Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Motorists Killing Pedestrians at 3-Decade High

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 12:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/28/healt...-bn/index.html

I have a hunch that the cause of the increase in pedestrian smacking also translates to cyclists getting smacked.
Old 02-28-19, 03:06 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
This looks familiar. Does it have anything to do with the other thread about Detroit and the 40% increase in pedestrian fatalities?

"While we have made progress reducing fatalities among many other road users in the past decade, pedestrian deaths have risen 35 percent,"
Old 03-01-19, 07:05 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
The researchers attribute the increase to:

* More people who are walking and are therefore more exposed;
* nighttime crossings on local roads away from intersections;
* unsafe driving behaviors like speeding or distracted or drowsy driving;
* alcohol consumption and smartphone use by both drivers and pedestrians;
* and a rise in the number of SUVs, which generally cause more severe pedestrian injuries.

How about self driving cars?

How about Google Maps directing motorists to "short-cuts" through residential neighborhoods?

Last edited by parkbrav; 03-01-19 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-01-19, 11:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by parkbrav

How about Google Maps directing motorists to "short-cuts" through residential neighborhoods?
NOOOOOOOO! That's where I bike!

Does Google really do this??
Old 03-01-19, 11:48 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
NOOOOOOOO! That's where I bike!

Does Google really do this??
No I meant motorists, not cyclists

Yeah, I've seen articles on the local tv news about communities that are asking Google etc. to de-list certain roads from their services because of the increased traffic.
Old 03-01-19, 12:14 PM
parkbrav

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/11/...pps-commuters/
Old 03-01-19, 12:26 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
It won't ever get better until the penalty is greater than that of a repeat marijuana dealer or person stealing a television.

You know, an ACTUAL prison term for someone who takes a life while driving a car.

There is no such thing as an accident. Only incidents.

Puts some texting minivan moms in prison for 10 years for vehicular homicide and people will start to notice.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-01-19, 12:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts

* and a rise in the number of SUVs, which generally cause more severe pedestrian injuries.
Distracted/impaired driving and walking is probably the biggest factor. it used to be only drunks drove without noticing and only drunks staggered off the sidewalk unaware. Now it is common to all drivers and pedestrians.
Well, there aren't enough of them to make a difference yet .... unless you think the one fatality caused by a self-driving car should count for more, or something ....

This is a real issue---people who were too lazy to find the back routes and now try to drive near-highway speeds though residential neighborhoods .... navigation programs give the thinking-man's edge to those too stupid or lazy to think.

I lived in a city for a while where the rush-hour highway gridlock was ridiculous---I was vastly faster on a bike at 15 mph than a car. However, Every side-route and back-route had been discovered, because local government ignored the problem for so long. There were no better driving routes ... every stop sign was a traffic jam. I had to go deep into residential neighborhoods to find safe cycling---to the point where the added low-speed mileage would have slowed a car more than waiting at a stop sign. It was worth it to me .... but for most people who had bought homes in "quiet" neighborhoods 15 or 20 years before, suddenly they were living on main rush-hour arteries.

I cannot imagine what the place is like now.
Old 03-01-19, 01:22 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

No I meant motorists, not cyclists...
I know I know! I weave my way through mostly quiet back streets to get away from traffic, sometimes doubling or tripling my route. Now you tell me that Google is SENDING cars my way too. I so loved the days when motorists were too stoopid to discover those back streets actually went somewhere. We have very few cul-de-sacs in New Orleans/Jefferson Parish so I can literally bike across the entire Metro area from end to end on back streets with very few impasses.

Now I know why at rush hours there are more cars on those quiet streets than ever before. Google is trying to BYPASS the clogged main arteries. Waaaaaaaa!
Old 03-01-19, 04:12 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I wonder how many of those deaths are from people walking in the road instead of using a sidewalk? I see that a lot out in my area, and have never been able to figure out why people wouldn't rather be on the sidewalk instead of in the street. What's really odd is seeing adults bicycling on the sidewalks while people walk in the street.
Old 03-01-19, 04:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

if I were walking I'd feel safer on the street than fighting for space with people who didn't have the confidence in their riding skills to use the street. Bikes on sidewalks are a menace.
Old 03-01-19, 06:22 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I wonder how many of those deaths are from people walking in the road instead of using a sidewalk?
I wonder how many of those deaths are from people driving on pavement (sidewalks) instead of using a road?

But please, let us blame the crushees.

-mr. bill
Old 03-01-19, 11:28 PM
Daniel4

"The increase also comes at a time in which all other traffic deaths are on the decline, according to the report."

The article didn't state what those numbers were but I think motorist deaths would still be in the 30,000s.

Now I'm sure if there were real efforts made to reduce motorist deaths by improving driver behaviour, pedestrian fatalities and all others would decline too.
Old 03-02-19, 12:02 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I have long been a proponent of keeping quiet back streets quiet before smart phones. I lived near Golden Gate Park and sent my share of letters, and once pics of a bad accident in the park involving cars (two people left in ambulances, glad I wasn't riding) when the deranged lady in the Volvo ran numerous stop signs at 45 mph. At the time I believe my complaints fell on deaf ears, but I like to think a few of us making noise over the years has helped. I never felt the park or back streets were a good outlet for frustrated and harried commuters. It seems obvious to us, but drivers like to protect their right to blast down every street.
Old 03-02-19, 12:09 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Also, I think traffic deaths are down by a great amount - in relation to miles driven - due to the evolving safety of automobiles in high speed crashes. Phones just make safety way worse for everyone.
Old 03-02-19, 02:42 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by venturi95
Also, I think traffic deaths are down by a great amount - in relation to miles driven - due to the evolving safety of automobiles in high speed crashes. Phones just make safety way worse for everyone.
This is real. Car engineering has evolved tremendously and very rapidly. People survive a lot more wrecks just because of crumple zones, multiple airbags, passive protections like bolsters and head rests .... wrecks that would have killed not so long ago are treated with a couple aspirin nowadays ... the only reason deaths haven't really plummeted is that more stupid people with even less regard for safety are driving while even more distracted. IMO.
Old 03-02-19, 04:00 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

Cars are already semi-autonomous driving, and in addition they have pedestrian avoidance technology. If anything, pedestrian accidents (all accidents for that matter) should be decreasing.
Old 03-02-19, 05:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
roads have gotten a lot safer for cars as well. But this means that every road looks like a freeway.
Old 03-02-19, 07:51 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by no motor?
I wonder how many of those deaths are from people walking in the road instead of using a sidewalk? I see that a lot out in my area, and have never been able to figure out why people wouldn't rather be on the sidewalk instead of in the street. What's really odd is seeing adults bicycling on the sidewalks while people walk in the street.
You make a good point. Up here in Boston, when they plow the roads, they push all the snow from the road onto the sidewalk, often obliterating the sidewalks for all of winter.
Old 03-02-19, 08:46 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Maelochs
This is real. Car engineering has evolved tremendously and very rapidly. People survive a lot more wrecks just because of crumple zones, multiple airbags, passive protections like bolsters and head rests .... wrecks that would have killed not so long ago are treated with a couple aspirin nowadays ... the only reason deaths haven't really plummeted is that more stupid people with even less regard for safety are driving while even more distracted. IMO.
Yes, the car certainly has improved but the driver hasn't.

Notice recently that new cars have so many semi-autonomous capabilities available. There's self parallel parking, rear view detection, lane deviation, forward collision mitigation, etc . A great ad slogan that will never be used would be "The car for the bad driver."

Since the only factor that prohibits serious reduction in road safety is the driver, the obvious solution would be to remove the driver. Can't wait for self-driving cars.
Old 03-02-19, 09:55 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if England was the same. The standard of driving here only goes in one direction, and I have a few ideas as to why.

1) Police - lack of them, lack of proper policing, effect on attitudes toward them.
2) Brat brigade. Everyone is in a hurry to save time. I don't know what they do with the time saved, tho...
3) Cars - never has it been so easy and comfortable to throw two tons of iron around.
Old 03-02-19, 10:23 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

I wonder how many of those deaths are from people driving on pavement (sidewalks) instead of using a road?

But please, let us blame the crushees.

-mr. bill
I bet you're in favor of the ninja salmon too.

Out in the northwest suburbs there's a yearly event held in the winter that attracts hundreds of people walking in the roads, often in the dark and with kids. The cops warn people about this because the walkers have no desire to walk on the sidewalks and the cops do what they can to minimize the potential problems.

You make a good point. Up here in Boston, when they plow the roads, they push all the snow from the road onto the sidewalk, often obliterating the sidewalks for all of winter.
I see this in the warmer months when snow and ice isn't an issue.
Old 03-02-19, 11:09 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
For cyclists:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/p...facts/bicycles

The number of cyclist fatalities generally decreased from 1975 to 2000, then has remained fairly stable since then. A slight increase in the last few years. 2017 was lower than the previous two years.

The number of cyclists on the road of course varies with the economy and social trends. And, the US population and number of cars and miles driven have steadily been increasing.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M12MTVUSM227NFWA

Old 03-02-19, 11:16 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
One of the pedestrian deaths was attributed to a self driving car.

https://www.economist.com/the-econom...d-a-pedestrian

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...ver/724542002/
Old 03-02-19, 02:13 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by CliffordK
One and only one .... ever.

That particular incident has been hashed to death .... and so far it is the only one. Not a factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.