Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Advocate Seldom Seen?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Advocate Seldom Seen?

Old 01-09-18, 04:54 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

The TRP are probably the best deal available for hydraulic brakes,
I am using bb7 mt brakes with Cane Creek long pull levers on the drop bars, I also have Tektro long pull levers, but the Cane Creek are more comfortable on the long days, and cost twice as much. I will stay with bb7 mountain brakes because they last and last.

I would like to switch from bar end shifters to friction shifters, thumb shifters mounted on the bars, closer to the stem. I am fear the bar ends will break sooner or later, and they are worn out anyway.

Did you learn anything about drop bar mounted thumb shifters?

I am refurbishing my poor neglected Fargo.

Last edited by chrisx; 01-09-18 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 06:47 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
There are some people who just use a Dremel to grind out some room in the clamp, but I haven't found any elegant solution.
Old 04-12-19, 02:46 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Sorry, I failed to post a picture of how it looks now that it is built up. I took it to Utah last week and tried it out on some trails, and Slickrock in Moab. This in turn has inspired me to get a suspension fork....

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-18-19 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 05:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Their website sucks.
Old 04-13-19, 10:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Their website sucks.
Well, they did go out of business.

Or, do you mean chain reaction?
Old 04-17-19, 07:11 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I didn't realize they went out of business. If they did, it was probably partially customer "service" related. My bike is nice enough. The service/communication after I gave them my money was nonexistent. Paid for fast shipping, didn't get a notification that the bike had shipped from their location for over a week. It was Very difficult to track down contact information(wasn't on the website??), and when I did, phone messages and emails were never replied to. Based on the bike itself, I could have been a repeat customer of their products. Given their service, there's no way I'd every buy from them again. ...Anywho, it sounds like they're basically just changing the name. I wonder why. Any ideas?

Last edited by 3speed; 04-17-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 07:23 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Their statement:

Advocate Cycles has been a labor of love for everyone involved. What started as an effort to make great bikes and give back to local, regional, and national cycling advocacy efforts has grown into a full bicycle line and an operational company that has given back successfully over the years. The reception from riders around the country and the world has far exceeded all of our expectations.

Along the way, we have learned that much of what we have created is working well, while other parts of our model are holding us back. In an effort to hang on to the pieces that are working well, continue to develop and deliver great bikes, and help to build an outstanding cycling community, we are closing Advocate Cycles. Moving forward, we are working on putting all of our knowledge, experience, and willingness to give back to the cycling community toward a newly established bicycle brand, Esker Cycles.

We consider our experience with Advocate Cycles to be a positive step forward in both building top tier cycling products as well as giving back as much money as possible to the cycling community that makes it possible to continue doing what we love. In our time as an active company, Advocate Cycles was able to deliver $85,000 toward local, regional, and national advocacy organizations and deliver over 600 top quality bikes to passionate riders and advocates.

The rider following of Advocate Cycles and the outpouring of support for our bikes has been exceptional, and we will continue to stand by those existing products as we move forward. Parts, warranty, and tech support for Advocate bikes will continue to be honored and supported. If you are one of those riders that owns an Advocate bike, we cannot thank you enough for your support. You have helped grow the mission of cycling advocacy throughout the country, and you own a timeless piece of that story.

Looking toward the future of Esker Cycles, we have been hard at work developing the brand and bringing to market our new bike models. Please stay tuned for more details on the release of these models, the Esker brand, and the work that we will be doing to continue with our heritage of building great bikes and giving back to the cycling community in the same spirit that we started.

We greatly appreciate your help in growing our bicycle company—your support has been instrumental in the success of our mission and we very much look forward to having you join us as we move forward.

-The Advocate Cycles Team
https://advocatecycles.com/the-future...vocate-cycles/
Old 04-19-19, 12:47 AM
Lovegasoline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Deadhead?
Old 04-19-19, 09:11 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor