Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

broken hip

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

broken hip

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 03:34 PM
mriley
mriley

Bikes: vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
broken hip

Has anyone here gone to a tricycle after breaking a hip? I've ridden DF bikes for 60 years, but after a recent fall, I'm thinking maybe a trike might be safer (tadpole, not a delta). I don't want to do this again! Any suggestions?
M Riley
Old 02-13-13, 06:26 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mriley
Has anyone here gone to a tricycle after breaking a hip? I've ridden DF bikes for 60 years, but after a recent fall, I'm thinking maybe a trike might be safer (tadpole, not a delta). I don't want to do this again! Any suggestions?
M Riley
Assuming you are healthy enough to pedal, recumbent trike is definitely what I'd recommend to anybody who want to ride, but don't want to risk falling. Note it is possible to tilt a trike, but it's much harder to do.

Which trike depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of riding you want to do. Suspension? Speed? Seat height? Do you have an idea of what you're looking for?

Regardless, the standard advice is to find a place that has some and try different ones and see what fits you.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 02-13-13, 08:10 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by mriley
Has anyone here gone to a tricycle after breaking a hip?
That would be me (actually my femur is what broke) but I don't have very much experience yet.

Mrs. Grouch and I have acquired a pair of Kettweisel Deltas that we can either ride separately or link together as a tandem. The big modification that I had to make was 152mm crank arms to reduce the range of motion at the hip joint. Mrs. Grouch also owns a Greenspeed GT3 that I can ride just fine but getting down onto it and back up off of it is about all that i can manage. The Delta Kett is mush easier for me to mount and dismount.

I had 3 serious accidents in a 3 year period that really messed with my head. I visited a psychologist for awhile without much result. Eventually my son-in-law used a tapping therapy on me that, while it sounds akin to voodoo, really worked. I'm looking forward to riding this year.
Old 02-14-13, 08:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
The other low option is a lowracer. Not that I'm recommending it, just sayin'...
Old 02-14-13, 08:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
No doubt about it a trike would be a good solution, and besides that they are really fun to ride!!!
Old 02-15-13, 01:10 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ouch!

I suggest immediate action as opposed to contemplation. The standard advice already mentioned is, in my book, excellent. Find a shop with a good selections of trikes, travel as necessary to get there, and commence test rides. While you are there a two-wheeled bent may whisper in your ear.

If you have problems finding a good bent shop, the advertiser head at BendRider Online is a good place to begin the search.
Old 02-15-13, 09:57 PM
tpy2010

Bikes: Trek 5500, 3 Catrike expeditions with various modifications, red line mountain bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd recommend a trike. The tadpole trikes tend to be lower, les ground clearance. One exception may be the terratrike Rover....might need some upgrades but it is an inexpensive entry level tadpole trike. The delta trikes are an option also, I don't know much about them, except what was written above. My wife and I have a couple of catrike expeditions, but they are close to the ground.

Tom
Creston, Iowa
Old 02-19-13, 10:33 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I don't know where in California you are, but if you're anywhere near LA, Bentupcycles in N. Hollywood has a good selection of trikes. About half their showroom is trikes.
Old 02-19-13, 11:39 PM
mriley
mriley

Bikes: vintage Schwinn

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'm the OP. Thanks for the help. I looked at ads for the Kettweisels, but boy are they expensive. I think I'll try something cheaper at first. I'm in Sacramento, and I think there are two trike stores near here, In Dixon and Citrus Heights. As soon as I get off my cane (or maybe sooner), I'll check them out. Sounds like I should try diff. types.
Old 02-20-13, 12:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3474 Post(s)
Liked 3,610 Times in 1,812 Posts
My suggestion is to get back on that horse. Don't let fear take control.

I broke my hip into 4 pieces in 2002, but I was back on the bike after 5 weeks. Best decision I could have made. I was riding for 4 weeks before I was able to walk.

It's been 10 years since the break, and I still have my original equipment (plus some screws and plates).

Ride bravely.

Old 02-23-13, 06:19 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
OP,,I don't know your overall condition,,
My useless 2 cents,,

A Recumbent Delta,,you mount in a more conventional way,,,
The tadpole,,you squat into...
I own a Delta,,the Sun EZ-3,,love it,, It does everything I ask of it very well...
I have been on two Tadpoles,,,, A real fun ride, a Blast.

Think of it this way,,

Delta=Big comfy car,,, A more relaxing ride and sitting up taller means a better view, and you are more visible to traffic.

Tadpole=Maserati,,,,Sitting down in a sportscar, hey Its worth the little extra effort, You will be faster, or at least the ride will feel faster, It was for me...
also 'Tads' are obviously easier to transport and take inside your home.

I wish I had both kinds.. I may one day because I will never sell my Delta.,,,,It will make a great E-bike.
FYI, A 'Mid Drive' E-bike lets you use the rear gears for outstanding acceleration and speed...

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:30 AM.