hesitant tonown property near a trail.

brilliant**

as for Guthrie's This Land is Your Land- its not thst the full lyrics arent allowed in schools...they simply arent well known by anyone. Many, ive found, didnt kbow there are additional lyrics to whats commonly sung.
speaking of- Springsteen's cover from his decade live albums is amazing. It doesn't include the extra lyrics you are crying about, but it's nonetheless amazing.