Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever get hit by a bird?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-16-19, 11:24 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts

I was minding my own business, riding my ride...when from the side 2 small birds, fighting with each other, fly in front of me, bounce off my chest, and go on their way...that was a first for me! Anyone had anything interesting bounce off of you on your ride?
Old 04-16-19, 11:25 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
Not a bird, but a bat once.

Hood Smack & Mystery Bat.

Last edited by base2; 04-16-19 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
Plenty of bugs, including some very large ones, crossing the country. Large grasshoppers hurt the most.

A bird once got caught in my front spokes. It got flipped under my front wheel. Its neck exploded when I ran over it. Sad.

Came within a yard hitting a deer while descending during my first cross-PA.

A few years ago, a friend of mine got hit in the head by a goose. She crashed, suffered a concussion and shoulder injury. The force of the impact ruptured the goose's abdomen. It fell to the ground and literally spilled its guts in the roadway.
Old 04-16-19, 11:45 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Chased by a badger once when I went for a night ride when I used to work nights. I think it tried to bite the tyre but released instantly when it's mouth started to rise. Hard to tell as I was cycling hard at the time trying to get away from it and didn't look back. I only really knew it was happening because in the dead of night I could hear it approach and hear snuffly noises. In fairness it could have been something else but I'd encountered badgers before and the sounds seemed similar. I ought to do that again sometime as the atmosphere of riding at night was quite unique and memorable perhaps not in the same area as the badger though and perhaps with company next time.
Old 04-16-19, 12:53 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two birds, and a rabbit one time riding single track. Poor thing jumped straight up and bounced off my lights into the brush!
Old 04-16-19, 02:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Never been hit by a bird, but had some angry birds chase me for passing too close to their telephone wires.
Old 04-16-19, 03:34 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 492 Posts
No bird hits yet but many close and minor encounters with squirrels which are a general problem for many bikers as can be seen below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=squi...w=1500&bih=779
Old 04-16-19, 04:17 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
No bird hits yet but many close and minor encounters with squirrels which are a general problem for many bikers as can be seen below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=squirrel+bike+accidents&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi014TVx9XhAhUsHTQIHW57AW4QsAR6BA gIEAE&biw=1500&bih=779
Buddy of mine had a squirrel try to cross the path with very bad timing. Went through the wheel, and two half squirrels came out the other side :-/
Old 04-16-19, 04:54 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Never been hit by a bird, but had some angry birds chase me for passing too close to their telephone wires.
Same. It was Spring so I'm sure it had made a nest (I could hear the babies chirping). It was in my neighbor's tree and every time I'm walk by it would kamikaze dive my head. Even when I crossed the street it still would come after me. Thing is, I'd watch as other walked by and it didn't attack them. Even when I crossed the street it still came after me.

For a little sparrow it was quite aggressive and had me running away like a scared little girl. I ended up walking in the other direction and around the block for that entire season.

If birds can become that aggressive when they have offspring I can only imagine what a bear would be like. I hope I never have to find out.
Old 04-16-19, 05:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
On election day 2016 I was buzzed by a bald eagle. It was an omen, but I'm still not sure of what
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-17-19, 03:29 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
ive been attacked 2 years in a row by crows at one specific place. the feathery bastards drew blood both times.

also have a buddy who has hit so many pigeons on his bike that he is traumatized and semi freaks out when riding g near pigeons, does not want to kill any more.
Old 04-17-19, 06:54 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
I have been chased and attacked by mockingbirds. The little buggers can be aggressive.
Old 04-17-19, 07:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I was taken down hard once by a duck. I was skimming along a bike path. The bird must have been on the ground. It spooked and flew into my rear wheel. I went down hard. To get the bike rolling again, I had to bang the front wheel in the road to straighten it out so it would pass through the forks. I had to unhook the front brake so I had to ride slow going home. And it took me a while to get the damn feathers out of my rear campy derailleur, .
Old 04-17-19, 08:15 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
ive been attacked 2 years in a row by crows at one specific place. the feathery bastards drew blood both times.

also have a buddy who has hit so many pigeons on his bike that he is traumatized and semi freaks out when riding g near pigeons, does not want to kill any more.
What? The likelihood of that happening would be infinitesimal.That is unless he's intentionally riding through flocks and startling pigeons? I guess this is a joke?
Old 04-17-19, 08:22 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
What? The likelihood of that happening would be infinitesimal.That is unless he's intentionally riding through flocks and startling pigeons? I guess this is a joke?
not a joke we have either suicidally depressed pigeons or really slow/ lazy ones. i found out about this when i saw him making wayyy too much of a fuzz about getting pigeons out of the way and semi freaking out. that's when i heard this fact, and i started to crack up. i do believe it though hell ex ended up accidentally kicking a pigeon while walking.
Old 04-17-19, 11:53 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
yes, swallows under bridges a couple of times. Also some crazy mean geese a time or two
Old 04-18-19, 03:52 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Yes. I got clocked by a hawk diving for a squirrel at the side of the trail. Epic endo. You know that Danny MacAskil video where he does the backflip off the bank, spins around and keeps on riding? It was nothing like that. I coughed up dirt for two days after that faceplant.

Last edited by JLDickmon; 04-18-19 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 04:01 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Decapitated a pigeon once when it flew into my front wheel.

I was riding with a friend who thought it would be funny to chase geese. Two of them took off and flew into me. One got caught under my arms and the other beat me with its wings trying to get enough speed to fly away. Both had incredibly strong, boney wings. My "friend" thought it was hilarious.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-18-19, 05:53 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
GEESE ARE VERY EVIL! : The wife and I took our first born to a local park in our two wheeled cart 30 years ago. We were sitting down having a picnic and had placed our sleeping daughter in the cart, while I put moves on the wife. I heard a scream. A goose had its beak over one of my daughters big toes and I grabbed the goose by the neck and head. At the same time I was getting the goose of of my daughter. A female deputy was screaming at me not to hurt the goose. I turned toward her and released the goose. I did not know a goose could put up such a fight. I had only got the goose away from my daughter. The deputy had taken the full brunt of its wrath. I had to pull the goose off of the deputy. She looked pretty roughed up. Here eyes were glazed over and her hand was over the hilt of her gun. I think she was contemplating shooting me and the goose. At this point my little girl was pointing at the deputy and laughing. The deputy appeared to get over it.
Old 04-18-19, 11:34 PM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I got hit by a fairly large butterfly. Left an orange smudge.
Old 04-18-19, 11:38 PM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by phile

Very possibly the same birds. Some birds can remember a person who disturbed them and later pick him out of a crowd, and crows are especially smart.
Old 04-18-19, 11:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Never had an issue with birds. Did have a seagull poop as he flew over me and hit the stem at the handlebars - perfectly. I don't think it was an accident but I also don't think it was malicious.

Seagulls are birds that like to have fun. I watched a gull dive vertically in a Pacific storm in an updraft off the end of our building. Every break I would go out and look. He kept diving non-stop for 4+ hours. Like a 200 mile mountain descent. He'd found gold.

Took a friend out to see Seal Rocks at the Golden Gate, again in a Pacific storm. 4 gulls were flying slowly and low upwind over the ocean waves, basically staying put. Every once in a while, one would fly up into the full wind, get shot 50' into the air and blown back. Dive back to the ocean 1/2 mile downwind and do the long, slow, hard flight back to his friends. A few minutes later, another would go for the ride.

So I think that gull that hit my bike was just doing target practice. What I don't know was whether that was a bullseye or he was aiming for my helmet.

Ben
Old 04-24-19, 10:36 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
A bat and have dodged rabbits a lot. I did run over a rattlesnake once on my mountain bike. He threw a hissy fit, I was more rattled than he was.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-25-19, 06:16 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Got hit in the head once about 15 years ago by a wild duck that had taken off about 80 metres away and just kept flying straight at me. It kept flying after it hit me; fortunately, I was wearing a helmet.

Magpies are the worst birds in my experience. I used to ride through a cross road in the middle of a small town near where I lived at the time, at a certain time of the year, there would be at least one magpie patrolling to attack any passing cyclists from behind.

In three hits, I had lacerations on the back of my neck and a couple of nicks in my ear lobe. I've encountered magpies in other places while riding, but this one had become an expert in nip attacks.

Some advice to me was to wear cable ties on either side of the back of the helmet to make it look like another animal looking up at the sky. It worked a bit, but still didn't stop from them squawking loudly and flying downward in attack-mode.

Ironic that when away from that annual period, they can be quite friendly passers-by on the ground, and don't attack from the air.
Old 06-07-19, 05:50 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I was just riding along and THUMP a bat with (obviously) defective sonar hit my sternum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.