Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Upright riding position for touring - Comfort

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Upright riding position for touring - Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 05:06 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rawklobster
Then I realized. They weren't as comfortable, and probably wanted to get to camp quick, so they could relax and be comfortable.
Is this a joke or do you actually think they rode faster than you because they were uncomfortable on their bikes?
Old 08-11-15, 07:21 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
I don't mind hand pressure if it's low enough that I don't experience any pain, but even the moderate hand pressure on my Brompton forced me to get Ergon grips and even then, it's only alleviated it for maybe 30 minutes from 5-8 minutes.
Got any photos of you in position, on the Pashley, the position where your hands go numb after 30mins?

Sounds like you might need to toy with saddle, bar and/or stem height, to get the balance right, such that your hands aren't taking quite the load. I, too, dislike the occasional numbing of the hands. Helps to have more positions, for the hands. But for me it's far better to nail the basic fore/aft loading so that it's nearly no issue to begin with. Grips and more hand positions end up just being icing on the cake.

Good luck, with whatever you choose.
Old 08-11-15, 08:12 PM
rawklobster

Bikes: Brompton M6R Raw, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, ICE Trike with Rohloff (SOLD) - Pacific Coast Highway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
When I'm on the back position pretty upright, definitely not sit up and beg though, because that's just hard work on a loaded bike. There are a lot of variables to play with. For example, I started out with a short stem so the rear bars were behind the stem. That just felt completely wrong descending because the bars moved weird. (That seems pretty important, not to have the braking (ie descending) hand position behind the axis of the stem wherever that projects up to your hand position) Then I had the original quill stem that was long but too low. Then a quill adapter that was great with height but with the bars angled back didn't make any difference to my body position. I wanted to be more upright when cruising and flat when wind bashing. Finally worked out about angling the bars forward a bit. That ended up with the back position a bit above the seat and the front a bit below. I'm definitely convinced you need at least one position where you can get down out of the wind, and that is comfortable to stay in, because normally you get those nasty headwinds on long open flat stretches. Being able to rest on your arms in an aero position is pretty good. I don't stand up much, because you can't really with 40-50kg of bike and junk (depends if I've picked up that evenings beer and supplies), but if I do the angled down side bars still work OK as a hand position.
The butterfly bars do have the hands angled opposite to the boscos in the braking position. My bars at the back slope down and slightly back towards the outside bend which seems like a fairly natural hand position, my wrist is neutral. They do feel a little weird at first because your hands are closer together, though my bars are fairly narrow overall.

The posters talking about being upright to see stuff are dead right. You want to be able to look around without getting a sore neck, otherwise what's the point of touring? May as well ride a bike path at home. That being said you can train your neck muscles a bit. So a totally upright position may feel great from the start, whereas bending you neck back might hurt a bit for a while until the muscles get their act together. In my "upright" position my neck is fine now, it hurt a bit for the first few days. Head down bashing into the wind I can't look around much without getting a bit sore, but then it's mostly flat, open and boring anyway!
Thanks for all the detail on your experience and experimenting. I never considered the neck being an issue. I presume that comes from more hunched and holding the head up? I've never experienced neck pain from any of the riding positions I've had over the years, but then again I haven't toured except with a recumbent trike, and that was opposite. I had a nice little white line across my neck from the fold in skin from having my chin down to be level. If I kept my neck straight, I would be looking up at the sky.

I do love how high I am on my Pashley. I can't touch the ground while on my seat, and just barely straddle the top bar. And with the upright position, I really do see everything, over cars in traffic, and it promotes looking around and enjoying the scenery.
Old 08-11-15, 08:21 PM
rawklobster

Bikes: Brompton M6R Raw, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, ICE Trike with Rohloff (SOLD) - Pacific Coast Highway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
Is this a joke or do you actually think they rode faster than you because they were uncomfortable on their bikes?
I don't think they did, I'm just guessing. And good chance I'm wrong. What I am sure of is that they seemed to skip most of the touring aspect. When I got there many hours after them, and asked if they had seen this, or that, or hiked here, or there, or saw the things with the whatever, they usually said no. As far as I knew, they just rode on the highway to get to camp. Or maybe they were secretive? Anyhoo, I'm not sure if they rode faster due to discomfort, or hunger, or whatever. But I do know they didn't seem to see or take in as much as me. That said, they did spend more time than me stopping at grocery stores, buying food, and cooking it. I would stop at places that served food. So perhaps budget factored into it? Maybe they didn't have locks or were scared to leave their bikes and gear? I hiked an incredibly large dune for just over an hour, and it was one of the highlights of my trip. But I was the only one in the group that did.

So, what is the reason they didn't take in the sights like me and spend more time at camp? Your guess is as good as mine. Does it matter why? Not really. Different strokes for different folks. Just like riding position. *smile*

Last edited by rawklobster; 08-11-15 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 08:23 PM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Got any photos of you in position, on the Pashley, the position where your hands go numb after 30mins?

Sounds like you might need to toy with saddle, bar and/or stem height, to get the balance right, such that your hands aren't taking quite the load. I, too, dislike the occasional numbing of the hands. Helps to have more positions, for the hands. But for me it's far better to nail the basic fore/aft loading so that it's nearly no issue to begin with. Grips and more hand positions end up just being icing on the cake.

Good luck, with whatever you choose.
I recently made my saddle level as it was pointed up a scoatch, and I found I had to push on the handlebars, even though I was still upright, because I kept sliding forward. So I pointed it up a bit, but not as much as before, and that seemed to solve it. I will try and get some pics of me on the Pashley. Would love to see what people think. Perhaps I'm not as sit-up-and-beg as I think, and my guess is I'm not. Would be good to know though.

I'll read up more on fore/aft loading. Not sure exactly what that's referring to.

Last edited by rawklobster; 08-11-15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 08:44 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I've never been comfortable with drop bars. If you have tried upright riding with less pressure on hands/arms/shoulders, what was the experience with more weight on your butt? I know it's less efficient, and I'm not against significant aero drag. Thanks for the Aero Bar suggestion, but I'm really just looking for anecdotal experience with upright riding. I'm willing to sacrifice efficient riding for comfort and avoid leaning forward. I'm hoping comfy tires (Big Bens) and a wide sprung Brooks with more surface area will help with the more-weight-on-butt.

There is tons of information on why drops/hunched are better, etc. Aero drag is better, efficiency is better, climbing is better... But what if the rider doesn't care about any of those things? Why would they still choose to ride that way if there's a more comfortable alternative? Perhaps because the alternative is also uncomfortable, but that's the question I'm looking to answer. I may find that nobody has managed comfortable long distance tour riding this way, but I'm hopeful.

Also consider that I will be pedalling relatively slowly. I don't like to ride too fast. Being in a hunched position doesn't sound very appealing at a slow pace.
Have ridden a few upright bikes for up to 2 hours, only one that was decidedly uncomfortable was a 1-size-fits-all Dahon folder with IIRC small-diameter straight bars, hands got numb after an hour. But in re upright bars I'd guess moustache or butterfly types probably more ergonomic for longer touring than MTB-style straights. Sprung Brooks sounds like a good idea & also one might consider a Thudbuster seat-post which has some positive reviews. Advantage of Thudbuster being that you get suspension w/whatever saddle you choose. Upright style places more weight on butt but OTOH plenty of drop-bar saddles aren't comfy either.

Millions of folks tour on upright bikes after all. In Europe lots of people go on short-medium tours with their regular ole' weekday city bikes, no? I'd say follow your instinct & go w/upright.
Old 08-11-15, 08:45 PM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you need a set up that gets more comfortable as you ride along. Having a uncomfortable bike means you will just ride less and less. try a few different seats and handle bars out until you find the right set up. also keep a tool in your kit that lets you can change the handle bars to different position and up or down
Old 08-11-15, 08:57 PM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Have ridden a few upright bikes for up to 2 hours, only one that was decidedly uncomfortable was a 1-size-fits-all Dahon folder with IIRC small-diameter straight bars, hands got numb after an hour. But in re upright bars I'd guess moustache or butterfly types probably more ergonomic for longer touring than MTB-style straights. Sprung Brooks sounds like a good idea & also one might consider a Thudbuster seat-post which has some positive reviews. Advantage of Thudbuster being that you get suspension w/whatever saddle you choose. Upright style places more weight on butt but OTOH plenty of drop-bar saddles aren't comfy either.

Millions of folks tour on upright bikes after all. In Europe lots of people go on short-medium tours with their regular ole' weekday city bikes, no? I'd say follow your instinct & go w/upright.
I wish I knew more of them, or seen more of them. I've heard Europeans ride this way, but unsure if they toured that way as well. Definitely *more* upright, but this gives more peace of mind. Thanks!!!

I was told about Thudbuster, but I've had good success with sprung Brooks on my Pashley. And with Big Ben tires, it will be nice and plush riding.

My instinct is definitely upright. Just don't want to make an expensive mistake in case my gut is wrong. *smile*
Old 08-11-15, 08:59 PM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elmore leonard
you need a set up that gets more comfortable as you ride along. Having a uncomfortable bike means you will just ride less and less. try a few different seats and handle bars out until you find the right set up. also keep a tool in your kit that lets you can change the handle bars to different position and up or down
Cheers! I think my Pashley is really comfortable, but perhaps not for super long rides. I'm going to experiment by attempting 100km (I'll have options to shorten the ride if need be) on it, and space out the riding like I would on a tour, and stop frequently for breaks and sights.
Old 08-11-15, 09:35 PM
DanBell

snip
Interesting with the other information. It certainly sounds like of the people you met on that tour, they might not have been stopping as frequently as you. It's just a bit of a leap to suggest that the reason for that is that they're uncomfortable on their bikes. As noted earlier in the thread though, people tour for different reasons and get enjoyment out of different aspects of a tour, which will lead to different decisions about how far or fast to go, when and where to stop, food, lodging, etc. And that's one of the things I love about cycling. It's so many things to so many people. I love the infinite variety you see in the way people utilize and enjoy bicycles.

In any event, I hope your IF turns out to be the bike you're looking for and you right bolt upright chasing the sun to the next adventure.
Old 08-11-15, 10:05 PM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting with the other information. It certainly sounds like of the people you met on that tour, they might not have been stopping as frequently as you. It's just a bit of a leap to suggest that the reason for that is that they're uncomfortable on their bikes. As noted earlier in the thread though, people tour for different reasons and get enjoyment out of different aspects of a tour, which will lead to different decisions about how far or fast to go, when and where to stop, food, lodging, etc. And that's one of the things I love about cycling. It's so many things to so many people. I love the infinite variety you see in the way people utilize and enjoy bicycles.

In any event, I hope your IF turns out to be the bike you're looking for and you right bolt upright chasing the sun to the next adventure.
I don't remember if I got that thought because I heard it, or if it was just trying to make sense of it. I'll ask the guy it might have come from if it was uttered. It may also come from the two ways I used to ride. With my steep geometry mountain bike which was uncomfortable, I was a speed demon, and I *definitely* rode fast so I could get where I was going and be done with the uncomfortable position. I'm not sure I even acknowledge that as the reason at the time. But, I slowed down considerably and started enjoying the ride once I got a more upright comfortable bike. I do like to have bursts of speed from time to time, but usually it's leisurely. Only time I try and ride fast is when I'm tired and just want to get into bed.

I hope you don't think I was criticizing. That wasn't my intention. And I don't think they had a better or worse trip than me. Just different. But in consideration of the type of bike I want to build, I do want a machine that can get me from place to place comfortably. I think the IF will do it for me. I'll send them the Pashley Geometry and if I am sore after my 100km experiment, I'll tell them what I don't like. Even though it's a year away, I'm stoked for my next adventure! Bordeaux -> Budapest -> Belgrade!!! Thanks for your well wishes!

Last edited by rawklobster; 08-11-15 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 10:18 PM
DanBell

I hope you don't think I was criticizing.
I didn't take it that way at all. I think it was you who noted earlier that people tour in different ways.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I'm doing Washington state to South America from spring next year and I'm already counting down the days.
Old 08-11-15, 10:33 PM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't take it that way at all. I think it was you who noted earlier that people tour in different ways.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I'm doing Washington state to South America from spring next year and I'm already counting down the days.
Cool cool! If you want any notes on the Pacific coast Highway, if that's part of the route, check out my blog and if you have any questions, let me know. If you cook versus order food, that's cool, but do not miss the fish place for all-you-can-eat fish for $9.99. Some of the best fish and chips I've ever had in my life!!!
Old 08-11-15, 10:41 PM
DanBell

Thanks for the link! I'm looking at my route now so I'll let you know if I have any questions! Ok, enough thread hijacking. Back to discussing the merits of upright riding.
Old 08-11-15, 11:37 PM
marlowe

Bikes: Surly Disc LHT, Surly Ogre, Schwinn LeTour, Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upright and comfortable with Jones Bars

Great read here on these posts. I just rode 1100 miles/journey on a Surly Disc Trucker with the Jones H-bars. I really wanted the more upright position for the trip. So i brought the handlebars up somewhat with extensions and tilted the H-bar up as the pic shows. I rode 30-60 mile average days and did some century runs also. On a headwind day the upright position noticeably slowed you down. Due to my size I like to say it was like a box sitting on a box. So the wind could really make life miserable at times. But overall, I really liked the sitting up position. You can read my blog of the trip at the link. Going Home.
Marlowe
Great Falls, MT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Surlytrip.jpg (103.2 KB, 535 views)

Last edited by marlowe; 08-11-15 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Pic Added
Old 08-11-15, 11:58 PM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marlowe
Great read here on these posts. I just rode 1100 miles/journey on a Surly Disc Trucker with the Jones H-bars. I really wanted the more upright position for the trip. So i brought the handlebars up somewhat with extensions and tilted the H-bar up as the pic shows. I rode 30-60 mile average days and did some century runs also. On a headwind day the upright position noticeably slowed you down. Due to my size I like to say it was like a box sitting on a box. So the wind could really make life miserable at times. But overall, I really liked the sitting up position. You can read my blog of the trip at the link. Going Home.
Marlowe
Great Falls, MT.
Looks like a great rig! And I think I see springs on the saddle! The more evidence and stories about upright riding, the more confidence I have that I can move ahead with such a rig. Thanks Marlowe! Will take a look at your blog too!
Old 08-12-15, 12:05 AM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link! I'm looking at my route now so I'll let you know if I have any questions! Ok, enough thread hijacking. Back to discussing the merits of upright riding.
Hehehe... Sounds good. But one quick note... Get this book, as it has great turn-by-turn directions between campsites. Usually around 100km/60miles/day Not all of them are great, but the distances are good. Just BEWARE of the "optional" campsites listed before or after the main suggestion. And although it's not a great campsite, consider my choice over the KOA (the only time where they say you have no other options) if you want to pay less. It wasn't bad, and quite scenic getting there. And a nice trip out too! Right before Eureka if memory serves.
Old 08-12-15, 02:09 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
A sprung seat post or saddle is a must if you're upright. I have the former with an imitation Brooks (a Gyes). That works well.
Old 08-12-15, 02:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
I'll read up more on fore/aft loading. Not sure exactly what that's referring to.
Just meant that the amount of weight on your tush versus your hands varies depending on settings. (How much weight is forward versus rearward.) Check the saddle height and position, along with the bar height, stem height, stem length. Everyone's different, given differing levels of fitness, age/injuries, preferences for comfort, etc.
Old 08-12-15, 07:03 AM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
A sprung seat post or saddle is a must if you're upright. I have the former with an imitation Brooks (a Gyes). That works well.
Yeah... With more weight on the derriere, some kind of suspension will be needed. My method is a sprung seat and Big Ben tires, which are big and plush.
Old 08-12-15, 07:04 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As far as efficiency at most I get about a 3 MPH difference between the upright Randonee and my drop bar AWOL and loaded or unloaded I notice that I still pass more than get passed, not that I try it's just my pace. My daughter and I ride together a bit when she's in town and when we pass road bikers on the upright she sometimes sings the Wizard of Oz melody as we go by, she really does it to make fun of me as I also get the "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too" a lot when I load it on the car.

Maybe instead of going for a custom frame you can spend the money on two bikes and decide for yourself, you may find each will serve a purpose for you. If I had to trim my herd to one bike the Vaya would be the first to go but I'd be hard pressed to choose between the AWOL and the Randonee with Boscos as both are really fun to ride. On long scenic rides I'd give the edge to the Randonee but in all fairness I've yet to try the AWOL on multi day rides. I always say I'm going to try the AWOL on multi day rides but end up taking the Randonee because I know I'll be comfortable on it day after day.
Old 08-12-15, 07:09 AM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Just meant that the amount of weight on your tush versus your hands varies depending on settings. (How much weight is forward versus rearward.) Check the saddle height and position, along with the bar height, stem height, stem length. Everyone's different, given differing levels of fitness, age/injuries, preferences for comfort, etc.
Thanks Clyde! When I got my KHS mountain bike, I didn't know much about cockpit or steep geometry. When I complained about my hands AND butt hurting, particularly my perineum, the response was that the bike was meant to distribute weight evenly between all 3 spots... Hands, Feet and butt. I tried, but it wasn't at all enjoyable for me. I ended up moving the stem and bars closer, and got a more plush seat, but neither of those things only helped a little. So I sent the bike to my cottage where it's used for short fun rides around the cottage complex. The first time I rode a Dutch bike on a test ride, the grin on my face was constant, reliving childhood posture. It was so enjoyable! I want that same feeling of joy in a rig that can take me the distance comfortably.
Old 08-12-15, 07:30 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
My instinct is definitely upright. Just don't want to make an expensive mistake in case my gut is wrong. *smile*
I think you need to work on bike fit, perhaps with a good local fitter, before you start talking to a framebuilder. You don't need a custom frame to adjust your riding position as that is easily managed with simple component changes. Find a setup that works before you commit to a custom frame.
Old 08-12-15, 07:37 AM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
As far as efficiency at most I get about a 3 MPH difference between the upright Randonee and my drop bar AWOL and loaded or unloaded I notice that I still pass more than get passed, not that I try it's just my pace. My daughter and I ride together a bit when she's in town and when we pass road bikers on the upright she sometimes sings the Wizard of Oz melody as we go by, she really does it to make fun of me as I also get the "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too" a lot when I load it on the car.

Maybe instead of going for a custom frame you can spend the money on two bikes and decide for yourself, you may find each will serve a purpose for you. If I had to trim my herd to one bike the Vaya would be the first to go but I'd be hard pressed to choose between the AWOL and the Randonee with Boscos as both are really fun to ride. On long scenic rides I'd give the edge to the Randonee but in all fairness I've yet to try the AWOL on multi day rides. I always say I'm going to try the AWOL on multi day rides but end up taking the Randonee because I know I'll be comfortable on it day after day.
Yeah... I sometimes pass people on my upright. Usually at lights when they don't use their gears. I can accelerate on my super-heavy Pashley (the thing is a tank at almost 45 lbs, if not more) when using gears appropriately.

I've had many bikes, for many purposes, but after much thought, I've decided to reduce the number as much as possible. I've had as many as 5 bikes (one was a trike) at one time, but only ever used 1. The KHS I kept for nostalgia. It's now in Egypt, barely ever used and needs a tune-up, because it had been sitting for 7-8 years. Next time I go I'm bringing new cables. I recently sold my BMX bike (I bought it to learn freestyle but found it wasn't for me so promptly sold it) and my Trike (don't really have a good place to store it, and can *only* use it for touring or around the city on paths. I'm never motivated to use it because of the hassle of getting it in and out of my condo, plus the huge amount of space it takes up. The Pashley I might keep. We'll see if the new Tour bike is as beautiful and comfy, and if I'll feel safe locking it in the city to catch a movie or have drinks with friends. Might continue to use the Pashley for that. And then finally, I have thew Brompton. As much as it isn't super comfortable, it's fine for commuting, but I've never locked it up, and sometimes it's a situation where I don't feel I can carry it around easily. I do want to get by with less, particularly that I love in a condo. But the Condominium is looking at installing better solutions for bike storage, so I might be able to keep the Pashley somewhere convenient for commuting, and the Touring bike for leisure rides and touring. I have a feeling I'll take her out for rides just for fun, while the Pashley is really only for getting somewhere I need to be.
Old 08-12-15, 07:46 AM
rawklobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I think you need to work on bike fit, perhaps with a good local fitter, before you start talking to a framebuilder. You don't need a custom frame to adjust your riding position as that is easily managed with simple component changes. Find a setup that works before you commit to a custom frame.
Excellent advice! I'll check with MEC that has bike fitting for a fee. I could ask to be fit to one of their tour bikes, even though I won't be buying it, and take it from there. Maybe I could even negotiate a follow up with the custom bike once built to be included in the initial fee. I just fear that the fitting will be adjusted for "efficiency" rather than for what I want. I've seen people being fitted, and they are almost exclusively roadies. When I mentioned wanting to get fit on a Dutch bike before I bought it (and the bike shop fit me well enough that it was comfy) they said to just come in on a Tuesday when the fitting guy was around and he'd probably do it for free. Unsure why, but perhaps because it's not a "serious" bike? Anyhoo, worth going in and asking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.