Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2 French guys riding in US, we love it!!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2 French guys riding in US, we love it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 04:51 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Nice videos and story of your journey.

Have you decided on the route you will take for the entire trip, or are you going to "wing it" at least part of the way?

Sounds like you are both having a great time, so far.

Be safe.
Old 04-14-18, 05:10 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredandsveta
Good evening!!

Right now we are in the Welcome Center of the Monument Valley, stack there from 2 days because of the crazy wind and dust storm... impossible to stay outside!
But the nice men working at the Welcome Center offered us a place where to stay .

We feel a bit sorry to not be able to answer to each of your comments, it take a lot of time and we don't have often internet. But we read everything!

Here the link of our third little movie :
S01.E03 - Historical 66, highway 89, from Kingman to Flagstaff

We had a look for Vimeo, but it cost about 70€/year to be able to upload more than 500mo by week....

We wish you all all the best, tomorrow we take the road to Page and North Rim Grand Canyon.

So how did you get the shots of you two riding on the bicycle? Did you use the drone? If so how where you able to control the drone while riding the bicysle?
Old 04-14-18, 08:45 AM
Fredandsveta

Bikes: Tandem bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good morning!

Thanks so much for your feedbacks and encouraging words !!

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Nice videos and story of your journey.

Have you decided on the route you will take for the entire trip, or are you going to "wing it" at least part of the way?

Sounds like you are both having a great time, so far.

Be safe.
With the help of you guys from USA on this forum and on voyageforum.com we drew this draft, considering mainly the season and the good places to see :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Py...vU&usp=sharing

Originally Posted by spinnaker
So how did you get the shots of you two riding on the bicycle? Did you use the drone? If so how where you able to control the drone while riding the bicysle?
When we ride the drone is always in automatic mod (tracking, tpafly, etc...)
we use a DJI Mavic Air, wich is full of smart automatic mode.
but I keep the RC in front of me, fixed by velcro on the camera pannier.

we wish you a good day!!
Sveta and Fred
Old 04-14-18, 11:44 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
great videos! hope there's not too much snow on the arizona highway 67 and you can make it to the north rim of the grand canyon
Old 04-14-18, 11:47 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Thanks so much for your feedbacks and encouraging words !!

When we ride the drone is always in automatic mod (tracking, tpafly, etc...)
we use a DJI Mavic Air, wich is full of smart automatic mode.
but I keep the RC in front of me, fixed by velcro on the camera pannier.

we wish you a good day!!
Sveta and Fred

Wow that is really cool. I did not know it could do that!

You are very courageous flying it over those valleys!

Any chance you will be coming to Pittsburgh and ending your trip on the Great Allegheny Passage? I live very close by, you are welcome to stay if I am here. Just PM me.
Old 04-14-18, 11:49 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Oh I see your map. Flying out of Salt Lake? Too bad you will be missing eastern US which is also very nice.

Last edited by spinnaker; 04-14-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 04:18 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Welcome to the U.S. Love the videos, I've tried to do video a few times so I can appreciate how difficult it is. You have a real talent for it. Glad you are enjoying yourselves here. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-14-18, 05:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Great stuff !, been following since L.A.

One BIG concern is your camping in an arroyo. These are the (currently) dry river beds and at some point a whole lot of water carved that bed. You can get rain way in the distance, but not in your location, yet that arroyo will fill suddenly. Many, many people get killed by unexpected floods in the southwest U.S. and while this is not the monsoon season (later June and July), you need to be careful.

Love the drone work.

As well, before heading down that long dead end to the North Rim, make sure they are open as it’s typically sometime in May. Remember as well that that entire Kaibab plateau is at 8,000 ft and it’s still late winter.
Old 04-15-18, 07:04 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Oh I see your map. Flying out of Salt Lake? Too bad you will be missing eastern US which is also very nice.

Yes but I can see how the western US would appeal more esp to Europeans with the wide-open spaces & scenery being more different than what they see at home. Plus they have the huge South America segment to do.

I like the combination of spoken English & French sub-titles, a nice little French refresher lesson.
Old 04-16-18, 05:59 PM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We know, your country is so huge and so interesting.... we need life time to see everything!!!
But sure we will come back!!
Old 04-16-18, 06:11 PM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Great stuff !, been following since L.A.

One BIG concern is your camping in an arroyo. These are the (currently) dry river beds and at some point a whole lot of water carved that bed. You can get rain way in the distance, but not in your location, yet that arroyo will fill suddenly. Many, many people get killed by unexpected floods in the southwest U.S. and while this is not the monsoon season (later June and July), you need to be careful.

Love the drone work.

As well, before heading down that long dead end to the North Rim, make sure they are open as it’s typically sometime in May. Remember as well that that entire Kaibab plateau is at 8,000 ft and it’s still late winter.
Ususally before pitch the tent in the dry river bed we make sure that there is not rain coming in the night. we "try" to stay aware of this
Everywhere, even in the Death Valley, we see the big wash tracks which keep reminding us that sometime there is dangerous flood. But hard to imagine in all those so dry places....

The Nort Rim will open on May 15th, no service ther until this. Our plan is to make sure that there is at list some water there, just a tap. If not we will calculate to carry enough water for 3 days, food that don't need water to be cooked, and no shower
If we meet a Park Ranger we will try to have his agreement to ride there, and will try convince him or here with a lot of charm!
If there is snow on the road... so we can't go....
This is going to be a challenge!!
Old 04-16-18, 07:39 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Ususally before pitch the tent in the dry river bed we make sure that there is not rain coming in the night. we "try" to stay aware of this
Everywhere, even in the Death Valley, we see the big wash tracks which keep reminding us that sometime there is dangerous flood. But hard to imagine in all those so dry places....
I do not personally have the experience, but I have read from reliable sources that flash floods can happen from rain falling very very far away, and can surprise you easily when you would not expect it.
I think the safest thing is to ask around from locals who really know the area to hear about if certain months of the year are more prone to this happening.
I suspect it is rare, but do keep it in mind and try to get some proper info on it.
Old 04-17-18, 07:18 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I do not personally have the experience, but I have read from reliable sources that flash floods can happen from rain falling very very far away, and can surprise you easily when you would not expect it.
I think the safest thing is to ask around from locals who really know the area to hear about if certain months of the year are more prone to this happening.
I suspect it is rare, but do keep it in mind and try to get some proper info on it.
Those kind of localized intense monsoon storms don't occur in the West at this time of year. The rain they had in Death Valley was part of a huge regional storm covering basically the whole western US, and certainly did not sneak up on anyone.
Old 04-17-18, 07:26 PM
djb

Originally Posted by stevepusser
Those kind of localized intense monsoon storms don't occur in the West at this time of year. The rain they had in Death Valley was part of a huge regional storm covering basically the whole western US, and certainly did not sneak up on anyone.
good to know. I just have vague memories of reading of this sort of surprise flooding from trip journals Ive read over the years, perhaps these were more in places like South America and other far off places.
I figured it best just to bring up the topic, as I know its something that is rare but can happen in some places from storms that take place a long way away--but again, I just dont have the experience and or knowledge personally.
Old 04-19-18, 11:12 PM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick message!
We are at Jacob Lake, and tomorrow will try to reach the closed North Rim Grand Canyon, hope the PArk Rangers will be ok to allow a bike.
We expect a bit of snow, but not that much, and a good weather in the coming days.

Cross the fingers for us!!
Sveta and Fred
Old 04-22-18, 01:08 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I can't wait for the next video installment. This has been one of the funnest threads I've followed in a long while. Keep them coming. I'll be sad when you fly back home, but appreciative of all you've shared.
Old 05-07-18, 02:05 PM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear friends,

Finally we have a good internet access and we are able to share our next little movie !

We are a Escalante, enjoying 2 resting days in an hostel, present from our mothers for Fred's birthday
Hope you will enjoy this little production as we enjoyed to make it
1080 and full screen recommended, click on the "Youtube" at the lower right corner.

All the best
Sveta and Fred
Old 05-07-18, 03:42 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Wonderful video!

It looks like you both are having a wonderful time. Even with all the mountain lions, elk, squirrels and other wildlife around.

It's amazing how useful that drone camera is, for documenting the trip. Beautiful filming.

Enjoy.
Old 05-07-18, 05:36 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
glad you were able to make it to the north rim of the grand canyon. since you managed to
make it to escalante, utah, looks like you managed to hitch a ride through the zion tunnel or retraced your route a bit. fantastic video. thanks for sharing!
Old 05-08-18, 11:00 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Wonderful as always. The drone footage adds a unique dimension to the typical touring video's, few are as well conceived and constructed even without a drone.

Sorry to hear about the $130 fine from the park ranger. In retrospective, he let you stay and it can cost that much if not more to rent a cabin when the park is open, so money well spent. As well you timed it well to not find a road closed due to snow.

As always, stay safe.
Old 05-09-18, 12:04 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Very much enjoyed your video. Merci.
Old 05-15-18, 05:12 PM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fifth movie in US :)

Good evening everybody !!

Thanks Berner, Steve B., ooga-booga and Clyde1820 for your comments! it's encouraging!
For the tunnel at the North of Zion we found a ride in the South Campground at Zion, and we enjoyed it directly to Bryce!! we know that not fear, but we don't care!!
Right now we are at Price, a bit too much in advance for our airplane on May 28th, we just need 4 days to reach our last WarmShowers host in SLC downtown. But we need time there to prepare everything, so that's fine.

So here is our fifth movie in US, a special one...
We made a stop in Colorado City, hosted by a nice couple through the WarmShowers, and we finally discovered that we are in a Fundamentalist Polygamist Mormons Community, oops!!!
We found the situation so incredible that we decided to make a little "documentary" and share the story of this community, because in Europe at list we don't know about the FLDS.
So, much more text than usual, but we think it's interesting and good to know about it.

Old 05-15-18, 05:32 PM
djb

Those Romans are crazy n'est ce pas?
An interesting experience I'm sure, and one that doesn't surprise me that much given my similar experiences with Americans a few times.
Very curious indeed.
Old 05-16-18, 05:40 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Polyglots meet Polygamists ... news at 7 :-)
Old 05-16-18, 04:53 PM
Steve B.

G
We found the situation so incredible that we decided to make a little "documentary" and share the story of this community, because in Europe at list we don't know about the FLDS.
S
You happened to stumble into the town that's the hotbed of Fundamentalist LDS in the US. This is in part due to the geography of being in Arizona, yet right next to Utah, and as a result of being on the north side of the Colorado River, is reasonably far away from the AZ. state government, The result is the locals have their own little enclave away from the law, so to speak. Thus polygamy and other mostly illegal activities, with the local mayor and most local government officials, including local law enforcement, being in many instances hand picked by local religious leaders who thus look the other way.

There has been a concerted effort by the state to crack down on the illegal marriages,etc..... and some changes are occuring.

It will certainly be an interesting side note to your journey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.