Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikes: Replace Every Few Years vs. Keep 5/10+ Years?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikes: Replace Every Few Years vs. Keep 5/10+ Years?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 09:09 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
I used to be really into this compact crank craze but now I ride triple. I will never be out of gears and my chains will last forever. At the end of the day, most of the things you need in cycling has already been invented and you pay a lot of money out of peer pressure.
Peer pressure and marketing, and most marketing is false marketing but we swallow it hook line and sinker..
Old 05-05-19, 09:11 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t pay much attention to what the different linkages are but I’ve ridden a number of suspension systems and all of them, with the exception of the Epic’s inertial valve system, have inch wormed horribly at my weight.
Not only do you not pay much attention, you obviously haven't ridden many types of suspension if you're making this wildly inaccurate claim.

You can stop right there. I know what “actual mountain biking” is.
Your comments below prove that your idea of "mountain biking" is really out of touch with what millions of mountain bikers, on 2x and 1x systems, do every day.

As for gearing, I know a thing or two about that as well.
The kindest way to put it is that you think you you know a thing or two about mountain bike gearing. The reality is that you are quite confused, as you show below.

2x systems may have the range of triples but they lack the selection. There is a large hole in the middle of the shift pattern. With 1x systems, you have to choice of having a good low or a good high, you can’t have both. 1x and 2x systems might be good for the local skills park or ski area but out in the real world where an “actual mountain biker” rides, having a high, a middle and a low range is a good thing.
The truth:

There is no large hole in the middle of a 2x shift pattern.
Modern 1x systems have good low, and high gearing, for mountain biking.
Both 2x and 1x systems are great for real world mountain biking that isn't at a skills park or a ski area (you would know this if you understood what "real mountain biking" is).

Claiming that 2x or 1x is only good for local skills parks or a ski area really proves how out of touch you are with what "real mountain bikers" do on a daily basis.
Old 05-06-19, 07:49 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Peer pressure and marketing, and most marketing is false marketing but we swallow it hook line and sinker..
I have mixed feeling about this. I think this is generally true but....I have a 14 year old Masi with Dura Ace (AL frame) and a 4 day old Cannondale CAAD 12 w/105. The DA is amazingly good. The new 105 is better. Not by a lot but better. I also recently went from Ksyrium Elite clinchers on a Guru steel roadie to a Ksyrium Elite UST. I love the clinchers but the tubeless are better. Much better. OTOH, I am now on my 7th Ducati (one at a time) and it's a 2001 Monster S4. I wouldn't trade it for a 2019. Maybe it's just a matter of doing due diligence to see what is actual and what is "marketing." Just my thoughts.
Old 05-06-19, 07:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by sputniky
Not only do you not pay much attention, you obviously haven't ridden many types of suspension if you're making this wildly inaccurate claim.

Your comments below prove that your idea of "mountain biking" is really out of touch with what millions of mountain bikers, on 2x and 1x systems, do every day.

The kindest way to put it is that you think you you know a thing or two about mountain bike gearing. The reality is that you are quite confused, as you show below.

The truth:

There is no large hole in the middle of a 2x shift pattern.
Modern 1x systems have good low, and high gearing, for mountain biking.
Both 2x and 1x systems are great for real world mountain biking that isn't at a skills park or a ski area (you would know this if you understood what "real mountain biking" is).

Claiming that 2x or 1x is only good for local skills parks or a ski area really proves how out of touch you are with what "real mountain bikers" do on a daily basis.
Perhaps you can tell us what your qualifications are? Where do you ride? What is "real mountain biking?" How many types of mountain bike suspension have your ridden? How much do you weigh? What sort of grades do you climb? What's the gearing chart of your 1x or 2x that has no holes?

Until you provide something more than ad hominem attacks, I'm inclined to disregard your posts.
Old 05-06-19, 07:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Could people please knock off the “real mountain biking” nonsense?

There are plenty of “real mountain bikers” using 1x, 2x, and 3x. There are rational reasons to prefer more or fewer rings up front. I happen to find 2x (24/32 x 11-34) to work out better than 3x for MTB, but it does not work out for others.
Old 05-06-19, 08:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Could people please knock off the “real mountain biking” nonsense?

There are plenty of “real mountain bikers” using 1x, 2x, and 3x. There are rational reasons to prefer more or fewer rings up front. I happen to find 2x (24/32 x 11-34) to work out better than 3x for MTB, but it does not work out for others.
I fully agree. I don't question whether or not someone is a "real mountain biker" by the equipment they use. I happen to find that having the widest possible range for riding off-road works best for me. 1x and 2x are too limited in range and/or selection for my tastes. That doesn't say that my style of mountain biking is better or worse or that I'm not knowledgeable about the systems. I just have a different opinion.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-06-19, 08:33 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Perhaps you can tell us what your qualifications are? Where do you ride? What is "real mountain biking?" How many types of mountain bike suspension have your ridden? How much do you weigh? What sort of grades do you climb? What's the gearing chart of your 1x or 2x that has no holes?

Until you provide something more than ad hominem attacks, I'm inclined to disregard your posts.
I've got him on ignore. I'm sort of wondering what kind of sock puppet he is. On his third post (ever), he took me to task based on one of the Crazy Guy posts in my sig because I suggest caution on a very remote downhill. What newbie goes out and finds that kind of specific information?
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-06-19, 09:54 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Perhaps you can tell us what your qualifications are?
I'm just a guy that has been riding for 30+ years who knows that 1x and 2x systems are for more than "the local skills park or ski area" and that they are great "out in the real world where an “actual mountain biker” rides, despite what this Stuart guy claims. I'm the same guy that knows, through personal experience, that suspension technology didn't stop when Stuart's ancient Specialized was built.

Where do you ride?
I've ridden all over the US, and also in Canada, Mexico, Norway, and Sweden.

What is "real mountain biking?"
Something that is vastly different than what Stuart imagines it to be.

How many types of mountain bike suspension have your ridden?
Faux bar, Horst link, URT, DW, VPP VTK, Four by 4. I might have forgotten a few over the years.

How much do you weigh?
Non sequitur.

What sort of grades do you climb?
Sometimes steep ones. Sometimes gradual ones. Sometimes they're chunky and ledgy, sometimes the'y're baby bottom smooth.

What's the gearing chart of your 1x or 2x that has no holes?
My 2x10 (rip) was 38/24 - 11/36 and my 1x12 is 32 (or 30 for some rides) - 10/50. I'm sure you can find gearing charts if you're truly interested.

Until you provide something more than ad hominem attacks
You confusing the truth with ad hominem attacks.
Likes For sputniky:
Old 05-06-19, 10:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I also have 2 Specialized Epics which I consider to be the best cross country dual suspension bikes I’ve ever ridden. Every dually I’ve ever ridden has “inch wormed” and robbed me of energy. The Epics simply don’t do inch worm.
Somebody doesn't have much experience with riding different suspension systems then. Your Horst link Epics, as well as DW bikes, VPP bikes, VLK bikes, Four by 4 bikes, etc. don't inch worm.
What exactly is "inch worming"? I suspect you may each be talking about something a little different.

If you simply mean bobbing or otherwise giving unwanted movement when pedaling, there have been many designs that do this other than URTs. Many earlier Horst links (and other "faux-bar" designs) bobbed a lot, and even some VPP and DW-Link designs did not pedal great in the small ring. And there are a lot of designs out there now that pedal really, really well.

Also, Cyccommute did specify he was referring to bikes he has actually ridden, not every bike out there ever made.

It is interesting that suspension bobbing and 1x/2x/3x discussions are happening simultaneously, because they are related. One advantage of running fewer rings up front is that with less variation in chainline it requires fewer compromises in the suspension behavior when pedaling.

It is essentially impossible to get a suspension to behave optimally with rings ranging from 22t to 44t. The epic solved this problem with an inertia valve in the shock. This, along with the many "platform shocks" we saw in the mid 2000s, has the downside that it will never be as active and a shock without a platform. That may or may not be an issue for the rider in question.. 2x requires less compromise, but 1x really improved the situation. THIS is actually what pushed me to go 1x on my Turner 5-Spot: With 2x I found it behaved better in the 32t ring than the 24t ring (even better in a 36t when I tried it). Too much anti-squat in the 24t, and it works against me on rocky-rooty climbs. I only have one singletrack ride with the 1x setup now (32t ring), but already I noticed it is better when powering over rocks and root in my lowest couple gears. More active.
Old 05-06-19, 11:13 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
What exactly is "inch worming"? I suspect you may each be talking about something a little different.
"Inch worming" is when the wheel base elongates during the down stroke and you get a bit of a rebound in the neutral part of the pedaling circle that can feel like it springs you up. It's a "feature" of URTs.

Also, Cyccommute did specify he was referring to bikes he has actually ridden, not every bike out there ever made.
While there are many bikes out there, there aren't that many suspension systems, hence my response.

"I don’t pay much attention to what the different linkages are but I’ve ridden a number of suspension systems"
Old 05-06-19, 11:24 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
On his third post (ever), he took me to task based on one of the Crazy Guy posts in my sig because I suggest caution on a very remote downhill.
This is false.

I pointed out how ridiculous it was for you to suggest to someone that "learning how to mountain bike will go a very long ways to giving most people confidence to ride faster and better on pavement. You deal with all the things that give most road riders the heebie jeebies all the time." when you self-admittedly had to walk down a wide trail that is ho-hum, mundane, and no big deal. Heck, you even posted pictures of it.
Old 05-06-19, 11:26 AM
cyccommute 

If you simply mean bobbing or otherwise giving unwanted movement when pedaling, there have been many designs that do this other than URTs. Many earlier Horst links (and other "faux-bar" designs) bobbed a lot, and even some VPP and DW-Link designs did not pedal great in the small ring. And there are a lot of designs out there now that pedal really, really well.
I describe it as "inch worming" because the bike feels like riding an inch worm. Yes, the suspension systems that I have ridden all "bobbed" to a horrible extent. Every pedal stroke caused the bike to squat and release...hence the "inch worming". It robbed me of power and made me work harder to move the bike. Rides that I had done previously on a hardtail were more taxing and left me much more tired than without suspension.

The problem with the FSR may have been gearing related but revalving the shock (at no small expense) and running the shock at much higher pressures than it should have been run at...in excess of 250 PSI...alleviated the problem somewhat but it was still an issue. The fact that the measures I took alleviated the problem still says to me that it was the shock rather than gearing.

The bike that solved that problem was the inertial valved Epic. It doesn't bob when I pedal and the suspension becomes active when I need it. It really is a joy to ride. In fact, it solved the problem enough that I'm not really interested in shelling out money for newer designs. Isn't that the point of this thread as well? If you find something that works, is it really worth dumping that for something new that might be better?

The FSR was a 2005. I have ridden other, newer, suspension bikes since then and have not been impressed enough to throw out the Epic. I spent $2000 on the FSR for a bike that I didn't like and didn't work like I wanted. The Epic that replaced it was a 2003 and I spent another $2000 on it, even with taking most of the parts off the FSR to build the frame. Should I dump another $2000, $4000 or $5000 on a bike just to see if it is better than the Epic? Thanks, but I'll pass.

Old 05-06-19, 11:33 AM
rkwfxd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a bike that you really want and you will have and enjoy it for many many years.

I have a 20 year old bike with updates.
I have a 1 year old bike factory stock.
I have several bikes in-between.

Been riding the 1 year old bike exclusively for that past few months.

Rode the 20 year old bike yesterday.

I'll be upgrading the 1 year old bike to make it more like the 20 year old bike.

None of my bikes are for sale.

Constantly shopping for N+1.
Old 05-06-19, 11:39 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mine is doing fine after four decades. It even has a few of the original components. The front hub is still French, but I found I could re-grind the cones to avoid a re-lacing job. I have gone through a few front rims, but not the year that hub went rough. A bicycle is like a hammer or an aircraft - the basic identity has no set lifespan. There are DC-3s still making a living, but some have turbines.
I'd far rather ride than shop.
Old 05-06-19, 11:42 AM
Beobuck

Bikes: A Bridgestone RB-1 and a Rivendell Atlantis (I'm gearing up for touring).

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ADAP7IVE
I'm shopping now and so this question has been floating around my head. Do you buy a bike with the intention of replacing within 2-5 years, or buy with the intention to keep as long as possible? I realize this may change depending on the type of bike (it's easy to imagine MTBs getting replaced more often with the amount of punishment they take and the tech developments in that area), but what is your approach? Is it purely an economic decision for you, or are there other considerations at play? As always, thanks and have fun!
I agree completely with eja-botteccia:

Seriously, however, I bought my Bottecchia new in 1989 (after watching Lemond ride one).

I keep my bikes forever...too many good memories to replace them.

Between my oldest and newest bikes, I enjoy them all equally.:" I bought my Bridgestone RB1 in 1985; it was a great bike then, it's a great bike now. I have newer bikes, but they're becoming old friends, with lots of great memories.
Old 05-06-19, 11:48 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Should I dump another $2000, $4000 or $5000 on a bike just to see if it is better than the Epic? Thanks, but I'll pass.
Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers had their new bikes available for folks to try out before they buy? Maybe have a fleet of their new bikes that they drove around to different areas each week for riders to test ride? Or, if they weren't going to be in your area on your time table if your local bike shop offered bikes to test ride before buying? Better yet, what if your local bike shop offered any test ride fee towards a new bike purchase?

That would be amazing!

Once they get smart and start offering these programs, so people don't have to dump another $2000, $4000 or $5000 on a bike just to see if it is better, they should call them ..."demos."

I sure hope this novel idea catches on sometime.
Old 05-06-19, 12:02 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Keep the old bikes for as long as I can AND buy new bikes!

(This is the only correct answer. Pencils down. Test is over.)
I’ve kept my handmade steel one for 62 years; admittedly it has been modernized and repainted, but it’s still a great bike to ride.
Old 05-06-19, 12:49 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

My newest bike is a 1984 model🤷*♂️
Old 05-06-19, 04:38 PM
Nartker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about 45 years?

my daily rider is a Raleigh, steel Reynold 531frame in 1972. After 40 years in the garage, I put new wheels Ann derailers on it and have been riding it ever since.

The only mistake was I put 700 wheels on it, which were roughly an inch bigger that the ones it was built for. The top bar is now a bit of a nut buster. I’m
Old 05-06-19, 05:33 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
+1

I have a Specialized Hard Rock with front suspension that I bought new back in 1998/9 and for the 1st 10 years was not very committed to regular maintenance (such a bad boy!

I've replaced the obvious things...chainrings/crank, bottom bracket, cogs/cassette, brake pads, cables, tubes, tires. I also had to replace the front and rear V-brakes. I also intentionally replaced the twist grip shift and installed Shimano Thumb shifters (that was a nice change!

Still have the same rims (tho, I suspect the bearing races are prob'ly going to force me to replace my wheels). I have over 20,000 miles on the bike. Not a weekend warrior, just use it for exercise ~50 miles/wk.).

I've looked at newer bikes mainly becuz of the perceived sexiness of disc brakes, but I just can't bring myself to make the buy. And as long as I continue to maintain the Hard Rock, it serves me just fine, thank you

I expect it to last another 10+ years (it may outlive me.....

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I purchase bikes with the intention of keeping them as long as possible. I don't care about the latest new tech or new trends... As long the frame is solid I'll keep it.
Old 05-06-19, 05:56 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
That's my bike! The Junior 2 model. My 7-year-old grandson received the Junior 1 when he was 4. And yes, if I could get a bike with disc brakes good for hill climbing, time trialing, and gravel grinding, I would buy it. Or buy 4 more bikes. And another Junior 1.
Old 05-06-19, 05:58 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I find more corpulent tires such as the kind on mountain bikes do not go flat as easily or as often as thin tires.
Old 05-06-19, 06:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers had their new bikes available for folks to try out before they buy? Maybe have a fleet of their new bikes that they drove around to different areas each week for riders to test ride? Or, if they weren't going to be in your area on your time table if your local bike shop offered bikes to test ride before buying? Better yet, what if your local bike shop offered any test ride fee towards a new bike purchase?

That would be amazing!
Trek did that 2 years ago. They had a few different models in a few different sizes. Both my son and I test rode the new Domane SLR Disc. I rode a 56 and he road a 61. We went on a 30 minute ride and which included hills, rough road and a stretch of gravel. It was my first time on a bike with 30mm tubeless tires and disc brakes. I was very impressed but the Domane was too similar to my Emonda SLR. I would up buying a Cannondale SuperX the next year because I like what the Domane offered but wanted one a bit farther away from a road bike.
Old 05-06-19, 06:38 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Trek did that 2 years ago. They had a few different models in a few different sizes. Both my son and I test rode the new Domane SLR Disc. I rode a 56 and he road a 61. We went on a 30 minute ride and which included hills, rough road and a stretch of gravel. It was my first time on a bike with 30mm tubeless tires and disc brakes. I was very impressed but the Domane was too similar to my Emonda SLR. I would up buying a Cannondale SuperX the next year because I like what the Domane offered but wanted one a bit farther away from a road bike.
Yeah, bike companies and bike shops have had demo programs for decades which is why Stuart's "have to dump another $2000, $4000 or $5000 on a bike just to see if it is better" excuse is so strange.

I guess I need to select a more obvious sarcasm font next time.
Old 05-06-19, 07:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
YI guess I need to select a more obvious sarcasm font next time.
I use [/sarcasm]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.