Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Testing the New Brooks Cambium Saddle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Road Testing the New Brooks Cambium Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 11:36 AM
JAG410

Bikes: A few ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ridiculously priced. I was a buyer at under $100. Not anymore.
Old 06-17-13, 12:10 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WalterBeans
I can't get over the price. I registered, wasn't selected obviously but just got an email today about the limited run. My price was discounted, but only 130 euros. That's more than their leather offerings. I was actually looking forward to trying one. I will wait for the price to drop significantly.
Hmm I didn't get any discount offer which I was surprised by. I think when they do into regular production we will see the price come down a bit.
Old 06-17-13, 12:22 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'll wait until they're sitting around for a year and get liquidated.

I don't see anyone paying that much for a 400+ gram fabric saddle with steel rails. I can get a ti rail leather B-17 at this price, or a Berthoud (almost).
Old 06-17-13, 12:43 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
145 Euros might be the "special edition" price, maybe? I also won't be buying one at that price. At $125 or less I would buy one for my Colian, I have always felt the Brooks Pro looks a little out of place on that bike with its modern group, etc. But at $193... No, sorry.
Old 06-23-13, 05:13 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by JAG410
Ridiculously priced. I was a buyer at under $100. Not anymore.
I lost track of this thread.

We were talking on our ride about this saddle yesterday though.

Not one of the seven riders had interest at this price point.

Yet four of those seven own very high end bicycles that have Brooks leather saddles.

I am curious about the focus group research that would give this one the go ahead at that price point.

There must be another new market for them to pursue.

At least according to their research.

I certainly will continue to use and enjoy Brooks products, but I guess I am not their intended market.

Agree with Aaron on the Velomine tip.
Old 06-24-13, 06:01 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
maybe the market is new bicyclists who only know that brooks is the thing to have, and then proceed to pick the most practical and cheapest one of the line...
Old 06-24-13, 06:47 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I lost track of this thread. We were talking on our ride about this saddle yesterday though. Not one of the seven riders had interest at this price point. Yet four of those seven own very high end bicycles that have Brooks leather saddles. I am curious about the focus group research that would give this one the go ahead at that price point. There must be another new market for them to pursue.
Originally Posted by Italuminium
maybe the market is new bicyclists who only know that brooks is the thing to have, and then proceed to pick the most practical and cheapest one of the line...
Let's consider three factors: Aesthetics, price point, and functionality - and remember this is only one person's opinion.

Aesthetically, the saddle design is a marginal call in my mind. It appeals to some and to others it is somewhat hideous: few people seem to be falling in between those extremes, which is interesting - but somewhat academic, because the role of designer is to meet the "wants" and desires of a purchasing population. (Sadly, the days of mass market designing for "needs" passed us by with Raymond Lowe.) So Brooks may have missed the mark in designing a saddle with limited appeal. Even though there is a niche market whose fancy this design seems to tickle, Brooks is in and of itself already a niche market: I fear the market therefore is limited from the outset. If that is the Brooks business plan, then I'll be interested to see how they move forward with things. For what it's worth, I was not initially in love with the look of the fabric covering, even though I do favor the Regal-like form. I've warmed up to the look, mounted to my Boulder, over the past few weeks - but I hesitate to mount it to one of my more vintage-ish bikes because I think the look may be a little too jarring.

Price Point. As already noted, Brooks misses the mark here. Just because a company prices something at a certain point doesn't make the perception of value exist in the eyes of a buying populace. This further limits the marketability of a product and - I am guessing here - I believe the demographic for pricey saddles may not overlap the market for this particular design aesthetic. End of story.

Functionality. For me, the functionality of a saddle is all about durability and comfort. The materials seems to be quite durable and after many outings of four and five hours at a time, my early fear that the rubber base would soften and sag under prolonged body contact - and thus, temperature - well, that has thus far proved to be unfounded. We'll only know through time and use ultimately how durable this product proves to be, but my initial thoughts are positive. Which leaves comfort. And it is here that the saddle excels. It is comfortable right out of the box and continues to be so throughout the length of a ride. There seems to be (for me) no hot spots; every position is potentially a sweet spot in fact - and that, frankly, is more than a little amazing. I think this would make an excellent saddle for someone wanting to enter the Brooks world for the first time (other than the ridiculous price point, so once again it seems designers and marketing personnel failed to communicate); I like it for long days in the saddle riding. I don't have any plans to do extended touring this summer and would love to hear from someone using the Cambium for that purpose.
Old 06-24-13, 07:12 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by AZORCH
Let's consider three factors: Aesthetics, price point, and functionality - and remember this is only one person's opinion.

Aesthetically, the saddle design is a marginal call in my mind. It appeals to some and to others it is somewhat hideous: few people seem to be falling in between those extremes, which is interesting - but somewhat academic, because the role of designer is to meet the "wants" and desires of a purchasing population. (Sadly, the days of mass market designing for "needs" passed us by with Raymond Lowe.) So Brooks may have missed the mark in designing a saddle with limited appeal. Even though there is a niche market whose fancy this design seems to tickle, Brooks is in and of itself already a niche market: I fear the market therefore is limited from the outset. If that is the Brooks business plan, then I'll be interested to see how they move forward with things. For what it's worth, I was not initially in love with the look of the fabric covering, even though I do favor the Regal-like form. I've warmed up to the look, mounted to my Boulder, over the past few weeks - but I hesitate to mount it to one of my more vintage-ish bikes because I think the look may be a little too jarring.

Price Point. As already noted, Brooks misses the mark here. Just because a company prices something at a certain point doesn't make the perception of value exist in the eyes of a buying populace. This further limits the marketability of a product and - I am guessing here - I believe the demographic for pricey saddles may not overlap the market for this particular design aesthetic. End of story.

Functionality. For me, the functionality of a saddle is all about durability and comfort. The materials seems to be quite durable and after many outings of four and five hours at a time, my early fear that the rubber base would soften and sag under prolonged body contact - and thus, temperature - well, that has thus far proved to be unfounded. We'll only know through time and use ultimately how durable this product proves to be, but my initial thoughts are positive. Which leaves comfort. And it is here that the saddle excels. It is comfortable right out of the box and continues to be so throughout the length of a ride. There seems to be (for me) no hot spots; every position is potentially a sweet spot in fact - and that, frankly, is more than a little amazing. I think this would make an excellent saddle for someone wanting to enter the Brooks world for the first time (other than the ridiculous price point, so once again it seems designers and marketing personnel failed to communicate); I like it for long days in the saddle riding. I don't have any plans to do extended touring this summer and would love to hear from someone using the Cambium for that purpose.
Thank you for taking the time to share this information with all of the forum members.

Noticed and appreciated.
Old 06-24-13, 07:16 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 348 Posts
Azorch, what's the fabric surface like? It seems to me that it would be sort of "grippy." One of the things that I have always liked about Brooks (and other leather) saddles is that the smooth surface makes it easy to slide forward or backward a bit with minimal friction, so you can adjust your position for going uphill, downhill, or cruising on flats. I may be inventing an imaginary problem--riding one of the saddles would answer that question right away. Although as others have said, the price means that I won't be trying a Cambium anytime soon. Or ever, more likely.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 06-24-13, 08:02 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Azorch, again a very good and balanced review. Good call on brooks for choosing you as a tester
Old 06-24-13, 08:09 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
Azorch, what's the fabric surface like?
It is a little grippy, which came as a surprise to me. (Shouldn't have, I suppose.) But the bigger surprise is that I don't find it objectionable; nor is it ridiculously sticky either. I can easily slide to where I want to situate myself, however it's also easier to "plant" myself too. It's a different experience than the super slickness of a well polished leather saddle, but not objectionable (to me...YMMV.)
Old 07-09-13, 05:39 PM
jim hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just skimmed most of this thread, and the Cambium sounds like exactly what I want. The price is high, but it's a new product aimed at the high end. If it were available, I'd buy one right now. Unfortunately, it looks like a tedious and long-drawn-out campaign of pre-announcement, 'public beta', 'limited edition', 'click here to be notified', 'pre-order', and other forms of viral marketing. This stuff tends to turn me against a product. It also sounds like Brooks isn't really committed and might yet pull the plug.

Brooks' web site does say they're (apparently?) taking orders for September but... waiting until "workers return from their summer holidays" ... seriously?

Last edited by jim hughes; 07-09-13 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-09-13, 05:49 PM
nybble

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone leave it out in the rain? Saw chipcom mention that he had, but didn't get the "after" post. Would love to know how waterproof it was.
Old 07-11-13, 04:17 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
If the saddle is truly water proof, it sounds like the saddle for my Kona build.
Price point aside - I am planning on paying for once, and riding for years.
Old 07-31-13, 09:00 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got an email yesterday that mine shipped. Really looking forward to it.
Old 07-31-13, 10:13 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by dpeters11
I just got an email yesterday that mine shipped. Really looking forward to it.
Did you buy the limited edition model from Brooks directly?
Old 08-01-13, 06:01 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
I saw one at BAMF, maybe on a DiNucci. Cool saddle. Looks much better in person than in photos.
Old 08-01-13, 07:31 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I saw one at BAMF, maybe on a DiNucci. Cool saddle. Looks much better in person than in photos.
I agree. Mine arrived yesterday, #137 of 1000. While it looks different, it does have a certain classy "Brooks" look to it. When I showed it to my wife she really liked it. I had not realized it is made in Italy.

Originally I too had thought the price was too high, but I was given a $ gift after a funeral. The widow insisted her husband would want me to buy something for my bikes. I decided it might be the perfect saddle for my winter bike when I ride through all sorts of salty-sandy runoff.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 08-01-13 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 07:34 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
The saddle was on the Pegoretti John Coltrane special. I spoke to Dario about it and he has tried out the saddle and spoken to a number of other testers, all have spoken very highly about the comfort. As Azorch mentions at first thought one expects it to be sticky but in use this is not at all the case. Likewise, when needed, the saddle gives you more grippiness than any of the smooth leather or carbon fiber saddles. The upper can also be readily replaced by the rider in a few minutes. The upper is made of fully natural rubber. I also think that most people on this list are inveterate cheapskates (me likely included) and are simply out of touch with what prices are presently being paid for high end saddles: take a look at this saddle: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia...-carbon-rails/ or https://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-san-ma...carbon-saddle/. I think the prices asked are in line with where they need to be for the general market. The weight is also not outrageous and from what I understand, they are working on bringing it down further.
Old 08-01-13, 07:46 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
^ Yes, but those saddles are 1/4 of the weight of the Cambrium (115g and 105g respectively). Plus they have "carbon" in their name, which immediately has one reaching for the wallet, much like digital, or nano, or quantum

I too think they are overpriced. I think I read one poster (maybe on paceline) who had one and said it ate a pair of Assos bibs, which would not be good.
Old 08-01-13, 11:21 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
The saddle was on the Pegoretti John Coltrane special. I spoke to Dario about it and he has tried out the saddle and spoken to a number of other testers, all have spoken very highly about the comfort. As Azorch mentions at first thought one expects it to be sticky but in use this is not at all the case. Likewise, when needed, the saddle gives you more grippiness than any of the smooth leather or carbon fiber saddles. The upper can also be readily replaced by the rider in a few minutes. The upper is made of fully natural rubber. I also think that most people on this list are inveterate cheapskates (me likely included) and are simply out of touch with what prices are presently being paid for high end saddles: take a look at this saddle: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia...-carbon-rails/ or https://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-san-ma...carbon-saddle/. I think the prices asked are in line with where they need to be for the general market. The weight is also not outrageous and from what I understand, they are working on bringing it down further.
I think the high priced saddles you noted are mostly being sold at those prices on the basis of them being super lightweight "high tech" exotic components. This Brooks Cambium saddle might cost just as much to make, but unfortunately it does not have the "high tech" cachet that cyclists today are more than willing to pay for with big bucks. which results in many not taking the pricing favorably right away...
On the other hand, the design used by companies like Berthoud seemed to have pulled in more interest, despite its very high pricing as it takes something very familiar/traditional as the leather suspension saddle, and applied newer technology for its structural inderpinnings. Plus, admittedly many are just glad to finally find something new and cool from the French.....Everyione might have noticed that the hype on Berthouds have already mostly died down as most would suspect it would eventually, and I think the prices have stabilized and even slightly gone down a bit on some of them....
Other than the rubber base, which does not really give the saddle a "new tech" image, compared to CF and/or Ti present in other high priced saddles today, most might just look at the Cambium saddle as a very conventional design, except for it's unique cover material.....thus they are not willing to pay a high price for it.
I think it all comes down to the cyclist's perceived value of the saddle, and that has always been tricky to pinpoint for most companies competing in a very tough market. I'm sure the saddle makers are willing to sell for a fair price but they do have to push the price up to the maximum the market can bear for their saddle to be profitable and stay in business....
I suspect Brooks might still have to do some slight adjustments to their pricing as the production of their Cambium saddle ramps up to optimize profitability of their new product.
Old 08-01-13, 11:29 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

If I was in the market for a Peg or a bike of similar pedigree the price of the saddle is just a drop in the bucket. I think the cambium is right at home at modern steel bikes of the high end, and I think that's the market brooks is going for.
Old 08-01-13, 04:02 PM
gomango

Greetings from Banja Luka!

Too much misinformation for me.

I'll wait till I get home and try one for myself.

One says no wear on bibs, another says it eats bibs.

The internet can be a silly place.
Old 08-01-13, 06:24 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
So Brooks may have missed the mark in designing a saddle with limited appeal.
Define limited appeal. What is the annual sales goal? At $200 per, 50K units will bring $10MM annually. That ain't chump change for a single SKU.

As already noted, Brooks misses the mark here.
Why is that? Early adopters will always pay a premium. Also, you can't raise the price if you start too low, you can always lower a price. But it isn't a surprise that some of the cheapest people on earth find the price too high. I won't spend that money on that saddle, but it is still a pretty cool saddle in person.

my early fear that the rubber base would soften and sag under prolonged body contact - and thus, temperature - well, that has thus far proved to be unfounded.
Rubber is a thermoset. It will not soften with heat.
Old 08-01-13, 07:15 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Did you buy the limited edition model from Brooks directly?
Yes, shipped from Italy Wednesday, gets here tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.